iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crime Does Pay

Started by Magicman, April 23, 2014, 01:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yes indeed it does, and Good Things can still happen to Bad People.   ;D

I got a Priority Package in the mail today and what a wonderful gift it "is", and soon to be "was".  Four jars of this year's Maple Syrup and a jar of Maple Jelly. (on top)

It was pointed out that as the season progresses, the syrup gets darker as seen from the left to the right.

It has now been established that Grits are an item of International Barter.  Notice that I sent Yellow Grits, which are the same as the Gold Standard.

Now the question is "should I wait 4 days"??   ???    :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jargo432

So what are you going to put it on?
Jack of all trades.

Magicman

I was thinking Biscuits, but everyone knows that Maple Syrup goes on Pan Cakes. food6  I'll know tonight.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

goes on french toast and ice cream too
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Billbob

Pour a little in a frying pan and fry you sausage (or bacon), eggs and pan fry potatoes.  Some good!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

giant splinter

Man does that look good
roll with it

MattJ

I recommend Kodiak Cake flapjacks, you can get them at Target and they are an awesome breakfast with real maple syrup.  They are made with wholewheat, honey and buttermilk and seem to give good quality maple syrup the justice it deserves! 

My 2 cents!

Matt

Peter Drouin

WAIT 4 DAYS, If you can, It will be better when you try it. And don't put it on grits  :D :D :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I have some Grits I would be willing to trade too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

Quote from: thecfarm on April 23, 2014, 06:24:52 PM
I have some Grits I would be willing to trade too.  ;D

Thecfarm, you knows better. Your stuck!   food1
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

JohnM

Ok, I need explanation of "Maple Jelly". ??? :P
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

GAB

JohnM:
To make maple jelly you start with some genugel, water, and maple syrup all together in a pot.
Depending on your bravery will depend on the size of the batch.  Last batch I made I used a whole gallon of syrup.
Put it on the stove and boil it to 218*F, then pour into jars and seal.
Good on lots of things, toasts, warm or hot muffins, donuts, I think you get the idea.
FYI: Genugel is a pectin for maple syrup.
Hope this helps answer your question.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

21incher

Boy you made out like a bandit. Send inferior instant grits north and get grade A syrup returned. My wife used some to make maple frosting for a apple cake and it was awesome.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Never heard of the jelly. But that frosting is mighty good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAB

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 23, 2014, 01:42:48 PM
goes on french toast and ice cream too
You are correct, but I have only tried it on vanilla ice cream.
I'd hate to ruin good syrup on some varieties of ice cream.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

No waiting 4 days with this.  Pat made pancakes.

And the Maple Syrup was awesome.

Thank you GAB for the thoughtfulness and the gift.  I am anxious to try the Maple Jelly, but it will be later.  Maybe with biscuits.   :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Boy you shore know how to eat!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

yukon cornelius

my mouth is watering! those look good!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

sawguy21

Quote from: 21incher on April 23, 2014, 07:33:06 PM
Boy you made out like a bandit. Send inferior instant grits north and get grade A syrup returned.
:D :D :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Guys, it's all in how you play your hand. 

To quote MW.  "When I'm good, I'm very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better".   :D

Chuck White

Quote from: thecfarm on April 23, 2014, 07:35:57 PM
Never heard of the jelly. But that frosting is mighty good.

Heck!  I've got a contact up here that makes all kinds of wine, and even makes one that's MAPLE flavored!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Warbird

My mouth just watered. 

Brucer

The "premium" grade of maple syrup is #1, a rather pale syrup. Both Barb and I favour the darker (and cheaper) #2 because it seems to have a lot more flavour.

I recently learned that the grading system was first established when maple syrup was often used as a substitute for sugar. The premium syrup was not supposed to have a strong flavour! Apparently there is a move afoot to change the grading system.

You'll have to do a taste comparison for us and let us know what you find.

Maple syrup is an excellent topping on home made vanilla ice cream  :).

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Chuck White

The new grading system is supposed to kick in next Spring!

All it amounts to is, you'll need to get some new labels because there's different names for the same thing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Chunk,never heard of Maple wine either. I gotta get off the hill more.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!