iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar market

Started by Woodboogah, April 20, 2014, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

Is there any market for poplar?  I am cutting a lot of big 18"+ and currently sticking it in the pulp pile.  I am in southern NH.  Probably have another 5mbf to cut.  Not top much but I am curious.  I have looked around, havent made any phone calls yet.  I have always pulped it. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

chester_tree _farmah

Seems to be really regional but sounds like u have a market down there. I was looking this fall and happened upon this on the net. http://northeasttimberexchange.com/?page_id=4
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

barbender

Are you referring to poplar as in aspen, or yellow or tulip poplar? It's easy around here as we only have aspen, but it seems out east you have both. I've seen a lot of confusion on here an this issue.
Too many irons in the fire

tj240

try b&b forest product in cairo ny[catskills] or the common wealth in whitehall ny
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

luvmexfood

True yellow poplar brings 45 cents a board ft down here for #2 grade & 37 cents for #3 grade.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

chester_tree _farmah

It is really big and small tooth aspen and a little balm of gilead up here. Used to be no market years ago. Now it is a major source of income in these parts. And it grows fast as heck. Another local name is popple. Funny how things get regional names. Another good example of regional name for a species is Tamarack aka Larch.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

barbender

I thought you Maine guys called tamarack "Hackamatack" ;) We call Aspen "Popple" up here too, I saw somewhere it is the German name for Cottonwood.
Too many irons in the fire

Woodboogah

It's big tooth and trembling aspen.  Thanks for the timber exchange link I will give them a ring. 

chester_tree _farmah

Yup. Trembling. Doh and welcome.

Yup I have heard it called Hackmatack too.... we shoot paaaahtridge too but they really aren't. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

chester_tree _farmah

And if u can't handle the cold you are being spleeny.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Timbercruiser

Hey is there any Vaneer logs in that wood your cutting ?  I was at a wood yard at home in Ontario in early new year . A truck was loading up aspen Vaneer to haul all the way to Vermont USA from home.  The guy would pay $104 a chrod at his yard but when I ask some old timers they said years ago was over $400 a chord.  Not sure where we was hualing too but mabe i could find out . Take care  :)

coxy

Quote from: Timbercruiser on April 20, 2014, 03:42:18 PM
Hey is there any Vaneer logs in that wood your cutting ?  I was at a wood yard at home in Ontario in early new year . A truck was loading up aspen Vaneer to haul all the way to Vermont USA from home.  The guy would pay $104 a chrod at his yard but when I ask some old timers they said years ago was over $400 a chord.  Not sure where we was hualing too but mabe i could find out . Take care  :)
it my be Newport vt

Woodboogah

They are still standing so I am not sure what the inside is like, I would guess its sound and has at least 3 clear sides.  I am having a hard time getting in gear this morning (working at home, to many distractions)  I will make some phone calls.  Thanks again!

SwampDonkey

I've not seen $400 veneer aspen, but we had $140 veneer and the logs only had to be sound, didn't matter about knots. They even had a local wood yard where they would accumulate it and haul it onto the mill at their cost. But at the time pulp was a good price and not many wanted to separate it for peanuts on the difference. The plant burned down before the economic melt down.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

celliott

Quoteit my be Newport vt

Columbia Forest Products, in Newport VT.
They do alot of hardwood veneer, plywood type products.

http://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/

http://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/us/manufacturing-locations/
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

chester_tree _farmah

Very cool. I read an article in Northern Woodlands magazine on the day in the life of one of their buyers.  They will come to you and grade and scale right on your landing so u know up front what u r getting. I dream about selling a truck load of select rock maple veneer all the time. Hmmmm 4000bf @ 1400 per thousand.....
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Corley5

Back in the day there was sugar maple that brought six dollars a board foot in the log.  That was in the mid to late 90s.  We sold to Kretz, Columbia and Timber Products.  Haven't had a good veneer sale since.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

We have a Columbia mill in Presque Isle, Maine. But they have never bought aspen. They buy birch and hard maple. In the melt down, I don't think they were buying at all. I don't see them any longer on the price bulletin.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chester_tree _farmah

Is that ysc board Swamp donkey?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

SwampDonkey

That's the one I look at price bulletins on because they are online. But my local board here is CV in Florenceville, which is a lot closer to Presque Isle. They have nothing online, except a broken website that has not posted price bulletins in years.

chester_tree _farmah

I do too. Chester Forest products is in there. Not that hemlock varies much but good to check and make sure u are not getting screwed locally. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

SwampDonkey

The board contracts may fetch more or less in price because of volumes. But the price is never written in stone, it can change week to week in my experience.

chester_tree _farmah

Some mills I see in there are awful particular for their tree length.  Holy cow it's like doing surgery.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

SwampDonkey

Yes, some are very fussy and a bunch fickle to.  ;D

chep

if it is clear, check Rutland plywood. They buy popple veneer.

we send loads of 'groundwood' to shelburne. This is a different sort from just hardwood pulp. If the trees are mostly sound and straight then def. sort them out. The loads of just Popple 'groundwood' are worth way more than mixing it in with the rest of the pulp. Call them for specs.

Thank You Sponsors!