iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Morel hunting

Started by DonT, April 28, 2014, 10:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

For the first time ever I am going to go morel hunting.Need some tips on what type of places to look.What to look for and anything else that might help me.  thx DonT

SPIKER

look for dead trees, standing dead as they grown along the root system of dead ones.   look around burnt (last years forest fire areas) and in areas logged but still with some good cover to keep them from drying out.   North sides of hills also is a good bet (again look for dead/downed trees etc.)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

drobertson

Not sure up yonder, around here it varies, sloping hills, around laydowns,  after rains followed by sun,  I like to cut rather than pull them,  it seems they come back year to year.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bibbyman

They are where you find them.  People even find them in cracks in sidewalks.   Around here,  people find them by the bushels along the Missouri River but some complain they contain sand from the soil.  I just hunt them here on the farm in the hills.  So far south facing hillsides have given up a few. I tend to look around black oak and ash.

Once you find one,  spend a lot of time looking close in the same area as often there are more.   Turn around and look behind you.   I'm always surprised at how many I walk past.

One spring I walked into the middle of this patch and almost stepped on one before I saw it.  Then another then another.   I went home and waited for the girls to get home from school and took them down to pick them. They were very excited until the supply ran out. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ET

Havn,t found one yet this year. I've looked 3 times now. I normally find mine around dead or dying elm and apple trees, especially on southern facing areas. Ive found them as early as April 14th, more commonly when the redbuds and apple trees are in full bloom. Carry them in a orange or onion sack so the spores fall out as you walk. Find 1 and normally you will get 3 or more. Sometimes they grow under my pines too. Good luck
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Bibbyman

I can tell you where I don't bother to look.  That's under walnut, Hickory or cedar.   I think the root system of these trees put off a chemical that suppresses them.   I found 10 this morning - all under ash or red oak.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

Bibbyman,too bad you could not get the girls together for another morel hunt picture.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Quote from: thecfarm on April 29, 2014, 12:02:10 PM
Bibbyman,too bad you could not get the girls together for another morel hunt picture.  :)

That picture was taken 6 years ago.  They have little interest in such things now.
Sawing since '94

terry f

Bibbyman, you are dead on about walking past them, when I see one I have to stop and readjust my eyes, those would be exceptional around here, but not unheard of.

drobertson

So true, it has been while sitting against a butt of a tree, waiting for the long beard that I spot them,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

Quote from: Bibbyman on April 29, 2014, 01:23:17 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on April 29, 2014, 12:02:10 PM

That picture was taken 6 years ago.  They have little interest in such things now.

Yep... guess that's part of being a kid. They get to the point they want to do bigger kid stuff.

But when they get older, they remember mushroom hunts like that with you and will want to do it with their kids.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

DonT

Nice Picture Bibbyman,Those are great memories.  Doing an elm removal on a farm I found a bunch a couple of years ago,the farmer enjoyed them. It is still cold here daytime high of 9 degrees c. Apple trees just have little buds,am I still a little early?

Bibbyman

Quote from: DonT on April 29, 2014, 09:14:11 PM
Nice Picture Bibbyman,Those are great memories.  Doing an elm removal on a farm I found a bunch a couple of years ago,the farmer enjoyed them. It is still cold here daytime high of 9 degrees c. Apple trees just have little buds,am I still a little early?

I'd say.  I've read that it takes a soil temperature of something like 50º average for three days to get them to pop.  My youngest son lives outside Minneapolis and they got snow yesterday.  He's been looking for them but not found any.   My luck improved today when I walked into the middle of a patch of 22.  Most were as big as a light bulb.  I've found maybe 50 so far, mostly 1, 2, and 3 at a time except for this mother load.
Sawing since '94

DonT

So if you found 1 in a spot today would you go back to that spot in a couple of days expecting more? Do you find them in the same general spots year after year?

Bibbyman

Quote from: DonT on April 30, 2014, 10:34:09 PM
So if you found 1 in a spot today would you go back to that spot in a couple of days expecting more? Do you find them in the same general spots year after year?

Yes. Especially early in the season.   We have a black oak tree on a rocky south facing point that has a broken down and burned ceder near its base that we have found mushrooms under for many years.   It's become the test spot to see if any has came up yet.  Last Saturday I found 4 under it but two were tiny and I left them.  I went back Monday and found 7. The two tiny ones had grown considerable.  And yes, they will grow.  I confirmed this last year by letting a couple stand and checked on their progress.   They grew until we had a hot sunny day with low humidity.  Then they dried and stopped growing.   

Now the spot where I found the bounty shown in the picture above had a few the next year and then none since.
Sawing since '94

Autocar

I found morals here yesturday they were about three inches tall and a fellow this morning at the resturant said they found black ones yesturday also. Goodluck everyone.
Bill

yukon cornelius

we have been finding them by the hundreds on our 30 acres. last year under the cedars was loaded, this year red oaks. some on white oaks. i have found more each trip this year than I have found in my whole life combined!  for the first time in my life I have been giving them away to others who haven't found any or cant get out anymore.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Bibbyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq1zOw0ejMo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Video shot with phone.  I found these near where I'd found a coupe a couple of days before.  Then I walked another mile and didn't find any more. That's the way it goes. 
Sawing since '94

DonT

Great video.  I was out Turkey hunting this morning and did not see any Morels,but you seem to have a lot more green than we do so I think I am a little early.

Bibbyman

How many morels does it take to fill a bread sack?  6 will fill one if big enough.  :)

We went on to find about 3 dozen this morning.  When butchered out they filled a 2 gallon tub.
Sawing since '94

terry f

DonT

Well done.  ok excuse my ignorance but what does "butchered out" mean.   DT

Bibbyman

Quote from: DonT on May 04, 2014, 11:21:17 PM
Well done.  ok excuse my ignorance but what does "butchered out" mean.   DT

Just a goofy way of saying Mary split them in half to wash out any bugs or dirt.

It got into the 80s yesterday and predicted to reach 90 tomorrow.  That will put an end to mushroom season.   We left a few dried out ones yesterday.
Sawing since '94

DonT

I guess we are a little behind.It might make it to 10c today that's about 50f.At least its not snowing.Feel free to send some of that warm weather north.

thecfarm

A good haul there Bibbyman.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!