iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best way to dry wide EWP.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 22, 2014, 10:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I'm getting a ton of clear wide white pine boards off of the timbers I'm sawing. Initially my plan was to sticker it outside for the summer and try to market in the fall. After looking at the prices of some of this stuff, I'm wondering if it needs more care than being covered outside. Will the small amount of graying that lumber piles get on the outside be a defect? Should this stuff be kiln dried at some point? There is no money to have any dried right now. I'm going to have many thousands of feet of clear lumber from this project, much of it very wide. I sawed for three hours yesterday, and cut almost 600 board feet of clear 5/4x18"x12' lumber, plus a lot of narrower stuff. And when I say clear, I mean completely defect free:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LittleJohn

You are right -> DEFECT FREE

I have always just air dried (stacked, stickered and covered) my lumber (mostly for personal use) sold a little bit but not enought to brag about.  I generally let air dry for a minimum of 3 month and a maximum of 2 years; depending on schedule, back soreness and room in garage (currently lacking space as construction supplies for house are taking up space).  Have found that generally after about 2 years outside, at least in MN, you need to move wood inside or sell, cause elements can start to take effect on wood (Rot, fungi, ...)

NOTE: A few years back had a nice pile with some 4/4 x 22" x 10' White Pine boards.  Not as clean as yours, but almost. 
Also not uncommon to have several White Pine 1x12,14,16 in my stack, very nice board to make drawers out os.

Jim_Rogers

Sell some now and use the money to get some dried.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

How do find whoever wants this stuff, and how do I set a price?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

To find the price, act like a customer. Call up someone and or do an internet search and see if someone has stuff like this for sale. See what they are getting.

To sell it, if someone you call or email doesn't have it, ask them if they'd like to buy some.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

hacknchop

Most dry kiln operators know who would be using clear w pine and should be able to help with finding a market for your wood.In the meantime sticker it right of the saw keep it out of the sun and if you feel you need to cover it make sure you leave enough room for good air flow through your piles
Often wrong never indoubt

LittleJohn

I usually dont have an issue with finding people to buy lumber; they seem to find me.

Not two weeks after my dad bought his WM LT40; we had it parked in front of Grandma's house, cause we had to fall and remove a few monster from the back 40 and we figured we had a week to get logs out and sawed.  Within 1 hour a guys stopped by and started looking at the mill and asked if it was for sale, my dad says no; the guys then asks it he saws lumber for $$$ and my dad fessed up about the mill and said that he had not even fired the mill up yet to saw lumber (It was two years of hobby cutting/practice before we milled lumber for profit money). 

red oaks lumber

dave
you want to use dry narrow stickers for ewp, i would put stickers every 12-18" apart  starting 2" from the ends.pay close attention to each row of stickers so they are directly above each row.
make your piles no more than 48" wide and have the best air flow area as possible. after maybe 6 weeks i would find a good reputable kiln dry service to get the wood out of the elements. i would post it on craigslist or talk to local tradesmen to locate a market.
our area dry ewp clear can bring $2.00 b.f. or more
good luck
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Escavader

If your air during space boards apart if your kiln drying with fans tight together dry sticks to avoid sticker stain  a piece of metal roofing on top so the sun doesn't check or cup it no plastic!
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Peter Drouin

Dave, I have a bunch of w pine like that , and sell it for 1.00 to 1.50 a BF . It doesn't move that fast so I keep a 1000 BF of it on hand. and when I get clear wood now it goes in with the rest of the lumber [ Mill Run ]
When I get the nile on line will see . :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!