The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: square hewn log notching.....  (Read 19231 times)

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
Re: square hewn log notching.....
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2015, 11:56:17 pm »
Where is the snow or the cold lake to jump into after the sauna? 
That was one of the enjoyments of having been that hot for a short spell.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Frankw

• I'm new!
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2015, 03:29:03 pm »
None of that but I am building a shower next to the sauna (not on the pictures yet). It gets cooler in January here but we are having at the moment a heat wave (39 degrees Celcius).

Frank

Offline jander3

• Peeling Logs
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2015, 08:55:19 pm »
Nice work Frank,

However I agree with been there.  Fire up the sauna, chop a hole in the lake ice.    Sauna to lake water mid-winter, you will never forget.

I am guessing you have one of the only saunas in your area.
Jon

Offline Frankw

• I'm new!
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2015, 09:18:32 pm »
Thanks Jon and Beenthere,
Unfortunately extreme cold adversely affects my (leg) joints due to gout and arthritis issues. I am interested in learning how to build a small log cabin and observing the drying of a green lumber structure as well as the general sauna health benefits not to forget the taste of ice cold beer after a long sauna bath. But you are correct that this is the only sauna in the Abra province (and possibly the only traditional log cabin in the Philippines).
Frank

Offline Frankw

• I'm new!
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2015, 11:59:57 pm »
Almost there........

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2015, 07:02:09 pm »
That was a great post. Congrulations on a great build. Stephen
LT40HD, 742b Bobcat, Sthil v170,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Frankw

• I'm new!
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2015, 06:28:03 am »
All that is left is adding the porch and fire it up

Raining season has started meanwhwile and weather is much cooler now.

Offline Frankw

• I'm new!
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2015, 08:11:07 am »
My last picture for this post: Taken on July 5 2015, exactly 5 months after starting my sauna project. The first typhoon arrived this year in Abra and the temperature dropped below 25 degrees Celsius with 85% rel. humidity, very foggy, ideal weather for trying out my sauna. It took 6 cu. feet of firewood in 2 hours to bring the temperature inside the sauna to 75 degrees Celsius with 30% rel. humidity (when water was dropped stones hissed). I then stopped feeding wood in the heater to let the fire burn out which took 1 hour with he same inside temperature (75 degrees C.) and humidity (30%) while frequently opening the door, going in and out (showers) and another hour to drop to 65 degrees C. at which point a left the sauna: Excellent insulation of the cabin (almost hermetically closed) and 5 cu. feet of wood is nothing compared to the Philippines electricity costs (4 hours!). I could have raised the temp. to 80 degrees C. in another 30 minutes (by feeding wood) but 75 degrees is my limit. Not sure if I can get it up to 90 degrees but I would not like to stay inside at that temperature. The ceiling is fine too no black ring around the steel casing (chimney) and the steel floor plate stayed cool in front (heater door). 100% safe, no fire hazards, smoke way up never touching the thatched roof and no sparks noted.

Frank

Offline Brian_Weekley

• I am Batman!
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2015, 09:10:35 am »
Frank,

I’ve enjoyed watching your project.  From figuring it out--to building the model--to completing the final building.  You did a real nice job.  Enjoy your sauna!

Brian
e aho laula

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Staples Forestry
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2015, 10:06:50 am »

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Frankw

• I'm new!
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2015, 10:05:28 pm »
Thanks Stephen and Brian for the compliments and Texas Ranger for the nice image.

I couple of footnotes before "signing off":

•   The front and back roof overhang of the cabin are tapered, negating covered porches but giving the roof an elegant (oriental) look like the Minangkabau style of Sumatra or Bugis style in Sulawesi.
•   The front gable of the cabin right above the door jumps out 2 inches placing it exactly in the middle of the door frame while accentuating the gable (inside and outside the sauna).
•   The 6" chimney with 5" flu were custom made in Manila from spiral GI metal, the system was designed and welded at home and cap with jacket/flange (inside the roofing) were modified several times to correct rain water and smoke leaks.
•   The outdoor, spiral shaped, shower, without door, was made of 2" split bamboo (with overlapping segments wired together) and one 8" x 9 feet pine log (for the shower stand and roof) all framed by 4 x 1" x 6' vertical GI metal pipes set in the concrete base and welded to 3 x 9 mm horizontal round bar rings fully covered with split bamboo (metal invisible).   

Now ready for another sauna bath, lost 2 kg (liters) yesterday immediately replenished by several bottles of beer......

