iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pre-Mixed Fuel vs. Mixing It Yourself + Trimmer Saw Blade

Started by GuyInHuntsville, April 19, 2014, 09:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyInHuntsville

I just bought a Husqvarna brushcutter (345FR) and also 3 cans of the pre-mixed 50:1 fuel in order to extend the warranty by more 2 years and was wondering if anyone would discourage me from just using regular gas and mixing in the 2 cycle oil myself? The pre-mixed fuel was about $8 a quart.

I bought this tool for using it with the saw blade (24 teeth I'm guessing) it came with for cutting down small trees and brush and I'm expecting to go through a lot of fuel...Any advice too for using a saw blade like this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!!

thecfarm

How much you using the brushcutter?
I use the highest grade of gas that I can get at my local gas station in all my small motors.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treeslayer2003

well, I use regular with stihl orange bottle at 40-1 for over 20 years with no trouble, but my saws don't sit. if you do this make sore to drain out the fuel if its gonna sit around a while or the ethanol will eat up the lines.

GuyInHuntsville

thecfarm, I expect to be using it for hours on end...Probably 6 hours a day on the weekends, maybe even more, pretty much continuously.
So you use super unleaded and mix your own fuel? My cutter is 50:1 but should I add a little extra oil to the gas? I'd like this tool to last a long time...Pretty expensive for me.

GuyInHuntsville

treeslayer, thanks....Yes, I found that out the hard way with my lawn equip.

thecfarm

I run 40:1 in my Husky 372,my efco saw and my Echo trimmer to add some fuel to the fire.  ;D Yes,I mix my own oil. I myself would run 40:1 and think nothing of it. But it should be tuned to that mix too.  Some will agree some won't. I have no idea what my mix would do for a warranty issue. I use the small bottles mix from Husky.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GuyInHuntsville

thecfarm, does the 40:1 mean there's more oil in the gas vs. the 50:1 (less oil)?
Will you tell me how to mix it to come out 40:1? How many 1 gallon size bottles of oil should I add to 5 gallons of gas? Thanks!!

thecfarm

There is less gas in the mix. If buying the small bottles,it should be on the back. With my Husky mix I use 4 gallons of gas to one bottle,that would be 40:1. If I put in 5 gallons of gas that would be 50:1. I'm am not saying to do the above,but it's what I do. I don't want you to have trouble with your saw.

GuyInHuntsville

thecfarm, thanks...I'll just add an ounce or 2 to my 5 gallon 50:1 mix. That way I won't have to have it tuned.

trapper

Instead of 5 gal I would mix 2 1/2 gal at a time to keep the mix fresher unless you are using it full time on a daily basis.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Southside

I run 32:1 in my Husky and it does just fine, personally I use 87 octane gas and Ithaca boat 2cycle oil I buy in gallon jugs, mix 1.5 gal at a time, no smoking issues or anything like that, the extra oil gives me peace of mind. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GuyInHuntsville

Thanks trapper and Southside Logger.

This is what I'll be running by the way:

pine

Use whatever mix ratio that the manufacturer says to.  They built it and they know what it is spec'ed for.

I would guess that Husky just like other suppliers of 2 cycle oil, sell the bottles sized for 1 gal/2 gal/2.5 gal/and 5 gal mix amounts.  Take the bottle and combine it with whatever amount of gas that it is designed for.  There are measuring cups that are not only labeled with ounce markings but also labeled with the desired ratio for final quantity that you can use.  I buy my oil in gallon containers so I have to measure it.  I go through a lot of oil and fuel mix. 

As you are a newbie to the 2 cycle saw equipment world and for simplicity I would just go with the pre-measured bottle sizes.  They tend to come in a 6-pack of the oil bottles.

For 50:1 use 2.56 oz with 1 gallon fuel;
For 40:1 use 3.2 oz with 1 gallon fuel;
1 gal is 128 oz  divide the number of ounces of total fuel by the ratio that you want and the result is the ounces of oil.
128(number of gal desired)/mix ratio = ounces of oil to use   128(5)/50 = 12.8 oz oil  5 gal of mix at 50:1 ratio

I use ethanol free fuel because I like it better.  Ethanol laced fuel can be used but use it within 2 weeks max (IMO).  There are several web sites that you can find ethanol free fuel with.  I like pure-gas.org but there are others that work just fine.  Stihl recommends 89 octane minimum. Husqvarna recommends 87 octane minimum

As an aside I was at my dealer the other day and asked "What happened to that piston/cylinder" that they had on display?  They told me it was from a customer that told them he always added a little more oil to his mix to ensure that there was enough oil in it.  They had warned him not to overdo it but he ignored them and it ruined the saw.  The exact ratio was not known but it can harm if the ratio is too much.  The same dealer said that the manufacturer who recommends 50:1 had actually done a test and used 80:1 ratio for a 1000 hour test and there was no damage to the saw.  Even so the company still recommends 50:1 for users.

Dave Shepard

I'm in the 50:1 camp myself. I buy the highest octane at the pump and use Stihl HP Ultra synthetic mix. Because there is only one hose and three grades of gas, at least around here, I pump a gallon into the Jeep first to clear any ethanol 87 or 89 from the hose, then I fill my mix gas can. Whatever ratio you pick, tune it for that and stick with it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

chester_tree _farmah

Sweet. I want one. Great for pre commercial thinning.

