iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood/tree ID

Started by craigktx, April 27, 2014, 02:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigktx

I am a wood carver and I live near corpus Christi tx. I carve any wood I find and this one has me stumped.   

Texas Ranger

soft fiberous wood, maybe mulberry
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

craigktx

Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking mulberry because of the color. It seam that our lack of rain and endless wind makes soft wood rather hard, the cottonwood, hackberry and mulberry isn't as fluffy/fiberous  as this stuff.  It was growing in a courtyard and may have had more moisture.  When it was cut it dripped a white sticky sap if that helps.

thecfarm

craigktx,welcome to the forum. Got any pictures of your wood caverings? Nice that you put a branch in the picture too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

craigktx

Here is a few pics. the wine rack was made from cottonwood (wave)  mulberry root(center), cottonwood (base) from TX.   the cattail was maple from upstate NY and the flower piece is chinaberry(bowl part) Flower is maple and the other parts are a mystery wood maybe popular. Those un-know pieces were picked up in VA.

WDH

I believe it to be paper mulberry.  Broussonetia papyrifera .  Imported from SE Asia to grow silk worms. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

craigktx

Thanks for the WOW and the ID of a paper mulberry. I always get what kind of wood is this and if I say UM, well it doesn't help with sales.

Dieskyver

Beautiful. I love wood.
Josh

WmFritz

Welcome to the Forestry Forum craigktx.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

craigktx

Thanks again and this is a great forum. I am always researching trees. I carved a pepper branch today. I think its pepper. It smells sweat with a bit of pepper. I am looking that one up as well.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

On second thought, white mulberry, Morus alba, was imported for the silk trade. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!