iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

School bus to carry a nuckle boom loader?

Started by redprospector, April 22, 2014, 01:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redprospector

Anyone have experience with a school bus chassis, other than it's intended use?

I have an old, old knuckle boom loader that was self propelled at one time. Somewhere down the line the front axle was removed, the differential gutted, and a gooseneck was added. When I bought it I thought it would really be handy, but it has proven to be a pain in the butt.
About a year or so ago I bought a 1992 Ford/Bluebird school bus for the 12 valve 5.9 Cummins. I haven't pulled the engine yet, because I figured it was in a good place until I need it.
I decided I wanted to come up with a single axle truck to mount the loader on. Then my wife asked me why I didn't (I hate it when she does that  :D) cut the rear of the body off the bus and mount the loader on it? I looked at her, dumbfounded, and said; I don't know.
So before I start spending money, I thought I'd ask if anyone knew a reason this wouldn't work?
The best I can make out the name on the loader was "Yard Master". It is powered by a 353 Detroit, and I estimate it to weigh in the neighborhood of 12 to 14,000 lbs. as it sits right now. Maybe down to 10 or 11,000 with the frame, axle, and gooseneck gone.
As stated the bus has a 5.9 Cummins with some kind of automatic transmission that doesn't have a park position. It's wearing 11-22.5 rubber.
Do you think it'll hold up to this kind of abuse?
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

ozarkgem

Quote from: redprospector on April 22, 2014, 01:22:27 AM
Anyone have experience with a school bus chassis, other than it's intended use?

I have an old, old knuckle boom loader that was self propelled at one time. Somewhere down the line the front axle was removed, the differential gutted, and a gooseneck was added. When I bought it I thought it would really be handy, but it has proven to be a pain in the butt.
About a year or so ago I bought a 1992 Ford/Bluebird school bus for the 12 valve 5.9 Cummins. I haven't pulled the engine yet, because I figured it was in a good place until I need it.
I decided I wanted to come up with a single axle truck to mount the loader on. Then my wife asked me why I didn't (I hate it when she does that  :D) cut the rear of the body off the bus and mount the loader on it? I looked at her, dumbfounded, and said; I don't know.
So before I start spending money, I thought I'd ask if anyone knew a reason this wouldn't work?
The best I can make out the name on the loader was "Yard Master". It is powered by a 353 Detroit, and I estimate it to weigh in the neighborhood of 12 to 14,000 lbs. as it sits right now. Maybe down to 10 or 11,000 with the frame, axle, and gooseneck gone.
As stated the bus has a 5.9 Cummins with some kind of automatic transmission that doesn't have a park position. It's wearing 11-22.5 rubber.
Do you think it'll hold up to this kind of abuse?
There should be a GVW sticker on the bus somewhere. I would think the bus frame would be kind of light for that. If you loader weighs 7 ton that is close to max load already. My single axle dump truck only hauls 7-8 ton. Seems like a lot of work. Check the frame size against another truck and see if there is a difference in size
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

barbender

All I know is it will make a sweet looking rig ;D
Too many irons in the fire

North River Energy

Photos please of loader?

Saw a Craigslist ad maybe last summer for what looked like a small(er) Prentice on a school bus.  So it's been done at least once.
Bus transmission is probably an Allison at 545 or similar.
My yard loader is tail-mounted on a '68 Dodge c800 with 2sd single axle, and 11-20's, if that helps any.  Goes down the road fine when it needs to.

How's that new loader/trailer combo working out? 

luvmexfood

Haven't seen that but have seen a couple converted to haul cattle. Top left on and a partition between the driver and cattle. In the summer I bet it would get "ripe" in there.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

M_S_S

Lol never seen a school bus with a loader on it or hauling cattle, but did see on set up to shear sheep in. They made a ramp for the sheep to go in one of the emergency doors and had holes cut out a long the sides with ramps for exit. Think there were 4 shearers working in it, pretty cool set up. Ed
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

shinnlinger

I bought a bus when I moved from Oregon to haul my crap.  Registered as an RV to avoid cdl.  They are usually on medium duty truck chassis, but if your only hauling the loader I don't see why it wouldn't work. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

hacknchop

Some in around here have converted them into flatbeds and haul round bales with them seem to handle quite a load.
Often wrong never indoubt

redprospector

This is the loader. I only intend to use the loader, engine/pump, hydraulic tank, and outriggers. The "trailer" and other unnecessary weight will be left behind, whether I use the bus or go with a truck.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

redprospector

Quote from: North River Energy on April 22, 2014, 08:51:35 AM
Photos please of loader?

Saw a Craigslist ad maybe last summer for what looked like a small(er) Prentice on a school bus.  So it's been done at least once.
Bus transmission is probably an Allison at 545 or similar.
My yard loader is tail-mounted on a '68 Dodge c800 with 2sd single axle, and 11-20's, if that helps any.  Goes down the road fine when it needs to.

How's that new loader/trailer combo working out?
The "new loader/trailer" is working real good. I was going to post a video of it working, but I've found that it's difficult to video yourself while both hands are busy with levers.  ;)

luvmexfood

And I forgot about seeing the ones years ago converted to campers for deer camp. No insulation in them but they had a big pot belly stove in them so I guess you were either cold or hot.

Jeff

If you are going to use it to load kids, you might need a friendlier grapple.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wwsjr

How is the small loader you picked up from my place working out for you? Is it mounted on a trailer? Post a pic if you can.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

treeslayer2003

here they cut the top out and load um down with water melons so I don't see why not.
Andy that loader don't look to heavy. but whats wrong with the setup as it is?

redprospector

Quote from: Jeff on April 22, 2014, 04:07:46 PM
If you are going to use it to load kids, you might need a friendlier grapple.

