iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

(BIG) Log Buying and Selling

Started by Fla._Deadheader, June 28, 2004, 08:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Anyone out there that deals with BIG logs, I have some questions.

We might have some BIG logs located. Lets say from 48" small end, to 120" small end.

We will have to sell them, and the mill we first started selling to was "getting" to us.

He buys using the International scale, and pays $2.00 bd/ft in the log.

As we all know, once you get to 23" dia, International and Doyle are pert near equal in scale.

I been playing with the calcitraters, using log volume, and, at 48" dia, you get 1325 ft Intl. and 1452 ft. Doyle. All figures are for a 12' log. As we get larger, the numbers go up drastically.

A 60" log has 2086 Intl. and 2352 Doyle. A 72" has 3020 Intl. and 3468 Doyle. An 84" has 4125 Intl. and 4800 Doyle. A 96" has 5402 Intl. and 6348 Doyle.

What would you guys do as far as dealing with this buyer???

1. Ask for Doyle scale over 24" ???
  2. Ask for .50 across the board for anything over 24" using Intl. scale ???
  3. Look for another buyer ???  
  4. Sell out and get a goobermint job and have time off to enjoy life a little ???  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

D._Frederick

Fla-_,

Have you given up on building your swing blade saw? If your logs were in lumber, would you have a market?

Could you have the buyers come out and "bid" on your logs?

Fla._Deadheader

Hi "D".  We have more solid logs now than we know what to do with. Can't seem to find that buyer that everyone says is looking for what we have.  ::) ::)

Anything over 6', we will have to store at a shipyard, where they have the crane to lift the big logs. Buyers would probably come and look. That was one option I didn't really want to get into.

Time and money have the "Swinger" on hold.
   First, it is ridiculed;

ARKANSAWYER

I would look into putting an ad in "LUMBERMEN'S"  to find buyers.   You could put an ad on the web or even put a log up for bid on Ebay.  You can put a good resurve on it and it would not cost much even if it does not sell.  The word would get out to people looking for that stuff.  See what it would cost to put an ad in "SAWMILL AND WOODLOT".
  Hire a swinger to saw them up.  It may sell good enough to pay till you can get your own mill.  Just a thinking.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

rebocardo

I agree, a 10 foot wide log might not sell on E-BAY, though it certainly would generate many links of interest. I doubt the guy with the F-16 for a few million sold it on E-BAY, though anyone really interested would have called him up. Everyone all over the world saw it.

Fla._Deadheader

Been looking on the web, off and on, all day, for "lumbermens" ??? Only find marketing agencys for personnel, insurance companies and 2 retail outlets. Found a co-op type deal in Texas-Louisiana. Found a 4 Store Building Material Outlet in the Pacific Northwest. Got any more info on Lumbermens???

Guess I don't get it??? WHERE would someone put an ad on the web???

I have been checking Ebay for over 2 years. There are hardly ever any listings for Cypress. I listed Pecky boards and Solid Table slabs and NO bids, let alone reaching a reserve.

I have a listing on Woodweb. I have a listing on Agri-Seek. I have a listing on Wood-Planet. Stick-Trade has gone nuts with a membership of $295.00. I WAS a member of that for over a year. On-line Classifieds for wood are not plentiful, or, I'm too stoopid to locate them ???

Anyone need something built??? THAT I can do ??? ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ron Wenrich

You're pretty much in a specialty market.  Most mills can't handle that size of log.  So, that will limit the number of buyers.  Some of those logs sound to big for swingers.

Advertising the logs might be OK, but you're going to have to dig for another buyer.  Have you ever tried the Southern Cypress Mfg Assn?  I saw it listed on a search, thought maybe they should be people you should be talking to.  They should know who uses that type of log.

Might want to try your sawmill division over at your state forestry dept.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

sawhead

The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

Fla._Deadheader

2 excellent links. Thanks Guys. 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Hokiemill

Hey F_DH, how about some pictures of these monster logs!

iain

Tillaway

Export it to Japan, for something like that they may be interested.  Most of the export companies operate out of Longview, Washington.  Its been a while since I have had any doings with export logs so I sam trying to remember names.  Try searching for exporters around Washington and Oregon, there are some smaller outfits that would be interested. Also check around Coos Bay, Oregon.  There is a Port Orford Cedar buyer there and Menasha Corp as well they both export.  Rayonier does as well and they have operations in Oregon and Washington.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Fla._Deadheader

As usual, we haven't seen the logs, YET. The guy that HAS seen them, is out of town. I tried to contact him.

