iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ug-lee log contest.

Started by hackberry jake, April 27, 2014, 10:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

No, that is my buddy Superdave. He weighs about half what I do. :-\

He is an old hippie from West Virginia who likes to cut up trees, but especially likes to cut them down. He is the best at that that I have seen. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Super Dave..... :D Thats pretty cool.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: hackberry jake on September 08, 2014, 03:44:47 PMThat log woulda been a good q-saw candidate.
Yup, I thought about that, but us portable guys just saws um and leaves um.  Bridge decking.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hunz

My entry, log was on a portable job

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom the Sawyer

My candidate was this honey locust which wouldn't fit on the mill until the tree guy split it, still was tight.  Branches had branches, too many to count.  Client was ecstatic that we got anything out of it (sentimental tree), mostly 6/4 planks, 18-21' wide.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

redbeard

Tom Did you have a tough time turning that short monster?
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Tom the Sawyer

Jeff,

Starting at 30"x6'5" and such an irregular surface, it wasn't easy to turn.  Client was a female wood artist, slight of frame.  One helper didn't show up and her husband had a work emergency which limited his availability.  I ended up milling and tailing.  I showed her how to bump the turner chain lever while I manned the cant hook.  Of course, each turn got easier.  I warned her that the planks would probably move but, at 6/4, she'll have some extra to work with.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

dboyt

Tom, good to see the post.  Sounds like everyone bailed on you when they saw what you were tackling.  What's next... petrified wood?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Brad_bb

The ugly logs make some of the prettiest wood.  Nice to see this thread as, I'm getting ready to start a search for some wonky wood for a big project.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

etroup10

I work at a shaving mill so we can get some pretty uglee "logs" in. But these are by far some of the worst I've seen while working there. And all of these came in on the same load! Not only were they uglee, they were all oversized, and some too long. 

I think this last one is my favorite, it even had a nice little green patch of grass growing in the middle  :D

NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

POSTON WIDEHEAD

mesquite buckeye

Could that be a highly valuable black walnut?  ??? ??? ??? ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

backwoods sawyer

That is one ugly out door table base you have there ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

mikeb1079

some of these logs wouldn't even make decent firewood
:D :o :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Dan R

Western Red Cedar. Big and knotty but made for lots of 1X6 fencing.
Dan

POSTON WIDEHEAD

knot Ug-lee....Nice log if it were around here.  :)

Dan R

Poston,
Gladly trade our abundant Red Cedar here for some of your Oaks ,Walnuts, ERC's.
Dan

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dan R on December 14, 2014, 01:51:27 PM
Poston,
Gladly trade our abundant Red Cedar here for some of your Oaks ,Walnuts, ERC's.
Dan

I'll see....if it fits, it ships.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!