iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crawfish

Started by Magicman, April 26, 2014, 04:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Folks in other places might call them crayfish, or maybe even bait, but cooked just right, we call them good.

Several coolers of crawfish ready for enjoying.

Garlic, sausage, mushrooms, corn, & potatoes.

Daughter Deb and Pat ready to dig in.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

I can see why you were stuffed. food2
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WmFritz

Pretty girls and good eats... doesn't get any better!  digin_2
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

tule peak timber

wow, where did you get so many crawdads ? Looks like a great time. How does that go -twist, pinch,  and enjoy ?  8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WmFritz

I see that your not in the photo's  ???
Would I be correct in assuming that you was tooling around in one of your new rides move_it
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

Peter Drouin

What part do you eat? :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Crawfish tails are much smaller compared to the body than shrimp so it takes many more to get the belly full.  The cooks were professionals so they were boiled and seasoned just right. 

This is an annual event that Pat and I missed last year because of our 50th anniversary Hawaii trip.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Spoken almost like a true politician  ;D  so, what parts do you eat?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

gunman63

I want to know which is the daughter and which is the wife, they both look so young !

WDH

You eat all the parts that taste good. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Generally, you eat the parts that don't crunch.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ken

I can't say I've ever had crawfish but I'm sure they are tasty.  They do however look like a fair bit of work to get a belly full. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

coxy

do they taste like chicken  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D or lobster  ;D

Alcranb

They look like baby lobsters. I think I'd rather wait till they grow up  ;)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Magicman

Quote from: coxy on April 27, 2014, 08:16:28 AM
do they taste like chicken  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D or lobster  ;D
Actually, neither, nor do they taste like shrimp.  Of course they are also seasoned differently.  Crawfish boil seasoning tends to be spicy (hot).  The meat is more chewy than shrimp or lobster and also more tasty.

Most of our crawfish come from Crawfish Farms in the marsh areas in South Louisiana.  We will have a very large harvest here in the open fields after the Mississippi River floods.  It will be a bounty and folks will fill ice chests and also fill their entire pickup beds.

Peter Drouin

So when the water goes down the fields are full of them. And to fill a truck is a lot.Do you use a rake, or pick one at a time with your hand? :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Yup, I guess millions.  They will cover the roads in low lying areas and the slick run-over crawfish will actually become a driving hazard.   :-\

Folks pick them up with seed forks, etc.

red oaks lumber

you guys also like grits ;) so your idea of food is way differant than mine :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Texas Ranger

Yep, we like a liitle heat in our food, other than boiling it into submission
digin_2 digin_2 digin_2 smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast sketti_1 sketti_1 musteat_1 musteat_1 pepsi_smiley pepsi_smiley

sandhills

Good grief that looks good!  Probably don't boil them too long?  And do you just add the seasoning to the water?

Magicman

Garlic, onion, lemons, and store bought mixtures of "crab" boil seasoning plus Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning.  When they float, cut the fire and let them soak for a while.

I would be very hesitant to dismiss this delicacy if you have never tried it.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have to admit.....I've never eaten a Crawfish.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I'm not much into spicy food. Even when it did not tear up stomach apart. If I could get some without the hot,I would have a go at it. It's not Green!!! ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

If you like lobster and shrimp, you will like crawfish.  They are just spicier the way that they are prepared. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ely

I generally can eat 6 or 7 pounds of them before I slow up any at all, I can coast on thru another 4 or five pounds after that. if I eat the corn sausage and potatoes I can get by on just 4-5 pounds of crawdads. if you can boil it in that pot I will try and eat it... I liked to have choked on a dishrag one time.

BradMarks

Zataran's crawfish boil and Dixie trays.  And 20 lbs of craw(fish or dad). Let's eat!

luvmexfood

Tried them. Peeled the tail and then sucked the guts. No thanks. They were not very good coming back up.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: luvmexfood on April 28, 2014, 04:43:55 PM
Tried them. Peeled the tail and then sucked the guts. No thanks. They were not very good coming back up.

:D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

I am a tail only guy.  I see folks eating stuff that folks ain't 'sposed to eat. 

luvmexfood

Quote from: Magicman on April 28, 2014, 06:58:11 PM
I am a tail only guy.  I see folks eating stuff that folks ain't 'sposed to eat.

