iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HM 126 New Guy

Started by WillWarner, April 29, 2014, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWarner

I have no experience in sawing other than that last month or so.  I had 40 or so eastern red cedars die this last year and decided I was going to build something out of them so I bought an HM 126 from Woodland Mills.  Mill and all works really great I have cut several hundred boards but I am using up blades terribly fast.  At least fast in my opinion.  As I have said I have no real experience other than just diving in on my own and now I am looking for help and knowledge as to why I am using blades.  I maybe have 10 to 15 hours on the machine and have used 6 blades. Any ideas?
Ephesians 2:8-10

thecfarm

WillWarner,welcome to the forum. I have no idea about red cedar,but the cedar I have will dull a blade faster than other trees. How are you getting the logs out of the woods? Dragging them on the ground will put a lot of dirt on them. I peel my cedar this time of year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, WillWarner. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

MAI

WillWarner,

Welcome to the FF. 

WillWarner

I dont really drag them around much mostly pull a trailer up along side of them and since I dont have a tractor i pick up one end at a time by hand and wrangle them up on the trailer then haul them to my pile.

Magicman

Hello WillWarner, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Yes, if you are talking about ERC, it will dull blades faster than most anything else, but not at the rate of a blade per hour.  If the blades are dulling then whatever your are sawing is dulling then, whether it be the Cedar, or dirt, or ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

Smaller mills will use blades faster than larger mills as well for a few reasons. 1. You have less band length. The longer the band the more teeth to take the wear. 2. You have less horsepower. Higher HP mills have enough power to push a dull blade further without bogging the engine. 3. Sometimes smaller mills are rated for less pressure on the band pulling it tight. The tighter the band the straighter it will cut once it starts getting dull. Beggining sawyers will also try to recover everything they can out of a log as well, meaning more cuts through the bark to save that 2x4. Sometimes you are better off leaving the waney 2x4 in the slab as far as band wear and time spent.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

backwoods sawyer

Next time you go to change a saw take a good look at how the saw is tracking on the wheels and how the saw is positioned at the guides. If it is running back on the wheel the wheel will push the set out of the saw and it will act like it needs to be changed even tho it is still sharp and it does need to be changed so that the teeth can be reset.
Just something to take a look at ;)

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

WillWarner

Thanks for the information fellas

JamieT

Welcome will! I also own a hm126. Make sure your guides are properly set, and blade tension is tight! Ive sawed up a ton of cedar so far and I feel like blades last longer on cedar. These guys been doing this a lot longer than I have! Cedar is really popular for people building fence posts  are you hitting metal? Sometimes you cant see anything until you hit it. Also take it slow, when I first started sawing I wanted to push thru as fast as possible. I learned to slow down real quick! Post some pics of your set up! These mills run great when they are set properly.
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

WillWarner

Have you had problems with your blade wheel belts?  I was running what I thought was proper tension and the belts began to deteriorate and it seemed like they were being crushed into the wheel groove; pinching out the top and tearing them up.

JamieT

No I haven't had any trouble. I thought I wore out a belt but a quick call to Neil and I was corrected. Make sure your running plenty of water. If you dont, the blade can heat up and possibly melt the belt. When you open the doors to the mill, how much of the blade is sticking out? Thats important to. The band should be flush with the back side of both wheels. You should have about 3/16th of the teeth sticking out the front. Close up pics would really help.
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

hackberry jake

If the band gets too hot to touch, you have a problem. As the band heats up, the metal expands and makes for a loose band that will take a dive on you (or a rise).
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

HaroldSiefke

I to have a woodland mill - frankastine...oh a little modified . I was told when I bought my mill not to buy one unless I bought the stuff to sharpen the blades. It was good advise. Good luck and happy milling :-)
Harold

Sodrawdy

HaroldSiefke, What did you buy to sharpen the blades? I have the HM126 and most blade sharpeners Ive seen cost as much as the mill.

Thank You Sponsors!