The logs are Heart Cypress. I do have pics from the Florida Archives showing logs that size, so, I KNOW they are out there. I will post pics as soon as I can find the log(s).

Till, I was thinking about the export thing. Thanks for bringing that up.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Japan would be convenient, Deadheader.  The logs are probably lost on the bottom somewhere in the Pacific anyway.   :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

Does that mean we might to salvage them more than once ???  ::) ::) ;D ;D

I heard about some gigantical Redwoods that are in the Pacific, that need to be salvaged. ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Yeah!  You'll probably find them in the same place.  The other logs were used to float the Red Wood and the whole Kit 'n Kaboodle sank.  Rumor has it that there is so much money to be made off of this deal that even politicians from North Carolina are vacating their jobs to search for the logs. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

In that case, maybe we should mount some torpedo tubes underneath the beams and go "help" those Politicians. ;) ;) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

ARKANSAWYER

Harold,
  There is a guy looking for spare logs  who will saw up your big sticks free if you can get them up to NY or Ohio!
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Fla._Deadheader

Arky, I saw that post. I been waitin for the DanGster to get back on here, and see if he would fly them logs up there. He's a chopper pilot, DonTcha know  ::) ;D ;D ;D

I hope he has that chopper running soon. I believe that's why he hasn't posted lately. ;D ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

etat

I was about half asleep last night with the TV on the history channel. Talking about logging and logging history.  Moving logs down river. The early days.  Told  about Mr. Weyerhauser who started out as a hand in a sawmill until it fell into hard times and then he borrowed money and bought out the sawmill and built his empire.  Bought giant tracks of land from the Railroads. Then the loggers worked their way West until they found the BIG trees.  The Douglas Fir, The Sequoia, and The Redwoods.  Man, them loggers was some HARD workers.  They had some vintage footage that was really interesting.  Somewhere I dozed off but they was talking about another guy who also built an empire.  They said he moved thousands of logs on the ocean, I believe, I'm pretty sure it wasn't down river because they was building giant RAFTS out of logs.   Everything's fuzzy cause as I said I was falling asleep.  I do remember the way he'd stack the logs, not end to end but by letting the ends overlap some and they'd tie it all to gether with giant length chains.  I 'think' I saw some vintage footage of this. They were talking about how long, and how heavy them chains was. About that time I feel asleep.  

Earlier while I was awake they showed logs going down rivers, the river rats, how dangerous it was, chopping in and working on spring boards, how they learned to top the 'big trees' before cutting them,  skid roads, and how that let to the shanties, and the prostitutes of 'skid row', the steam donkey, how they'd rig to get logs down mountains, lots of stuff like that.  Really interesting to a novice like myself.

Now, I do have a question.  Most all of this I had heard of before, except the giant log rafts on the ocean.  I'm pretty sure I think I was partially awake and they was really doing this, at least I THINK.  Anybody else ever seen or heard of this other than that guy what was making them crazy claims,  or was I dreaming.

One more thing, it's raining AGAIN, all day. Never seen or heard of nothing like all this rain for this time of the year.  This morning I made the statement to my wife, "Where in the World is all this RAIN coming from"  She looks at me, straight faced and says "From the SKY!"  

Didnt't help my feelings, or attitude none at all!!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Gilman

Cktate,
"On trips back down the coast, Hercules often towed huge log rafts, laden with millions of board feet of Northwest timber, to Southern California mills. At other times, Hercules towed barges of bulk cargoes between other West Coast Ports, and to Hawaii. "

This tug was in use during the early 1900's.

Here's the link:

http://www.nps.gov/safr/local/herc.html
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Gilman

Below is a quote from another website:

"These rafts contained upwards of 6,000,000 feet each and are towed to a sawmill at San Diego."

http://www.twrps.com/ccor/benson.html

6,000,000 bf, how long with that take me to saw up?  

Finally found a picture!

You've got to go to this site, they have photos of the construction process.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

iain

etat

Thanks a bunch Gilman, that's what I saw on TV last night, but wanted to make sure I wasn't dreaming. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Thank You Sponsors!