I sometimes watch "Bizare Foods with Andrew Zimmerman" on the travel channel. He has eaten somethings I don't think my dog would eat and I definetly wouldn't use them for fish bait because I don't think a nasty ole carp would even try them.

coxy

love that guy if it looks good eat it and if it don't eat it anyway :D :D :D :D :D

sawguy21

I would be willing to try them as long as the spice doesn't provoke a 3 alarm response. ;D Hot is good but I still want to taste the flesh.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WmFritz

Quote from: WDH on April 28, 2014, 07:13:36 AM
If you like lobster and shrimp, you will like crawfish.  They are just spicier the way that they are prepared.

I loves both... so I guess I'd love crayfish.

The bigger question is where you find  sweetcorn  this time of year  ???
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

luvmexfood

My problem might have been that we were doing firefighting training that day and it was probably 95 and we were in full bunker gear most of the day and our even our underware was wet from sweat. We went back to the motel and showered before the crawfish boil. On the way in Baton Rouge back then they had what was called the Daquri Shack of something similiar. You could go in and they had wall to wall machines making frozen drinks that you could buy and just get in car and drive off.

We had one that was called an Attitude Adjustment that had both rum and 151 rum in it. Remember we were dehydrated from the days training. Plus we were not used to the climate.

We drank them and went to the crawfish boil and started eating. Then some guys from the Port Authority of XX/XX brought out the "confiscated booze". Eating crawfish, sucking the guts and chasing with 151 rum sort of didn't sit well with several of us. Man it was a long night and a long flight home the next day. Took me about a week to recover.

beenthere

:D :D

Yeppers....   blame the crawfish .. ;D ;D 

And one reason I can't stand to eat barbecued potato chips. steve_smiley    Couldn't have been the bottle of muscatel wine.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPIKER

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 27, 2014, 09:46:14 PM
I have to admit.....I've never eaten a Crawfish.  :)

Me neither, growing up as a kid we caught them in the park creek, (very clear very cool water) & hard shale bottom.   Picking up the big shale flat rocks would yield half dozen BIG craw fish (crayfish, mudbugs, what ya call ems.)   I can remember catching them in half pound range at times.   I always wondered if they would be good eating (just young kids at time way before Al-Gore invented the internet) I my sister would every now & then splurge for lobster...   as 8 year old I thought MAN THAT'S A BIG CRAWDAD!  8) :D :D :D   but sure did enjoy eating the lobsters.   Never got up enough nerve to try and eat the crawdads usually we let them go or made them fight one another.

Quote from: Magicman on April 28, 2014, 06:58:11 PM
I am a tail only guy.  ...
Might not wanna say that too loud, momma might reach for the frying pan!  dadgum you, Charlie! oz_smiley  ;)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Mooseherder

Quote from: WmFritz on April 28, 2014, 11:17:58 PM
Quote from: WDH on April 28, 2014, 07:13:36 AM

The bigger question is where you find  sweetcorn  this time of year  ???

Okeechobee Florida is harvesting Sweet Corn right now.  My neighbor dropped off a few Ears.  They were fantastic. :)
Gotta get some more.

WDH

Glenn,

Where does the sweet corn that I am seeing in the grocery store now come from? 

luvmexfood

Nothing better than fresh sweetcorn. And when I say fresh I mean 30 minutes or less from the garden to the table. That is one vegetable the fresher the better.

Mooseherder

Quote from: WDH on April 30, 2014, 08:30:44 PM
Glenn,
Where does the sweet corn that I am seeing in the grocery store now come from?

Either Homestead, Boynton or Belle Glade/Okeechobee.
There are a lot of growers in these areas.

WmFritz

Quote from: Mooseherder on April 30, 2014, 06:09:07 PM
Okeechobee Florida is harvesting Sweet Corn right now.  My neighbor dropped off a few Ears.  They were fantastic. :)
Gotta get some more.

We don't have sweet corn in Mid-Michigan until August. The farmers in my area haven't even gotten in the fields yet.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

Mooseherder

My SIL travels to Okeechobee everyday.
I told him to get me a dozen or so ears while we're in the season. :)

Texas Ranger

Getting some very good sweet corn here in Texas for  first time this year

Thank You Sponsors!