iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

square hewn log notching.....

Started by Papa, April 21, 2014, 01:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankw

On page 3 of this post you can see some more pictures of the roofing (Nipah) and also of the leaves when drying in front of our garage.
My in-laws claim roof will last up to 8-10 years when not exposed too much to typhoons (building protected by trees) and it only takes 2 weeks (2 men) to make it. The crest and around the chimney have some metal after the first layer of Nipah and each leave was stapled to the wooden purlins (2x2").

We first planned Spanish roof tiles (hand made) but later noticed how cool the thatched roofs here are (very good insulation) and also saw some pictures of Finnish and Russian saunas with thatched roofs so we went for the (very cheap) Nipah palm fonds.
Frank

TW

That must be the first ever log sauna covered with palm leaves in human history.
The most common roofing material on Finnish saunas in the old days was birch bark though I think there were a few thathed ones as well.

Keeping in mind that you are a total beginner your sauna looks surprisingly well made. My first attempts at log building did not look that good.
I am sure it works like a sauna though it doesn't look like one. The corner notches are distinctly American and the roof distinctly south east Asian but after all that is just a matter of taste. Well done!

By the way there should be one hole far up the back wall above where you have the termometre and one far down the front wall or in the lower part of the door or just a gap under the door. Both some 10 by 10 cm. They provide ventilation and make the bath more healthy.

Frankw

Thanks TW, I will consider additional vents; there is already a gap under the door and plenty of air can also escape between the inner pipe flue and casing above the ceiling but a hole near the thermometer sounds like a very good idea. There is no smoke inside whatsoever coming from the heater (well designed) or from above the roof (perfect seal) and a nice wood smell (cedar-pine).
I had plenty of help from the forum with the construction and first made a model with 1" wood sticks before I started the building that helped as lot, keeping the walls and corners vertical and level was the biggest problem with the irregular shaped logs and of course the scribing was not that easy....
I forgot to mention the polyester webbing (black) that is used here to cover thatched roofs, comes in rolls 6 feet wide (green and black) like fish net but a lot stronger and multi-ply that you stretch over the Nipah leaves (roofing) and that gives it that shape.
The American-oriental look of the sauna was done on purpose, my "artistic" contribution.....
Taking sauna baths helps to relieve my rheumatic joints and shoulders and to relax, lost some weight too (27 kg) without any additional methods but it makes my eyes very dry (pink-eye) so cannot do it more than once a week. My wife likes sauna baths too now albeit not longer than 5 minutes at the time, mine are 15 minutes long per stretch.
Frank

Frankw

Already 2 years and sauna is looking better in the more mature yard; had to fill up some minor gaps in the upper layer/gable (not enough weight/scribing too deep) but otherwise no issues, foundation level, no roof leaks and no termites! Hereby 3 pictures I took today, the large tree above the sauna is a Lomboy, fruits like a very sweet, purple-black cherry.

Frankw

Already 8 years and the sauna is still going strong: Roof in perfect shape, no leaks, no issues after several typhoons. The structure is still 100% level, door closes good and no termites anywhere. The top layer shows some small gaps (due to the shrinking) but I am fine with that. 
I mentioned our house a few times in this post and recently wrote a story for a Tropical House and Garden magazine that I would like to share: House and Garden
I also used a lot of hardwood (Narra) building our house.
Hope you like it.
Frank

Frankw

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on July 06, 2015, 09:10:35 AM
Frank,

I've enjoyed watching your project.  From figuring it out--to building the model--to completing the final building.  You did a real nice job.  Enjoy your sauna!

Brian
I mentioned our house in San Juan-Abra where we used a lot of hardwood in the building. A magazine published this story recently that I would like to share: House & Garden
Frank

Tom King

That's for posting that!  It looks both gorgeous, and comfortable!

Frankw

Thanks Tom,
:) We are very happy with the house, it survived an earthquake last July, still feeling almost daily tremors but no cracks in the walls, water well and plumbing OK, roof is solid too, just gave it 2 coats with Acrylic paint, looks like new. Would not be able to buy that wood locally now, imported teakwood would cost a small fortune.

beenthere

Frank
Would be nice to have your location in your profile. Click on your user name, and there you can update it to show some location info. Helps greatly to understand the content of messages. 

thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Frankw, you're going to make me late for work reading about it!!!!!
Nice write up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!