iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

air clamp for log furniture

Started by ozarkgem, April 21, 2014, 07:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

One of the things I had trouble with putting tenons on Cedar post was the log wanted to turn while I was cutting. I made this air clamp to hold the logs. The bottom V jaws are moveable and the top can be raised or lowered depending on the size of the log. I have a foot air switch to operate it with. The little arms are for holding my drill. they fold out of the way so I don't catch stuff on them. Sure speeds things up

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

thecfarm

Looks like a good idea and simple.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

I like anything that helps make a job easier... especially when working alone. Nice rig.  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ozarkgem

Quote from: WmFritz on April 21, 2014, 08:44:37 PM
I like anything that helps make a job easier... especially when working alone. Nice rig.  ;)
Thank you . Do you have any pics of your mill?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ozarkgem

Quote from: thecfarm on April 21, 2014, 08:37:50 PM
Looks like a good idea and simple.
\
I like simple. I am not smart enough to make it complex

thecfarm

We had those "complex" people at work.  ::) Took twice as long to find the problem than on a simple machine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

That looks to be a nice solution to an age old problem.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

Quote from: ozarkgem on April 21, 2014, 08:48:26 PM

I've got a couple... pretty basic.  :D 

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

ozarkgem

Quote from: WmFritz on April 21, 2014, 10:47:51 PM
Quote from: ozarkgem on April 21, 2014, 08:48:26 PM

I've got a couple... pretty basic.  :D 

nice job. Looks simple and does a nice job. Love the paint.

thecfarm

Blue business sweatshirts? What do they say?

WmFritz

Quote from: thecfarm on April 22, 2014, 09:16:47 AM
Blue business sweatshirts? What do they say?

;D Ray, the blue sweatshirts were a Christmas prank to my two brothers and I. We had a sawmilling day last year where my brothers came over and spent a day helping me mill. My sister ( far left), decided to come out too and get a load of firewood while we had the extra help. Then my parents figured they'd come hang out and supervise. When we found out my Mom was coming, we thought we would break out the Christmas presents.

They say "Mom loves me best".  :D :D

Not in the picture were my two boys helping that day too. We put a good dent in the log pile that day and were on our last cant when we stopped for a photo. ( that's me and Vicki on the right.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

yukon cornelius

that is great. I need something like that. I use pipe vises. I have one mounted on my bench and I have a portable one. they accept up to 3 inches, good enough for a lot of log furniture. bigger stuff I struggle with. very nice build and thanks for sharing!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

ozarkgem

Quote from: yukon cornelius on April 22, 2014, 02:21:54 PM
that is great. I need something like that. I use pipe vises. I have one mounted on my bench and I have a portable one. they accept up to 3 inches, good enough for a lot of log furniture. bigger stuff I struggle with. very nice build and thanks for sharing!
Thank you. Not hard to build. I think I have another air switch if you decide to build on. Surplus Center in Lincoln.NE has lots of surplus air cyl. I can clamp bigger than I can cut a tenon on. Plan on coming by your place in the not too distant future if you accept visitors .

21incher

Nice job. I bet it really speeds your production and makes it a much safer operation.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

yukon cornelius

Ozarkgem come on by! anyone who isn't family is welcome here haha! im here most all the time. I can show off my work in progress place.

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Ozark, I really like that idea and may just barrow it from you once I get some parts scrounged up.  I see a trip to the scrapyard in my future to see if I can find a dump truck tailgate lock/actuator setup to try out.
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Jason_AliceMae Farms on April 24, 2014, 08:35:59 PM
Ozark, I really like that idea and may just barrow it from you once I get some parts scrounged up.  I see a trip to the scrapyard in my future to see if I can find a dump truck tailgate lock/actuator setup to try out.
You will need more stroke than a dump truck cylinder will have. I will try and remember and measure the stroke tomorrow. Course that depends on how you set your pivot point also. Get the most clamping pressure you can get.

yukon cornelius

I have been planning a v clamp setup on my hydraulic press.  It would be nice to use it for something. I have only used it a couple times since I bought it.

ozarkgem

Quote from: yukon cornelius on April 24, 2014, 10:47:14 PM
I have been planning a v clamp setup on my hydraulic press.  It would be nice to use it for something. I have only used it a couple times since I bought it.
that would work . Just be a little slow. At my age speed is everything.LOL  You could use the same type setup and put an put a truck air brake pod on it. The stroke would be limited though. Lots of clamping power though. You could raise and lower the bed to compensate. I used what I had and didn't want to have to do a lot of adjusting.

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Ozark - thank, I appreciate the input.  The tailgate cylinder what the first thing that came to mind that I might be able to find pretty easy.  I was guessing that an 8 inch or so stroke would work out after some tinkering.  If you remember I would be interested in knowing what your cylinder's stroke measured at.

I like the holder for the drill too, keeps everything together so you don't have to look around the shop for where you put the drill.  Did you think about building a little fixture to keep your cutters stored on your clamping jig too?
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Jason_AliceMae Farms on April 25, 2014, 07:37:48 AM
Ozark - thank, I appreciate the input.  The tailgate cylinder what the first thing that came to mind that I might be able to find pretty easy.  I was guessing that an 8 inch or so stroke would work out after some tinkering.  If you remember I would be interested in knowing what your cylinder's stroke measured at.

I like the holder for the drill too, keeps everything together so you don't have to look around the shop for where you put the drill.  Did you think about building a little fixture to keep your cutters stored on your clamping jig too?
Good idea on the cutter storage. As of now I just have the one cutter but am getting ready to order another one. I forgot to measure. 8" stroke would work. You may have to make the center pivot point adjustable up and down a little. I found very little adjustment needed to be made between a 3 or 6" log. Just play with it a little it will work.

Thank You Sponsors!