iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you have wavy boards, check your blade tension gauge for accuracy.

Started by DGK, April 28, 2014, 11:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGK

After 4 years of trying to troubleshoot why I was getting wavy boards in wide cuts, I have finally solved the problem. I borrowed a blade tension gauge (Starrett - saw tension gauge) from Wood-mizer and compared the borrowed saw tension gauge to my hydraulic tension gauge that is installed on my mill. It read between 300 - 500 psi difference. Now, I crank my tension up to 3000psi and and no more wave even on 24" wide cuts. :-)

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

VictorH

Do you plan to replace the gauge on the mill or just keep it turned up?  Thanks for the tip.

giant splinter

roll with it

drobertson

Nothing like knowing for sure! Never hurts to double check, in this case sounds like you nailed it.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

Hitting a nail is usually a bad thing when sawing, but I'm glad you nailed it.  Do you go with more tension for thicker blades?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

5quarter

DBoyt...I occasionally run .055"s and find that they'll run straight with a little less tension and still give me the benefit of the stiffer blade body. Others with higher HP mills probably run them with the same or greater tension with good results.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

DGK

I inquired about any possible damage to the machine from running higher than recommended blade tension and was told that there is little risk. I have never broken a .045 band but have broken the .055 with regular or lower tension. For now, the 7 deg 1.25 with standard set is working great.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Dave Shepard

I was told when the mill was delivered to pin the gauge at 3,000. Seems to like it just fine.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DGK

3000psi and sometimes over, is where I am running it now. According to the Starrett saw tension gauge, 3000 is equal to about 2600 on my mill.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

Larry

I've checked several with my gauge.  Most mills are off some, to a lot.  Doesn't seem to be brand specific either.  Its something that needs to be checked, possibly on a annual basis.

My TK won't tension 1 1/2" bands to factory spec but on the good side it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

On WM mills, make sure the two chrome rods are lubed properly.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Magicman

Two rods and one piston.  Anyway, I have three shiny things to squirt.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on April 29, 2014, 01:52:14 PM
smiley_thumbsup
Two are out in the open, the third is kind of hard to get to, just behind the others.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

backwoods sawyer

My gaudge only only goes to 120 lb I grease the zert daylie, give it 16 turns and run it at 80 psi ;D zero shiny rods to oil ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

highleadtimber16

Wood-Mizer told me today that higher tension reduces the chances of cracking and blades breaking. I just can't wrap my head around that theory. Anyone else been told this??
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

CalebL

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on April 30, 2014, 01:33:16 AM
Wood-Mizer told me today that higher tension reduces the chances of cracking and blades breaking. I just can't wrap my head around that theory. Anyone else been told this??

Yes.  Will at the Missouri branch has told me repeatedly to crank up the tension on the blades.  Less problems that way.  I have been doing this for 2 years without any problems. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

backwoods sawyer

my manual calls for 60 psi woodmizer recomended that i go as high as 90 psi when I was truoble shooting a tracking issue, (bad idler arm pivot bearing) i settled in at 80 psi. Haven't lost a saw to craking in a quite a while.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Magicman on April 29, 2014, 01:52:14 PM

The manual says nothing about squirting anything on the piston. That would be like going around and oiling all of the rods on all the hydraulic cylinders. :)

Magicman

OK, but hydraulic cylinders retract and keep the piston rod oily.  The piston rod on the blade tension does not and is always exposed to the elements.  While I am squirting two, I just do three.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!