iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to forum and milling

Started by Philbo, April 23, 2014, 10:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philbo

I've been reading on this site for a couple months now and finally took the time to join.  What a great group of folks and knowledge shared! 

I'm working with a small company that does a healthy amount of horse logging with Suffolks, custom saw milling, firewood production, sometimes carpentry/construction (involved with wood we sawed) and sometimes farming/working the horses. Really learning a lot and just been at it part-time since beginning of the year, but getting into it several times a week here recently and thought I'd join to see what I can learn from all you good folk.

We have a manual push mill (built locally) w/ 13hp Honda motor, ~20 ft deck.  Been using Cooks blades recently, which I find to be great.  Seems better on the 1st re-sharpen, actually.

We are small, low production, niche market kinda operation compared to some of y'all on here, but we're a 2 or 3 person team and not always logging everyday.  It's a good, long day to get 1000+ bd ft/day of sawing in unless they are some pretty long logs with big dimension lumber/timbers.

So far, I've sawed a good bit of white pine (mostly for outside buildings, barns, decks, etc.) Hickory, beech, oak (flooring), locust, tulip poplar has been mixed in, but I'm still a bit green on some of the techniques and ways to maximize efficiency and economy of movement.  We load the mill with a 60hp tractor w/ pallet forks.

Here's some white pine pics from last month or so to give you an idea.  The landing pic was from an afternoon of felling and skidding with 3 of us working, well really 2 and me getting some hands on training. 

Really looking forward to joining in here and learning all I can!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Philbo.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry forum, Philbo. Great pictures.
You'll find that you can learn anything you want from these folks here.

Allan

hardtailjohn

Welcome to the forum!  Let's see more pics of those Suffolks! 
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

pine

Welcome to the forum.  Try to post more pictures of your horse logging operations

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the pics.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Seaman

Welcome Philbo! I am in McDowell co.  you anywhere close?
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

dgdrls

Welcome Philbo,  great photos,  thanks for posting them.

Best
DGDrls

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Philbo!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Philbo,welcome to the forum. Pictures look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dukndog

Welcome to the FF Philbo!! ....and we love pictures!!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

slider

al glenn

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Hale87

2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

WellandportRob

Welcome Philbo. It appears as though we have the same mill.  Look forward to chatting with you.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

MAI

Hi Philbo,   Welcome to the FF.  Nice pics!

JohnM

Welcome to the forum, Philbo.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

SawyerBrown

Greetings, Philbo, and welcome welcome welcome to the Forestry Forum!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Ocklawahaboy

Nice to see horse logging still happening.  Welcome to the forum.  Great looking timber there.

kczbest

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Philbo!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

mad murdock

Welcome philbo, nice pics there!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Philbo

Just getting back to this thread...thanks everyone for the warm welcome.  I'll try and post some more pics of what I've been doing the past couple days.   Got an order for locust 6x6 timbers and up the hillside we go.  Loading at the landing and firing up the sawmill tomorrow so I may get some pics of that.

It's a challenge in these woods to find locust that is solid, straight, and big enough to make it worth your while for 6x6 + size timbers, but it's been fun.

There are many times working that I wish I had my phone more accessible/in my pocket, but it's either down in the truck or underneath my chaps and too much to dig it out quickly.  I do manage to snap some shots in the woods from time to time.  Hope y'all enjoy

Seaman:  We are in Ashe/Watauga co mostly.

WellandportRob:  You have the exact same mill?  These were made very locally and I didn't think they made too many of them before the business folded, but maybe they made more than I thought?  Very cool.  Great, solid machine from my experience, just forces you to go at a steady pace and not rush it too much, bc it's all manual. 

buzywoodliff

Welcome and keep the pictures coming!!

Philbo

Some pics from today in case anyone is interested.   Still figuring out the efficient way to load the sloped landing for easy loading with tractor forks.  Just going a couple miles down the road with the logs today. 

Pretty hot out today, but got some good experience on the mill sawing some fresh locust.  I pulled some decent decking boards out of some of the logs on the way to 6x6's.  I should have edged some of the boards while I was cutting my way to the cants, but didn't have the extra time and thought about it sorta late in the day after they started piling up.

thecfarm

Those flitches can be slow to cut. Usally the way I try to do it,is after each log. That way they are kinda the same size and I can remember what needs to be done to get the most lumber from them. But I only saw for myself too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!