iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

-Running a dual arch grapple -

Started by BargeMonkey, April 20, 2014, 11:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Got the skidder in the woods and trying to get the hang of it. Has a 120" esco grapple on it. Just wondering if anyone has some tips on what to watch for or what not to do, she seems to grab wood pretty easy but this is my first grapple. She is following a Timbco and im hoping to get 125-150 average trees a day out on a 1/4-1/2 mile skid.

Kemper

Tip #1 if you don't have wood in the grapple make sure it's closed or you could easily get your tires by mistake.

chainsaw

Keep your turn low and close when skidding down hill.low and close will also let you pull a heavier turn with out pulling a wheelie.
Earth first,we`ll log the other planets later

loggah

How is the inside of the grapple jaws? is it smooth or does it still have a good raised edge? lots of time when they get smooth ,they wont hold the wood good. the best thing is to have your bundles the right size , takes a while to figure it out.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

CCC4

Make sure when you grab yer hitch that you always keep the hose box facing away from you...this will change when grabbing left or right hitches. When empty, keep your pincher tips just touching and carry yer grapple low, they can get in your tires...closing them all the way is just as bad, almost touching is where you want to be.

BargeMonkey

The grapple is kinda smooth on the jaw, looking to see what I can weld to give it a sharper grab surface. Trying to get the hang of it, im suprised it isnt as big in the woods as I had figured. This job isnt the best for making tight bunches due to all the small growth and brush. Setting a 30ft bridge across the creek next week and getting into the bigger stuff.

treeslayer2003

BargeMonkey

Ive given up trying to post pictures, I can get them into the gallery but when I go to post it wont take a .jpg format.

beenthere

Bargemonkey
You have one pic in your gallery, placed Apr 10 it looks like.

Once the pic is there, just click on the line below the post window (get there by clicking "modify" in whatever post you want the pic shown) that is the blue hi-lighted "click here to add Photos to post" and the on the top menu select "my gallery". Once there, click on your pic and it will blow up to full size. Then scroll down a page or two for the "Insert image in post" and you should have your pic.

Not sure where you are getting the hang up, but shout out for some help wherever that happens.

bt
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

loggah

I found the best thing to weld onto the jaws is a couple pieces of Re-bar no 6 works well,bend it into the curve and weld both sides in completely, the rebar has a lot of carbon and lasts really well,also the rough surface bites into frozen wood pretty well.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

celliott

If you can get them into your gallery, you should be all good.
Go to your gallery, and on the photo you want to add to a post, click "insert image in post" or copy+paste the wording below.
Don't give up, we like to see pictures!
Worked with the timbco picture you have in your gallery.

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

sawhead21

when turning keep the buts off the grate and out of the tires also. tryto keeps your buts together in the grapple makes life easier. if you pick up a bundle with buts not together you can just losing the graple so the hitch slides and drive in reverse pushing the buts agenst the grate

BargeMonkey

BargeMonkey

BargeMonkey

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

celliott

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

BargeMonkey

Quote from: celliott on April 23, 2014, 08:08:05 PM
8) He got it!

Nice looking TJ!
Thank you. Yeah my internet service is spotty up here, and sat in the sawmill today eating lunch and figured it out. She is a tank, and seems pretty stable. That was one big bag of 100' bills right there, bank pulled me aside and asked me "what the #×% $" are you doing with that much cash.  8)
800.00 in oil and filters to service it, hopefully thats it for a while. Needs a few cylinders packed and a couple pins and bushings in the arch are worn. Other than that she works good.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bobus2003

Whats it have for a grapple? I ran a TJ 450 for a couple years with a Esco grapple.. I didnt really like the machine (Deere Guy) and really hated the Esco grapple (had one on the 518 also) they are just hard to keep wood in. Had a JD 748 with an Esco, boss couldn't find a JD Box Style grapple quick enough, he didn't even put it in the woods till the new grapple was on.

BargeMonkey

120" esco. Beats pulling cable all day. Going to weld rebar in the grapple this weekend. Doesnt seem to bad dropping trees, just trying to figure out making piles the right size now.

loggah

After a couple weeks you will get it down pat. ;D That style Esco is the same as my M-36 grapple i had on my franklin, they should hold the wood fine. I believe its rated for 12 1/2 cubic feet of wood in the bundle. They do beat the hell out of pulling cable. When your moving the machine with the grapple empty, the box beam should be level and the grapple open so the tines are just barely overlapping,that will keep the swinging down to a minimum. Don

nk14zp

The first thing to do is get the feller buncher operator to put up the right size bunches.  After that it's easy.  Well it was for me.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Thank You Sponsors!