iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging jobs

Started by oger398, April 26, 2014, 07:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oger398

Hey guys new hear and have a small logging company and  I was wondering if you guys had any advice on getting timber lots?  As far as techniques on talking to land owners ..Any advice is very much appreciated  Thank you so much

clww

Biggest piece of advice I can give is be honest. Say what you mean and mean what you say.
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

tj240

honesty is the best, then you can talk to foresters and land management companies and get some bid sheets good luck.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Woodhauler

Quote from: smwwoody on April 26, 2014, 07:25:36 PM
plus one
+2 Be honest and don't sugar coat anything! Listen to the land owner, they are the boss!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Ed_K

Don't be afraid of no, 8 out of 12 no's is still a lot of work.Sunday rides out around the county looking and when you find a good lot, go to the county seat and look for the owner's info.
Ed K

BargeMonkey

Just remember you cant please everyone. Do the extras the landowner wants "pull a few tops or atv trails", and if you have a header roadside keep it neat, avoid making mud when you can. The wood is out there, just have your facts together when you approach a landowner, a few bad jobs and the word gets around quick.

oger398

Thanks for all the good advice

thecfarm

oger398,welcome to the forum. Are you just a skidder and chainsaw guy? What state are you from? Been logging long?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thenorthman

yep these folks nailed it,

honesty, good work, and finish what you started.

Other wise a craigslist add has done me wonders, the rest has been word of mouth.
well that didn't work

br389

Just keep knocking on doors and don't be afraid of no...you might knock on 30 doors before you it a home run

coxy

when I first started to take over I had a lot and I mean a lot of no s some of the time my dad would talk to the same person and get a yes  dident that burn my    just don't give up keep at it   once you make a good name for your self you got it made      good luck with your company

Thank You Sponsors!