iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Tree Grew in Brooklyn...

Started by Tom the Sawyer, April 23, 2014, 01:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom the Sawyer

I received a call from a gentleman who lives in Brooklyn, NY, and who found my website with an internet search (yeah!).  He has a black cherry tree, estimated at 24" diameter, that was recently taken down and has a great deal of sentimental value for his family. 

He knew that I was too far away (1200 miles) but he said that he hadn't been able to locate anyone who would mill the log for him.  I searched the Find-a database for someone who worked in that area and furnished him with a member name and phone number.  Received another call today that the number I gave him had been disconnected.   smiley_annoyed01

If there is a member that might be interested in milling this cherry for him, please let me know and I'll forward your information to him.   smiley_thumbsup

Thanks, 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

JohnM

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on April 23, 2014, 01:56:45 PM
I received a call from a gentleman who lives in Brooklyn, NY, and who found my website with an internet search (yeah!).
I noticed this a few weeks ago Tom and just checked again.  I typed 'portable sawmilling maine' (maine! :o :D) into google and your site was on the bottom of page 3. :D  My (very simple and unfinished) site doesn't show up at all. :-\  (which is fine for now ;))

Closest member I can think of is Dennis aka Terrific Timbers in CT.  I could load up the Lucas and visit my brother and family on Long Island at the same time. ;) ;D ::)

Did you tell him coat the ends of the log?  Hope he finds someone soon since the tree seems to mean a lot to him.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Full Circle

Hello Tom.

I'm about 70 miles (by truck route) north of Brooklyn, in Dutchess County, NY.  It's funny you posted this because just today I ordered a new rim and tire for the LT40 that (although I didn't know it at the time) I am pretty sure I damaged on my last trip to Brooklyn when I hit a pot hole.  Last Fall.  Anyway, I would be happy to talk with the gentleman.  Thank you for the opportunity!   
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

Leigh Family Farm

Try reaching out to JSwigga. His business is located in Jersey and he might be will to make the trip to Brooklyn.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

4x4American

Quote from: Full Circle on April 23, 2014, 08:39:27 PM
Hello Tom.

I'm about 70 miles (by truck route) north of Brooklyn, in Dutchess County, NY.  It's funny you posted this because just today I ordered a new rim and tire for the LT40 that (although I didn't know it at the time) I am pretty sure I damaged on my last trip to Brooklyn when I hit a pot hole.  Last Fall.  Anyway, I would be happy to talk with the gentleman.  Thank you for the opportunity!   

Whereabouts are ya in Dutchess?
Boy, back in my day..

logboy

Quick edit: I was going to say this guy since he was on the news in NYC:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,68455.0/nowap.html

But apparently hes out of VA Beach.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

redbeard

Nice too see sawmillers networking together to full fill the needs of a customer. Proud to be a forestry forum member.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Isaac S

He's not a member here, but I have an acquaintance that has a mill in Brooklyn. He may be able to help out. His name is Roger, and his company name is Re-Co Bklyn.

Tom the Sawyer

Isaac S,

This topic had been dormant for almost a year.  I called the guy this morning and found that he still has the log in his back yard.  Apparently, none of the numbers I gave him worked out and he hadn't thought about it since last fall.  I gave him the contact information for RE-CO BKLYN.  He appreciated the follow-up, he had pretty much given up on getting it milled.   smiley_crying

On a related topic, I have found that my Facebook business page, and my website, generate contacts from well outside my service area.  Many of these people know I can't help them personally but are desperate to find someone in their area.  It might seem more 'efficient' to tell them, "sorry, can't help you" but I feel it is worthwhile to try.  As a side benefit, you meet some nice people.  Years ago I got a call from a woman who was trying to find someone near Jacksonville, Fl. to mill some cypress.  Through FF, I'd heard of a guy, also named Tom, who lived there and sent him a PM.  She ended up being an unproductive lead but my phone conversations with Tom were a treasure in themselves.   smiley_thumbsup     

First of all, through my contacts such as FF and other internet sites I patronize, I may have resources they haven't thought of.  I subscribe to the old saying, "a rising tide lifts all ships."  I suspect that most of us portable sawyers could use more clients.  If a sawyer anywhere in the country helps salvage a lost log (storm, urban renewal, disease, etc.), we'll all benefit in the long run.

Many mobile milling appointments have community impact.  Yesterday was a prime example.  I was milling on a busy, well-known street in mid-town Kansas City.  A 30' mill working on a 50' wide lot attracts attention.  Some slowed down to watch, others came up and asked questions.  Many a car slowed to a stop and took photos on their phone.  The notion that you could have your lost tree milled into useable lumber now has hundreds more witnesses than before.  smiley_gossip

Those witnesses have friends, neighbors and family.  When a tree comes down they can now offer an option beyond chip and burn.  Yesterday's client lives over 300 miles away.  As a woodworker he hated to see his daughter's white ash go to waste (1 tree yielded over 1600 board feet).  He didn't know anyone, he found me on the internet.  If you mill for others, please put a pin on the map, enter your information in the Find-A-Database, etc.  I'm not the only portable sawmill in Kansas but it appears so in the database, it's just me and five guys from "arKansas".   smiley_thumbsup   
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

4x4American

Good stuff, Tom.  Networking is huge.
Boy, back in my day..

Ludo

How many FF members out there consider tolls when calculating an estimate? I live about 1.5 hrs from this gentleman. My wife is from Queens (next door to Brooklyn) and we go my mutter-inlaw's now and then.  To get to Queens is costs  $21 in tolls if you take the long way!  If you cut across the George Washington Bridge, the bridge toll costs $15 alone and $28 total in tolls to get to Queens!! Those numbers are for 2 axles only and under 7,000gvw!  To get a tractor trailer to Queens... ready for this???.... it costs $114 for the George Washington and $116 for the Throgsneck to get to Queens! That's right.... $230 to cross two bridges in a truck!   There are a lot of small jobs in the city one could get, but they are seldom worth the aggravation or expense. I can only imagine the cost of a permit to do business in the city....

JohnM

Quote from: Ludo on March 30, 2015, 10:14:54 PM
How many FF members out there consider tolls when calculating an estimate? I live about 1.5 hrs from this gentleman. My wife is from Queens (next door to Brooklyn) and we go my mutter-inlaw's now and then.  To get to Queens is costs  $21 in tolls if you take the long way!  If you cut across the George Washington Bridge, the bridge toll costs $15 alone and $28 total in tolls to get to Queens!! Those numbers are for 2 axles only and under 7,000gvw!  To get a tractor trailer to Queens... ready for this???.... it costs $114 for the George Washington and $116 for the Throgsneck to get to Queens! That's right.... $230 to cross two bridges in a truck!   There are a lot of small jobs in the city one could get, but they are seldom worth the aggravation or expense. I can only imagine the cost of a permit to do business in the city....
I've been across the Throgsneck quite a number of times, my brother lives on LI, it hurts my brain thinking about how much ppl that live down there spend on tolls commuting to work everyday, or going anywhere for that matter.  No.  Thank.  You. no_no smiley_horserider
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

:o  Oh my.  I'll stay in the South where the only Tolls are Toll House Cookies.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Yea, and then try getting lost in the big city, in a rednecktified truck, paying for tolls that you didn't even have to pay for in the first place!!!
Boy, back in my day..

AdirondackMill

I'm about 4 hrs North and we custom saw. :)
3rd Generation Sawmill in the foothills of the Adirondacks. Making big timber is what I love.

Thank You Sponsors!