iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to buy a gun safe

Started by steamsawyer, April 25, 2014, 03:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamsawyer

I am about to buy a gun safe. I don't have much to spend and I was wondering if anyone here has the Winchester brand safe that Tractor Supply sells. If so, are you happy with it?

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Texas Ranger

I have one of them, not the smallest, not the biggest, think it holds 10 -12 guns.  Light weight, no fire protection, but when you screw them to the floor and/or wall, they wont go anywhere.  It will slow the bad guys down long enough for the boys in blue to get there.

I guess if somebody came in really prepared it could be opened in a short period of time.  Best bet is to put it where no one but family knows where it is, specially teenagers, they have a bad habit of talking to friends.  Experience.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

steamsawyer

Thanks Texas,

The one I'm looking at is the 24 gun size. It looks pretty solid for the money. I'm a little skeptical about the electronic lock though.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Texas Ranger

Never liked the electronic lock, got the one with the old fashioned dial.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

gspren

If it is going to be in a garage you can gut and remodel an old refrigerator and put on a big padlock, then put a sticker on the door saying "CAUTION GARDEN CHEMICALS" that will keep some crooks out.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Farmerjw

Steam, my youngest daughter and her husband bought a gun safe from TSC last fall, on sale around $999.00.  Very nice safe for the money.  They are quite pleased with it, have it in their unfinished basement (they are slowly working on the basement).  Seems to be well built and a good safe for the money.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Bibbyman

If you're going to put it in any place humid,  like a basement or garage,  seriously consider getting a model that a dehumidifier gadget can be placed inside.   

Second consideration is to also buy a smaller vault to store other valuables like papers,  coins, etc became you'll soon find your gun cabinet filled with that junk.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

goose63

Quote from: gspren on April 26, 2014, 04:47:21 PM
  If it is going to be in a garage you can gut and remodel an old refrigerator and put on a big padlock, then put a sticker on the door saying "CAUTION GARDEN CHEMICALS" that will keep some crooks out.
The meth heads will want all the chemicals to get high on
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jason_AliceMae Farms

I have the mid-sized safe from TSC and so far no issues with the electric lock although I prefer a dial as well but money was the driving factor on this safe.  If your are looking to get into the safe quickly then I would go with the electronic lock.

Look at what you plan on storing, I have a few long rifles with scopes so the number of rifles I can store without paling tight and possibly causing damage is cut in half. 

I am now in the process of saving up for a Liberty safe in a few years....Huge safe, made in America, lights, dehumidifier, flat corner locking bolts, etc.  But $$ so it will be a few years which will give me time to get a home ready.

Like a shed - build bigger than you need now as long as you can afford it.  Items other than guns take up a lot of room in the safe.
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Bibbyman

I've been in a house of a guy that had a lot more money then I.  He had a vault room built into a corner of his basement.   Maybe 8x12.  He had about full.   Years ago my brother-in-law came across a pair of vault doors from an old jewelry store.   They were about 2' wide each and 6' tall.  They came with a frame.  He never got his vault built but they sold well at his estate auction.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

gimpy

I bought a gun safe from Home depot at Christmas time (a x-mas discount) one year for about $500. I think it is a 24 gun safe. It takes 2 big guys with a really heavy duty dolly to move. Liked it so well, I bought another of the same the next X-mas. I have found more than enough valuables and personal records to fill both.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Thank You Sponsors!