iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log on mill over night?

Started by scleigh, April 25, 2014, 10:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

Has anyone had to leave a log on their mill over night?

I broke the winch cable loading a big oak log this evening. I did eventually get the log on the mill with the tractor. I made a few cuts but couldn't turn the log safely without the cable hooked to the turner( LT 28).

I can fix cable in the morning but, was wondering if such a heavy log(26" oak") will hurt the mill sitting there so long?

hackberry jake

I have left big logs on my mill for months. No worries
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

5quarter

I have a half sawn maple on the saw right now. doesn't hurt the mill any, but the sawn surfaces will dry out. you'll need to take a skim cut on the sawn faces to get back to wet wood. otherwise your first boards will bow. The maple on my mill is squared up and about 4 boards cut. I leave the boards on the cant and put the slab back on top to keep the air off it till I'm ready to sticker tomorrow.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Hilltop366

Got you beat Jake, a year and a half on mine!

Sold the mill but still have the log.

Okrafarmer

I always figure leaving a heavy log on the rails or on the hydraulic log loader makes for a pretty good anti-theft device. I do it quite a bit. Doesn't mean it's good for it, only that I do it, and I only have hundreds of problems with my mill. Wait, that didn't sound like encouragement. . . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Brucer

There's nothing wrong with leaving a log on the mill. Just be sure that there's no steel in contact with the wood when you leave it, or you'll get a nice black stain. The bed rails on a WM have stainless sleeves so they aren't a problem. If your side stops don't have stainless sleeves (it was an option back in '06) and you leave a sawn face against them you'll get a couple of black streaks across the face of the cant. Same goes for the clamp and quite often the toeboards or toeboard rollers.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

hackberry jake

Quote from: Brucer on April 26, 2014, 12:36:05 AM
There's nothing wrong with leaving a log on the mill. Just be sure that there's no steel in contact with the wood when you leave it, or you'll get a nice black stain. The bed rails on a WM have stainless sleeves so they aren't a problem. If your side stops don't have stainless sleeves (it was an option back in '06) and you leave a sawn face against them you'll get a couple of black streaks across the face of the cant. Same goes for the clamp and quite often the toeboards or toeboard rollers.
I thought it was just woods that release tannic acid that did that. Like oak.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

highleadtimber16

Cedar, Fir, Alder, Maple, any wood  "as far as I know" will get the black/purple stain if it touches metal long enough. I sharpened my chainsaw on top of a cedar 2x12 yesterday, then it rained. There's now a nice big black spot from the filings  :(
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

bandmiller2

Probibly no harm if all the leveling jacks are adjusted properly, but it certainly does the mill no good, I never leave a log on the mill when not in use.  Same as I don't like to leave a heavy load on a truck. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

scleigh

Thanks for the replies.

I was only able to make an opening face cut and 2 flitches, so there's no wood touching metal.

I don't like the idea of something heavy resting on equipment for long periods either, but I have left a heavy load of logs on my dump truck overnight and now a log on the mill. I think it will be ok, just don't plan to make a habit of it.

Hardware opens at 8, so i'll pick up a few items and get back at it.

Magicman

I have left many logs, whole and in various stages of being sawn on the sawmill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Same here, I try to finish sawing a log, but there has been times where I have left the log on the mill over night, I
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Many sawyers will routinely leave a large log on the mill when they are away from it over night or even longer, left on the mill as a theft deterent!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

Quote from: Chuck White on April 26, 2014, 08:59:14 AM
Many sawyers will routinely leave a large log on the mill when they are away from it over night or even longer, left on the mill as a theft deterent!

Yep.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

Is this log big enough to deter theft? If not, there are no wheels and it's bolted to a 72.8 ton slab. :D

Quote from: hackberry jake on April 25, 2014, 11:16:00 PM
I have left big logs on my mill for months. No worries

ADHD sucks. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

Hopefully I don't have a theft issue!  but this happened this evening,  I heard the dinner bell ring ;D

plus it was time for a blade change,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I do always let the loader arms down to the ground.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scleigh

After seeing and hearing what you guys have left on the mill, I feel a little better about having left the log on the mill.

My son is 2 years old and he is a firm believer that a john deer tractor and a hammer can fix anything. After a trip to the hardware, we repaired the cable and winch and were ready to saw again. He walked around the mill hitting everything with his plastic hammer and then looked at me and said " daddy I fix your sawmill". Good times!

Thanks for the replies, always good to come hear and learn  from you guys.

drobertson

Nice loader you have there 8)  big ole log too!

tmarch

Quote from: scleigh on April 27, 2014, 08:46:34 AM
After seeing and hearing what you guys have left on the mill, I feel a little better about having left the log on the mill.

My son is 2 years old and he is a firm believer that a john deer tractor and a hammer can fix anything. After a trip to the hardware, we repaired the cable and winch and were ready to saw again. He walked around the mill hitting everything with his plastic hammer and then looked at me and said " daddy I fix your sawmill". Good times!

Thanks for the replies, always good to come hear and learn  from you guys.
Save that post, sometime you'll want to show it to the young sawyer.
Congratulations on the helper!!!!!!!!!!
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

goose63

It is nice to have a helper with his own tools and loader 8) 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 26, 2014, 05:11:57 PM
Is this log big enough to deter theft? If not, there are no wheels and it's bolted to a 72.8 ton slab. :D

Showoff.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!