Naw, these kids are pretty unruly, so I think this grapple is about the right friendly.  :D

redprospector

Quote from: wwsjr on April 22, 2014, 04:36:16 PM
How is the small loader you picked up from my place working out for you? Is it mounted on a trailer? Post a pic if you can.

Willie
Hey Willie,
It's working real good, I mounted it on the same trailer we loaded it on.

This is some firewood I hauled with it. I just wish my trailer was a little longer, and had dual wheels.

bigred1951

north river energy got any pics of that dodge? Is it the kind with the swing out front fenders?

redprospector

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on April 22, 2014, 04:55:39 PM
here they cut the top out and load um down with water melons so I don't see why not.
Andy that loader don't look to heavy. but whats wrong with the setup as it is?

I'm not sure just what it weighs. I do know that it pulls like a boat anchor, and the weight distribution is all wrong on it.
What I don't like about the set up like it is...I usually work alone anymore, so unless I've got someone picking up logs from one of my jobs, I'm loading on my dual wheel gooseneck. If I need to move the loader, any at all, I have to unhook from the trailer I'm hauling on, hook up to the loader, move the loader 10'(?), then unhook from the loader, hook back up to the trailer I'm hauling on, back up to the loader and finish loading. I guess I could keep another pickup hooked to the loader, but then I'd have to walk home to get the other truck.  :D
I think it would just be a lot more convenient, and efficient to have the loader on a truck, or bus. Since I already own the bus I might save a nickel or 2 if I use it.

North River Energy

Quote from: redprospectorThe "new loader/trailer" is working real good. I was going to post a video of it working, but I've found that it's difficult to video yourself while both hands are busy with levers.

One word: Tripod. :) 

The important parts of 'Ol Yeller probably don't outweigh a full pull of healthy children on a field trip with oversized nose bags.

Quote from: bigred1951north river energy got any pics of that dodge? Is it the kind with the swing out front fenders?

Yes&yes.

shinnlinger

sweet old Dodge!  Does it have a 2 speed rear?  My bus did not and I think that would be the only shortcoming I could foresee...
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

Funny, My semi local Craigslist has a loader for sale on a school bus chassis.

Dave
Shinnlinger

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: North River Energy on April 22, 2014, 08:18:37 PM

I like it!

As far as load on the bus, if its a long one, they regularly put 3 kids in a seat (3x30x85lbs) (70lb kid with 15lbs of books ::)) will give you a live load of 7,600lbs.  For high school (football team + band) you'd be looking at 60 kids averaging 180 so that's over 10,000 lbs.  If you strip off the top of the bus you should pick up another 4-500lbs. Your loader doesn't look that heavy.  Go for it!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

bigred1951

love the dodge. dad had one that was tandem axle, air brakes. Had a 413 and a 5+4 trans with a 20 some foot roll back on it. A guy out the road owns it now and i been seeing it hauling a skidder lately

North River Energy

Quote from: shinnlingersweet old Dodge!  Does it have a 2 speed rear?  My bus did not and I think that would be the only shortcoming I could foresee...

Thanks, 'old iron' admirers...

It's a real peach. 361-2, 5+2spd and air brakes. Rough around the edges, but no significant rust to speak of.

I think RP's bus has an automatic, so the single speed rear shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Quite the rig there on CList, Dave.  Wonder how the DMV classifies a 'modified' bus?

redprospector

Quote from: North River Energy on April 22, 2014, 08:18:37 PM

One word: Tripod. :) 

The important parts of 'Ol Yeller probably don't outweigh a full pull of healthy children on a field trip with oversized nose bags.

Quote from: bigred1951north river energy got any pics of that dodge? Is it the kind with the swing out front fenders?

Yes&yes.

No one has called me tripod in years.  :D
I think I can get the weight down under 10K, maybe quite a bit under.

I like the old Dodge too.

redprospector

Quote from: shinnlinger on April 22, 2014, 09:59:53 PM
Funny, My semi local Craigslist has a loader for sale on a school bus chassis.

Dave
I'm not very good with craigslist, I can't find it.
I'll keep looking, it might give me some ideas.

Freedom6178

I've seen school buses used to haul water on a large farm they cut the back off of it and made a flat bed. Also saw a bus with the back end cut off to haul a muddin truck. We cut and fabricated a pair of doors on the back of a bus with ramps to load our Civil War cannon the weight wasn't more than about 5000 lbs plus gear and could still haul a few people to and from events. But the bus had a gas motor and was a pooch with the AT trans. But you can do a lot with an old bus.. I'd say go for it.. I'd probably look into that GVW tho.. Sorry no pics of the bus atm they don't use it much anymore..

This is the gun both parts fit an the back of the buss loaded with a winch.
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

redprospector

Ok, I guess I'm going to have to show my ignorance.
What is the frame with the conveyor chain on the other side of the bus frame? It looks like some kind of a live deck, but on a loader?  ??? Or is it just something leaning up against the bus?

North River Energy

redprospector

Quote from: North River Energy on April 24, 2014, 08:54:08 AM
Processor on a bus chassis...
Hmmm. Maybe a bus is the ultimate vehicle after all.  :D

North River Energy

^
"I don't want to cause no fuss; but can I buy your magic bus?"

redprospector

Hahaha. I don't own anything that can't be bought...for a price.  :D

luvmexfood

Trying to learn how to post pictures.

Just build you one of these with the bus.

I think I got it.

treeslayer2003

Thank You Sponsors!