iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

square hewn log notching.....

Started by Papa, April 21, 2014, 01:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankw

Jon,

Without your guidance and tips from the forum I would have never gotten this far.
I would like to use 3 logs for the gable (see picture) with 1" pegs (thick) x 2" (protruding) between each log (including the one above the door) and also with deeply scribed grooves (1"-2") so the gable looks similar to the structure. I have only 60 cm overlap front and back (eaves) so the porch will only be 60 cm deep. The gable will be 75 cm high above the door (275 cm from floor level), stacked on top of level 11 (last notched log above he door on pictures not yet scribed).
The 2x4 rafters will be scribed (50%) inside the logs and the 1x4 ceiling screwed against the bottom of the rafters will follow the flooring (across) so I will need to make squares (2" deep scribed rafters lengthwise and across for the ceiling). No rafters parallel to the roof planned outside (eaves) as that will remain open (no ceiling). I have attached a plan of the rafters but open to suggestions. The idea is to leave 30% of the joists and ridge beam exposed inside the cabin.

Frankw

The last log in place (ridge beam), happy moment, and the last notch cut after 3 months. Next will be the 2x4 rafters (18) the thatch roofing (Nipa fonds) and then the 1x4 T&G ceiling.....

beenthere

Progress... smiley_thumbsup

That be Frank and his crew in the first pic?

Do they get hired by the job, or by the hour and are they a building crew or "pick up" as needed?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frankw

Yes, that is me (Frank), I had a steady 4 men crew (uncles and cousins on my wife's side) and our gardener during the project, I pay them by the day, and they are rice farmers that had never done anything like this before. The last two days I had extra help (field workers) to lift the ridge beam (far too heavy) and keep it from falling down. The carpentry (benches) was done by a neighbour (not on the pictures) and the thatched roof will be made by yet another relative (building contractor). Not one single nail was used only the flooring was (stainless) screwed down to te 4x4 trusses.

thecfarm

Frankw,that sure does look good!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Frankw

A

After exactly 3 months since we started the project finally the rafters

Measuring the roof pitch: 34 degrees (8/12)

Frank

Frankw

...and the 2x2 purlins with the nipa palm fonds for the thatched roof

Frankw

Almost 4 months and started with the ceiling: 1x4 T&G scribed with insulation

Dad2FourWI

Wow... very neat project.... looks a lot more fun that what I am working on!!!!  :D :D :D

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Frankw

It's great fun. Hope to try out the heater after a couple of weeks to see if I can get the large space hot enough (90 degrees Celcius). My brother-in-law with a cow on the foreground.

Frank

beenthere

Where is the snow or the cold lake to jump into after the sauna? 
That was one of the enjoyments of having been that hot for a short spell.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frankw

None of that but I am building a shower next to the sauna (not on the pictures yet). It gets cooler in January here but we are having at the moment a heat wave (39 degrees Celcius).

Frank

jander3

Nice work Frank,

However I agree with been there.  Fire up the sauna, chop a hole in the lake ice.    Sauna to lake water mid-winter, you will never forget.

I am guessing you have one of the only saunas in your area.

Frankw

Thanks Jon and Beenthere,
Unfortunately extreme cold adversely affects my (leg) joints due to gout and arthritis issues. I am interested in learning how to build a small log cabin and observing the drying of a green lumber structure as well as the general sauna health benefits not to forget the taste of ice cold beer after a long sauna bath. But you are correct that this is the only sauna in the Abra province (and possibly the only traditional log cabin in the Philippines).
Frank

Frankw

Almost there........

Stephen1

That was a great post. Congrulations on a great build. Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Frankw

All that is left is adding the porch and fire it up

Raining season has started meanwhwile and weather is much cooler now.

Frankw

My last picture for this post: Taken on July 5 2015, exactly 5 months after starting my sauna project. The first typhoon arrived this year in Abra and the temperature dropped below 25 degrees Celsius with 85% rel. humidity, very foggy, ideal weather for trying out my sauna. It took 6 cu. feet of firewood in 2 hours to bring the temperature inside the sauna to 75 degrees Celsius with 30% rel. humidity (when water was dropped stones hissed). I then stopped feeding wood in the heater to let the fire burn out which took 1 hour with he same inside temperature (75 degrees C.) and humidity (30%) while frequently opening the door, going in and out (showers) and another hour to drop to 65 degrees C. at which point a left the sauna: Excellent insulation of the cabin (almost hermetically closed) and 5 cu. feet of wood is nothing compared to the Philippines electricity costs (4 hours!). I could have raised the temp. to 80 degrees C. in another 30 minutes (by feeding wood) but 75 degrees is my limit. Not sure if I can get it up to 90 degrees but I would not like to stay inside at that temperature. The ceiling is fine too no black ring around the steel casing (chimney) and the steel floor plate stayed cool in front (heater door). 100% safe, no fire hazards, smoke way up never touching the thatched roof and no sparks noted.

Frank

Brian_Weekley

Frank,

I've enjoyed watching your project.  From figuring it out--to building the model--to completing the final building.  You did a real nice job.  Enjoy your sauna!

Brian
e aho laula

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Frankw

Thanks Stephen and Brian for the compliments and Texas Ranger for the nice image.

I couple of footnotes before "signing off":

•   The front and back roof overhang of the cabin are tapered, negating covered porches but giving the roof an elegant (oriental) look like the Minangkabau style of Sumatra or Bugis style in Sulawesi.
•   The front gable of the cabin right above the door jumps out 2 inches placing it exactly in the middle of the door frame while accentuating the gable (inside and outside the sauna).
•   The 6" chimney with 5" flu were custom made in Manila from spiral GI metal, the system was designed and welded at home and cap with jacket/flange (inside the roofing) were modified several times to correct rain water and smoke leaks.
•   The outdoor, spiral shaped, shower, without door, was made of 2" split bamboo (with overlapping segments wired together) and one 8" x 9 feet pine log (for the shower stand and roof) all framed by 4 x 1" x 6' vertical GI metal pipes set in the concrete base and welded to 3 x 9 mm horizontal round bar rings fully covered with split bamboo (metal invisible).   

Now ready for another sauna bath, lost 2 kg (liters) yesterday immediately replenished by several bottles of beer......

Frank

Frankw

After 1 year sauna is getting more mature....
Frank

Brian_Weekley

Still looks great and I hope it's getting plenty of use.  I really like the thatched roof too.  Beautiful! 
e aho laula

Frankw

Thanks Brian, the roof is made from Nipah palm fonds traditionally used for roofing material in SE Asia. Hereby a side view, we use the sauna twice a month, (more in January) heats up to 90 degrees Celsius in 90 minutes and then stays hot for a full 2 hours without adding any wood, only uses 1 cubic feet of wood.
Frank 

ozarkgem

Quote from: Frankw on March 04, 2016, 06:19:19 PM
Thanks Brian, the roof is made from Nipah palm fonds traditionally used for roofing material in SE Asia. Hereby a side view, we use the sauna twice a month, (more in January) heats up to 90 degrees Celsius in 90 minutes and then stays hot for a full 2 hours without adding any wood, only uses 1 cubic feet of wood.
Frank 

do you have any pics of them putting on the roof. How long will a roof like that last? How long did it take to put the roof on? I am quite fascinated by thatched roofing.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Thank You Sponsors!