Sponsors:

Tree Physics

Started by Ron Scott, April 25, 2014, 11:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

~Ron

mesquite buckeye

That was cool! Huh huh. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WmFritz

It took me three views to figure that one out.  :D

With some good watering, maybe it'll leaf back out.  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Ianab

On a practical side, THAT is why you keep everyone away from the root ball when you are sawing a fallen tree like that. :o

I don't think anyone would have expected it to stand up again with so much log left attached, but it did.

Even after you stop cutting, the stump can flop over hours later.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

James Arsenault

I recall some years back a 5 year old boy who was killed by a re-righting root ball. The boy's grandfather was cutting up a big wind fall white pine and when the root ball flopped back over, the boy was under the root ball. If I remember correctly,  it wasn't until someone noticed the boy was missing and a search started that they thought to look under the stump. Too late.

CCC4

His ear muffs blocked the call of "Natural Selection"....why on Earth he did not buck the rootball off first... I was having visions of that stob catching his sweat shirt and sending him over the fence to meet his neighbors properly.

JohnM

Quote from: James Arsenault on April 25, 2014, 05:05:11 PM
I recall some years back a 5 year old boy who was killed by a re-righting root ball. The boy's grandfather was cutting up a big wind fall white pine and when the root ball flopped back over, the boy was under the root ball. If I remember correctly,  it wasn't until someone noticed the boy was missing and a search started that they thought to look under the stump. Too late.
I was going to mention that story too, James.  Felt so bad for that family and can not imagine how awful the grandfather felt/feels.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

SwampDonkey

I had a 20" fir flop back in the hole after the stump cut was made. It was a nice tree to, but was rooted on top of a shallow spot on shale. The wind knocked it down. A balsam fir won't normal uproot, they snap off first because they are normally strongly rooted. This thing had a lot of green crown. Let the neighbor take it for lumber.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I'll never forget my surprise the first time that I had that happen to me.  :o  Actually, maybe the only time.  You buck the butt log off of the stump and let it go.  It's still dangerous, and important that everyone understands what is about to happen.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jwilly3879

Back in 1993 we had some very strange straight line winds that hit randomly and I had the misfortune of working with a fellow who was cleaning up several parcels. The first wasn't too bad, about 10 acres that we cut 150mbf that was all laying down, nothing over 16" EWP and that job went well. Then we moved to another lot were the trees were all 24" and bigger and some of the butts were over 10' in the air, still attached to the root ball. It was impossible to tell which way the root ball was going when we cut the log off. We wound up notching the log from both sides, leaving the hinge vertical and breaking it off with the skidder. Some fell over toward the log and others flopped right back in the hole. It had a big pucker factor.

thecfarm

There still might be 2 white pine stubs,cut off with a chainsaw,about 20 feet in the air down by the pond.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NS logging

Did you guys notice how dull his saw was?  I'm not sure he should be using a chainsaw at all

chester_tree _farmah

Yeah. Some of these videos are scary. I had to deal with the same scenario after last summer. Lost some nice pine due to blow downs. A few good size ones where hung up in other trees. There is a scary video on the urban forum too. Guy cutting big hung hardwoods with a dull chain promoting a technique. Think he is a so called pro. He scared me.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Magicman on April 25, 2014, 08:25:59 PM
It's still dangerous, and important that everyone understands what is about to happen.
that is the key, knowing what to expect or what could happen.

redprospector

Why is it that some people think that moving a chainsaw back and forth will compensate for a dull chain.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

thenorthman

Quote from: redprospector on April 26, 2014, 12:21:21 AM
Why is it that some people think that moving a chainsaw back and forth will compensate for a dull chain.  :D

As soon as I see that I tend to step back a bit and evaluate the situation...

As far as cutting root wads... them folks taint smart enough to be scared.   Personally I hate cutting blow down, its a necessary evil, I just wish someone else would do it.
well that didn't work

SwampDonkey

There was a leaning popple over a road where I was thinning. It was about 8" diameter at the butt . I figured I'd just cut it off with the brush saw. ;D It was low enough that I could cut from the top side of the stem. Cut it off, but she sprung and I landed on my ash. Not a nice feeling to know you've just been catapulted and knowing you have to land to. Luckily it only picked me about 6" of the ground. When your strapped in with a harnass, your going for the ride, can't let go. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

timberlinetree

I cut up the same tree 3 times!
1 willow up rooted and stood up just like the video after cutting the top off.
2 same willow suckered out at the top and uprooted half way. Cut off suckers(about 25 feet) and she stood up.
3 was on the ground for good.

Once was out on storm duty and a snow covered red maple was across the road. Started to undercut it, some snow fell off and up she went with my saw still running 30 feet up. Everyone though it was funny. :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

chester_tree _farmah

That is pretty funny. A pic of that would be priceless! U must have been dumbfounded. How did u get it out?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

timberlinetree

Had to go down a steep bank and cut it slowly, that wasn't fun. Saw survived!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!