I buy the small one gallon size husky oil for my 254xp if I am not going to be cutting a lot. Mixed at 50:1. Always super but my manual calls for it. I bought the saw new around 1986 and have not had to touch the motor. Still screams. I kind of wish it would die so I could justify a new 562xp.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

GuyInHuntsville

Thanks pine! That is some good info. Also, you're right about me being new to this kind of tool or even chainsaws....I've always used 2 cycle lawn equipment but never cared very much about maintianing them (I need to change that). This tool was $800 and I want to do everything right by it.

Dave Shepard, thanks...Are you saying there isn't any ethenol in the 92 or 93 octane gas at gas stations?

Thanks everyone for all your responses!!

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

GuyInHuntsville

"Sweet. I want one."

hahaha...That's what I said when I first saw it!...I even bought larger blades for it too with carbide teeth. It's heavy but it came with a really nice body harness. I know this tool is dangerous but I'll break myself in gently with it!

trapper

Read the label on the pump.  Not all premiums are ethanol free. Like Dave Shepard I also pump some gas in my truck before filling the can.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

GuyInHuntsville

Thanks trapper for answering that...I'll check around my area to see if there's any gas stations that have ethenol free premium gas.

SwampDonkey

There's not many pre-commercial thinners on here, but I'm one of them.  ;D

However I do not use Husky brush saws, I use Stihl. I have had this current one since 1997 and thin 75-100 acres of ground a year.  :) Yes I have put new seals and bearings in myself in 2010. I'm the only one that touches my saws. ;)

I of course use a lot of gas, but I always run the mid grade (no ethanol) and Stihl mix 50:1. It has stabilizer in it and I never dump gas. She all burns. ;D I use a 5 gallon (25 l jug) and a 500 ml bottle of oil. I would never buy pre-mix, that's a gimmick to part with extra dollars. Never see it sold that way here.

I was wondering how you get 2 years warrantee on your saw? You can only get 1 year on any brand saw up here. At one time we could only get 90 days as a thinner, home back yard users could get the year. But that changed when Echo introduced their saw and gave a year on pro use.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GuyInHuntsville

SwampDonkey, the Stihl looked real good but cost a lot more so I just chose this one. It comes with a 2 year warranty as standard and if you buy the 3 can of pre-mixed oil they extend it to 4 years...Maybe it's a gimmick and Husky's tough on getting warranty work done and they know it and I don't...Just speculating. The dealer said they're good about honoring warranty claims. Here's a link to Husky's warranty plan: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/support/extended-warranty-program/

Thanks!!

Dave Shepard

Around here, the mid grade gas is a mix of premium and regular, so you will have ethanol in the mid-grade, which is what the manufacturers recommend. I bought an alcohol tester from Bailey's years ago, although all you really need is a graduated cylinder, or even a glass jar with markings on it. :D I tested the high grade gas and it was free of ethanol. Maybe that has changed, but I don't have trouble with my gas, and I can keep it around for a long time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Ethanol is a new fad up here, but I read on the refinery site that ethanol is only blended in regular. The refineries are only obligated to add it by volume in Canada, not by grade. Our Ultramar stations around my area have none at all in any grade. I always used mid grade for years before the ethanol graze and continue to.

The extended warranty must be a US thing, and don't mention using the saw professionally or that will likely change things. I see where it says so on that page.

What the heck can 3 bottles of manufacturer's pre-mix do to extend the saw's life? Not much. I bet they are pricey to.

And where to they list the limitations? That's the $1350 question.  Is your use agriculturally related, like a tree farm? You'll be, as they say, SOOL. ;D

Ethanol Blending in regular 87 octane
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pine

I went to see what I could find about the differences between Canada and US extended warranty rules were.

Taken from the Stihl USA warranty site  You can get the 2 yr from buying a 6 pack of HP Ultra oil as well as the MotoMix.

Double limited warranty protection applies to STIHL gasoline-powered products purchased for personal non-income producing, family and household purposes only. At the time of your equipment purchase, simply purchase six bottles of STIHL HP Ultra engine oil or six cans of STIHL MotoMix® pre-mixed fuel to qualify for double the limited warranty coverage. STIHL HP Ultra provides the best engine oil for improved engine longevity. *Double limited warranty protection applies to STIHL gasoline-powered products purchased and registered for personal non-income producing, family and household purposes only.

From the Stihl Canada Site
The following models are not eligible for the 2 year extended warranty (MS 201, MS 440, MS 441, MS 460, MS 461, MS 660, MS 661, MS 880, GS 461 and all TS models)
The following models are not eligible for the 2 year extended warranty (FS 350 - FS 560)
2 year Warranty valid with six pack oil, 3 cans of MotoMix® or 1 can of 4L MotoMix® purchase
(but not for the above mentioned models)
Just as in the US the extended warranty does not apply to professional use, only for homeowner use.

Of course you have a Husky not a Stihl and I was not able to find the Husky rules as easily.

Thank You Sponsors!