iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ready for the house project

Started by drobertson, April 22, 2014, 09:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

got the logs bucked to length and now ready for it to begin.

12'ers

eight and ten foot'ers,

Wes, making the best of the scale,  a good day, and a soon to be pile of lumber.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

scsmith42

Nice whack of logs!  Are you planning a timberframe, or ???
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ozarkgem

Quote from: drobertson on April 22, 2014, 09:33:19 PM
got the logs bucked to length and now ready for it to begin.

12'ers

eight and ten foot'ers,

Wes, making the best of the scale,  a good day, and a soon to be pile of lumber.
[/quote
Sweet . I want some pine like those. What are they? Yellow , Loblolly ect.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Magicman

Looking good.  That has to be my favorite sized logs to saw.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

We went off the weight scale on these, 35 tons, estimated bdft'd 5868,   Not sure on the final tally, but well over 6000bdft.  This is just the floor joist, ridge trusses, and outside studs.  More on this job as it unfolds.  A fun project, with some pretty nice pine to work with. It is more of the lighter color SYP that has a tighter ring growth.
There are so many variables I have seen with pine, that knowing the exact species would be hard for me to say.
There was more sweep in these than I would prefer, but much of it was managed while bucking to lengths.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

Nice pile of saw logs, David.
I'm looking forward to seeing this project unfold.  popcorn_smiley
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

drobertson

Got a good start today, no pics, but a good start, had to pick up chicks from the farm store, and hunt some turkey birds as well.  as of now, running around a 15% over run.  Custom cutting can get into  total scale if arrangements are not made ahead of time. In this case, minimal slabs,  4" and up   on lumber, whether 1x's or 2x's
Deck loaded, slabs gone, the morning will be a good one, Lord willing,

kczbest

Sounds like you are off to a good start.  :)
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

drobertson

Lots of folks coming in this week end, kind of a production killer, but so far half way through the 12' 2x8's  with misc side lumber, 

And yes I know there is a mess, had to make a hole, and for those how are all about close stickers, this pile will be gone tomorrow,

ozarkgem

Quote from: drobertson on April 26, 2014, 08:19:19 PM
Lots of folks coming in this week end, kind of a production killer, but so far half way through the 12' 2x8's  with misc side lumber, 

And yes I know there is a mess, had to make a hole, and for those how are all about close stickers, this pile will be gone tomorrow,
are these for your house?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

drobertson

Yes, these will be the floor joist. I have yet to saw out the studs and ridge trusses. Plus a pile of flooring, sheeting and roofing. This will be a green lumber built cabin 24x32.  With inside cedar walls and knotty pine walls.  Changes will occur, but such is usually the case as it goes.

mikeb1079

looking great david!  please post pics as your project progresses (trying saying that 3x fast)   8)  i love a good building project!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

yukon cornelius

david, that will be a great project! that's about the same size we built last fall. 24x 36 story and a half. we are not much more than in the dry but I will finish as I can. if you need any help I would be willing to come down that way!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ozarkgem

Quote from: drobertson on April 26, 2014, 08:47:22 PM
Yes, these will be the floor joist. I have yet to saw out the studs and ridge trusses. Plus a pile of flooring, sheeting and roofing. This will be a green lumber built cabin 24x32.  With inside cedar walls and knotty pine walls.  Changes will occur, but such is usually the case as it goes.
are you letting lumber air dry at all or are you building now? Do you put the shell up and let dry before finishing inside? I have never known anyone to build with green lumber. I might need to do it someday. thanks  Jim

drobertson

Jim, my bad on a previous post, these are not for me.  Sorry bout that, and they will be building soon as concrete is poured.   I've heard many stories of how to build with green lumber, not sure really what's correct,  but the several I have sawed for say go up quick and get them nailed down.  I'm excited about this on because I will be able to watch the progress and see the lasting results. 

ozarkgem

Quote from: drobertson on April 27, 2014, 07:22:29 AM
Jim, my bad on a previous post, these are not for me.  Sorry bout that, and they will be building soon as concrete is poured.   I've heard many stories of how to build with green lumber, not sure really what's correct,  but the several I have sawed for say go up quick and get them nailed down.  I'm excited about this on because I will be able to watch the progress and see the lasting results.
\
If its close to you maybe you can get some pics and quiz the builders about green lumber. My next build I am going to use all local materials and see how cheap I can build a house. Just for fun. I built a 20x30 cabin 2 yrs ago for 7000.00. I think I can do one for less since I did buy some lumber for it.

yukon cornelius

we built our house with green oak and hickory. we allowed for the shrinkage as best we could,nailed it down good and crossed our fingers. we are going on 6 months and no problems. we built the shell and loosely stuffed fiberglass bats in so the wood can still get air and dry. I would do it again if I neede to.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

drobertson

finally got the floor joist sawed out, lots of distractions going on, but none the less moving on to the ridge trusses tomorrow,   

two extras for good measure,

side lumber, 2x6's a few 2x4's and 1x's

and we can't forget the lonely abused stickers, this was half of the batch,
Of the 32 12' logs 17 are gone of the 32 we started with,

Just about forgot the slabs,  going to some good ole boys that raise and train horses,

red oaks lumber

nice looking lumber david
you need more stickers, your lumber will dry flatter and straighter with stickers closer together, a minium of 7 sticks on 12 ' lumber. my thoughts :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

thanks, and no doubt about that, these guys are about to grab and go, more than likely they will be flat stacked when they take them off the trailer, a morning job of framing for them, 

ozarkgem

Quote from: drobertson on April 28, 2014, 07:43:51 PM
thanks, and no doubt about that, these guys are about to grab and go, more than likely they will be flat stacked when they take them off the trailer, a morning job of framing for them,
Nice looking stack of lumber. I wonder how they are keeping the floor joist from sagging?

drobertson

Quote from: ozarkgem on April 28, 2014, 08:07:16 PM
Quote from: drobertson on April 28, 2014, 07:43:51 PM
Nice looking stack of lumber. I wonder how they are keeping the floor joist from sagging?
[/quote}
they are digging footers and piers, I'm not a builder per say, but it is all figured in I'm sure,  Had a little change up today, but nothing that will affect my end of the project, Just means a few more boards,

ddcuning

Awesome job David, that is some nice looking lumber. Also, I love the slab rack. I may have to have one of those built. I design steam lines and can usually get my hands on sticks of 4 and 6 inch steel pipe. My problem is that I don't have a welder to fabricate myself.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

WmFritz

I don't want to alarm you, but in reply #18, 3rd picture down,
  I believe there's a bear hiding behind your stack.   :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!