iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Sinker Cypress

Started by Magicman, April 22, 2014, 09:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I looked at a fairly large "Sinker Cypress" job today.

The logs are all good sized with one log being over 36".

They were tree length and the customer will buck and stage them this week.

And then there were these; a 34" Cherrybark Oak, and a 35" Water Oak.  note: after cleaning them up, they both actually measured 36" butt.  You can see the Water Oak in the background.  I also noticed about a dozen ERC logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ddcuning

MM, is the cherrybark the same as say a wild cherry? You see larger cherry in the mountains of NC but here in central NC you don't find the larger trees that often.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Magicman

I will reword the post.  It is a Cherrybark Oak, which is our highest quality Red Oak.  The Water Oak is also a Red Oak, but lower quality.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

Some nice logs to work with. I am more curious about how the Cypress look when it comes off the mill ;D
Always like customers that have the equipment to make the job easier.
Went and looked at a big job today as well. Ground is still to soft to walk one of the excavators back out to the landing, but about 20,000 bft of White Oak and Madrone.
Headed over towards the coast with the mill in the morning, wind and rain in the forcast. Will be setting up the mill in a quary to mill some Myrtlewood logs. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ddcuning

Oops! Sorry, I guess I need to get up to speed on the various species of oaks. At that size will you quartersaw or flat saw? Would love to see picks of the inside of those oaks.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Magicman

Probably flat, but whatever the customer wants.

This customer is a logger and the logs are at his yard.  He has a loader and everything else to handle these logs.

dgdrls

Looks like a nice project.  Look forward to some pictures of Cherry Oak if you have time.
Travel safe MM

DGDrls

manoverboard

I'm sure your up to the task magicman, pis are what i'm waiting for...
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

dboyt

Those look like serious logs!  Always good to hear what you're up to.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Dodgy Loner

Is that the fellow that I sent your way, Lynn? I'm curious to see what's in those cypress logs too!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

Yes Dodgy, that is the job. 

Magicman

The customer called today and it is all bucked and staged.  We set a tentative sawing date starting June 10th.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Sinker cypress has to be dried much more slowly than non-sinker to avoid checks, cracks, etc.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Magicman

I have no idea how this will respond to sawing because from the looks of it, it has been out of the water for over a year??   At this point I also have no idea what the lumber use will be.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

:D  Yup, I thought about adding those exact remarks.   8)

SawyerBrown

I worked with a guy a while back who was bringing some big cypress logs up from somewhere down there, don't recall exactly where.  But (again, as I recall) he said these had been under water for like 100 years or some such time, so they had been felled by an ax or a hand saw.  The really interesting part was that, apparently, there was some kind of stamp on the back side of the ax that different companies had, and they would strike that stamp in the end of the log so that they could sort them out after they floated them down-river.  He said in these 100-year-old logs, the stamp was still clearly visible.  Amazing.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

dchiapin

I saw quit a bit of sinker cypress, beware of all the fine sand in the log.
I would suggest you have the customer pressure wash them first or you will surely have some dull blades real quick.

Magicman

I took a look and they are really nice.  

They are bucked into 8', 10', 12', & 14' lengths and look heavy.

I saw one 8' log that measured 38" with a 42" butt.   :o

And there were a few that were Pecky, and I did see some ring shake, but I can saw around that to maximize yield.

Ocklawahaboy

I've been piecemeal sawing some small pieces I recovered about 7 years ago.  They've been improperly stored and were not nearly that high of quality to begin with.  Even with being subjected to rain and sun, they are yielding very nice looking lumber.  It is just fairly soft.  You will dull some blades though.

Magicman

Having an opportunity to dull a few blades on something like this is a pleasure.   ;D

Woodey

I sawed 2 sinker cypress logs a few weeks ago and the ends looked like your pecky log picture.

This is the lumber that came out of both logs.
First time to see boards with this figure. Let me know how yours looks
when you open up the log.

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

21incher

Wow that is amazing Woodey. Are the darker areas soft, or are they just stained?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

They are holes.

MM, those are fine.  I eagerly await the results. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!