iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Explain Myself

Started by VTwoodworker, April 23, 2014, 03:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTwoodworker

Hi everyone,

I have been hanging in the shadows here for a few months and plan on sticking around so I think an introduction is in order.  My name is Wayne and I live in Central Vermont.  My day job is being an engineer and project manager for highway bridge projects.  I grew up and have always lived in Vermont. 

Until I was 18, my family owned a subsistence sawmill and logging business that I worked growing up.  I spent my school vactions and many hours after school tailing the board saw and pulling cable behind the JD 440B.  I was an adult before I realized that it is not "normal" to be able to identify all of the timber native to Vermont by seeing either the leaves, bark or woodgrain or by just the smell as it is being cut.

I still enjoy making sawdust and smaller pieces out of big pieces of wood.  I own 25 acres of land with mostly spruce and fir timber that I have been slowly harvesting.  The timber is old and just keeping up with the dying and blow down trees keeps me busy in my spare time.  I bought an old LT30 three years ago and I have been making boards and dimensional lumber out of the trees that I harvest. 

I have owned a eclassic 2300 OWB for five years so anything that is too rotten or small for the mill goes through the boiler to heat my house and gagrage.  I have a Kubota 3130 with a Farmi winch and pallet forks.  It does a really good job pulling the trees that I have and supporting the mill.

I have a woodworking shop of mostly "old iron" american made machinery.  I enjoy picking up old pieces of equipment and restoring them for use in my shop. 

Most important thing is that I have a wife and two teenage daughters that understand my need to make sawdust and smaller pieces of wood.  I do get the eye rolls at times though and that is when I will stop by here and hang out with others that understand me.

Anyway that is enough about me.  I enjoy reading the posts and the energy that you all put into helping folks with information.  I hope to be able to contibute occaisionally to that body of information.

Good to be hanging out with all of you.

Wayne Symonds

WellandportRob

Hi Wayne, welcome to the forum and thanks for the introduction.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

thecfarm

VTwoodworker,Well, I can see POSTON has not read where you are from.  :D
We will not roll our eyes when you are talking about wood or anything that is used for wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

Welcome to the Forum, Wayne !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

21incher

Welcome to the Forestry Forum VTwoodworker.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

Welcome here. I would love to see pics of your shop and equipment. Lots of wood knowledge here. Cheers  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

Hello Wayne.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum and thanks for the introduction.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

Greetings, sounds like your living the dream.

celliott

Welcome! Yet another Vermonter on the forum. Seems like we've had a fair number join recently. The more the merrier  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Nomad

Hi Wayne, and welcome!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

JohnM

Welcome to the forum, Wayne. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the Forum Wayne.  I found your introduction to be an interesting read.  Thanks for taking the time to post it.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WmFritz

Glad to meet you, Wayne.
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

GAB

VTwoodworker:
If you want to attend the Northeast Forest Products Equipment Show on 5/9 & 10 at the Champlain Valley Exposition in Essex Jct., VT at a reasonable entrance fee go to www.northernlogger.com by 4/25 and register.
If you don't forget I mentioned it.  If you do go bring a bib as there will be lots of machinery to drool on or about.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sealark37

Welcome aboard.  Most of us are addicted to sawdust and suffer from old iron fever.  We can use you.  Regards, Clark

YellowHammer

Welcome aboard.  Good folks here.  Glad to have you join in.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Sawdust Lover

Welcome VT woodworker, I too am 45 and grew up in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. I was never able to work at a sawmill growing up but did my time in the woods logging with horses. It was a great place to grow up and where I learned my woodworking skills. Look forward to seeing your posts on the forum.

Texas Ranger

Welcome, Vt, pull up a stump and set a spell.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

kczbest

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

crowhill

Way to go for intro Wayne! I too have set on the stump reading the forum for some time without an intro of myself.
My name is Russel, retired from the Dept of VT Economic Services Jan 1st this year. Have a Kubota M4900 w/Farmi, loader w/toothbar, thumb and forks, Timberking B-20, 22 acre & 54 acre wood lots which I've been "playing on" for close to 40 years. A wife that has let me "play" for 44 years!! Two married sons, one in CA with his wife & two daughters, the older son living with wife and two sons 5 miles away. My oldest grandson, 5 yrs old was working the mill with me yesterday.
Grew up here on the mountain dairy farm in Chester VT with 3 brothers n loads of cousins on their family farms next door. Working in the woods was just part of farming back then.
Spent many hours this past month reading many posts about keeping bands on the wheels. Found, from the forum posts, that I had a bad bearing in the idler wheel and the wheels needed to be ground. Thank you forum members!!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Engineer

Hi Wayne!  Good to see another Vermonter on here.  If you ever get down in the SW corner look me up.  Don't have a sawmill anymore but I will soon enough, saving up the pennies for a new Woodmizer.  I'm just about to change careers too, going from private sector to public sector, working for the State down in Bennington.  I know quite a few of your colleagues in VTrans.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum!

Engineer, what model are you looking at?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Engineer

I'm not sure what model, Dave.  Not sure whether I just want to saw for myself or make it a part-time business.  If a business, I'll be looking into an LT40 hydraulic, not the super.  If only for myself, probably the LT15.  Maybe the wide.  Not sure if I want to deal with manual log handling again although the LT15 is a lot lower to the ground than the old LT30 I had.

Thank You Sponsors!