iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl chainsaw flywheel keyway

Started by markkelly, April 25, 2014, 08:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markkelly

Has anyone ever had the molded keyway break off and file agrove into the flywheel and plsce a steel keyway in plsce.

Thanks,
Mark
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

Jiles

Quote from: markkelly on April 25, 2014, 08:23:49 AM
Has anyone ever had the molded keyway break off and file agrove into the flywheel and plsce a steel keyway in plsce.

Thanks,
Mark
I have never did that, but if it were me, I would just replace the flywheel without the key.
Crankshaft and flywheel taper is what secures the flywheel in place. The keyway is for alignment.
You must insure that the tapers are in perfect shape and clean.
I would mark the key location on the outside flat surface near the outside edge of the retaining nut.
With this method of attachment, you must insure that the crank does not move while tightening the nut.
Satisfy needs before desires

ladylake

Stihl should be ashamed putting something made that cheap on a saw..   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sharkey

Mark,
The keyway is only there for alignment purposes.  The taper of the joint between flywheel and crank is what holds the assembly together.  Make sure the flywheel and crank are clean where they mate - no oil.   

joe_indi

Quote from: sharkey on April 27, 2014, 12:53:49 AM
Mark,
The keyway is only there for alignment purposes.  The taper of the joint between flywheel and crank is what holds the assembly together.  Make sure the flywheel and crank are clean where they mate - no oil.   
Mark, this is correct. So if you want to save some money, mark the position of the molded key on the flywheel, align it with the groove on the crankshaft and press it into position and tighten it down.  If you want to be doubly sure, clean the shaft and apply a light film of adhesive on it before sliding the flywheel into position. I have done this on numerous saws and brushcutter flywheels and I am yet to see one that has moved out of position.

Thank You Sponsors!