Frank

Offline Frankw

• I'm new!
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2016, 12:53:17 am »
After 1 year sauna is getting more mature....
Frank

Offline Brian_Weekley

• I am Batman!
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2016, 09:37:59 am »
Still looks great and I hope it's getting plenty of use.  I really like the thatched roof too.  Beautiful! 
e aho laula

Offline Frankw

• I'm new!
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2016, 06:19:19 pm »
Thanks Brian, the roof is made from Nipah palm fonds traditionally used for roofing material in SE Asia. Hereby a side view, we use the sauna twice a month, (more in January) heats up to 90 degrees Celsius in 90 minutes and then stays hot for a full 2 hours without adding any wood, only uses 1 cubic feet of wood.
Frank 

Offline ozarkgem

• Senior Member x2
  • age 65 yrs old
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2016, 08:49:06 pm »
Thanks Brian, the roof is made from Nipah palm fonds traditionally used for roofing material in SE Asia. Hereby a side view, we use the sauna twice a month, (more in January) heats up to 90 degrees Celsius in 90 minutes and then stays hot for a full 2 hours without adding any wood, only uses 1 cubic feet of wood.
Frank 

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
do you have any pics of them putting on the roof. How long will a roof like that last? How long did it take to put the roof on? I am quite fascinated by thatched roofing.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Offline Frankw

• I'm new!
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2016, 12:15:45 am »

On page 3 of this post you can see some more pictures of the roofing (Nipah) and also of the leaves when drying in front of our garage.
My in-laws claim roof will last up to 8-10 years when not exposed too much to typhoons (building protected by trees) and it only takes 2 weeks (2 men) to make it. The crest and around the chimney have some metal after the first layer of Nipah and each leave was stapled to the wooden purlins (2x2").

We first planned Spanish roof tiles (hand made) but later noticed how cool the thatched roofs here are (very good insulation) and also saw some pictures of Finnish and Russian saunas with thatched roofs so we went for the (very cheap) Nipah palm fonds.
Frank

Offline TW

• I'm new!
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2016, 02:49:08 pm »
That must be the first ever log sauna covered with palm leaves in human history.
The most common roofing material on Finnish saunas in the old days was birch bark though I think there were a few thathed ones as well.

Keeping in mind that you are a total beginner your sauna looks surprisingly well made. My first attempts at log building did not look that good.
I am sure it works like a sauna though it doesn't look like one. The corner notches are distinctly American and the roof distinctly south east Asian but after all that is just a matter of taste. Well done!

By the way there should be one hole far up the back wall above where you have the termometre and one far down the front wall or in the lower part of the door or just a gap under the door. Both some 10 by 10 cm. They provide ventilation and make the bath more healthy.

Offline Frankw

• I'm new!
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2016, 06:39:10 pm »
Thanks TW, I will consider additional vents; there is already a gap under the door and plenty of air can also escape between the inner pipe flue and casing above the ceiling but a hole near the thermometer sounds like a very good idea. There is no smoke inside whatsoever coming from the heater (well designed) or from above the roof (perfect seal) and a nice wood smell (cedar-pine).
I had plenty of help from the forum with the construction and first made a model with 1" wood sticks before I started the building that helped as lot, keeping the walls and corners vertical and level was the biggest problem with the irregular shaped logs and of course the scribing was not that easy....
I forgot to mention the polyester webbing (black) that is used here to cover thatched roofs, comes in rolls 6 feet wide (green and black) like fish net but a lot stronger and multi-ply that you stretch over the Nipah leaves (roofing) and that gives it that shape.
The American-oriental look of the sauna was done on purpose, my "artistic" contribution.....
Taking sauna baths helps to relieve my rheumatic joints and shoulders and to relax, lost some weight too (27 kg) without any additional methods but it makes my eyes very dry (pink-eye) so cannot do it more than once a week. My wife likes sauna baths too now albeit not longer than 5 minutes at the time, mine are 15 minutes long per stretch.
Frank

Offline Frankw

• I'm new!
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2017, 10:56:43 pm »
Already 2 years and sauna is looking better in the more mature yard; had to fill up some minor gaps in the upper layer/gable (not enough weight/scribing too deep) but otherwise no issues, foundation level, no roof leaks and no termites! Hereby 3 pictures I took today, the large tree above the sauna is a Lomboy, fruits like a very sweet, purple-black cherry.