iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is the smallest skidder?

Started by ozarkgem, April 19, 2014, 05:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

beemer one of the brochures is the one you are talking about, a very unique machine indeed. The model MB 411 spes are.
Ground clearance 23''
width                  74''
height                 92''
total weight        6,660lbs

Powered by a Mercedes-Benz 4 cyl diesel OM 636 107 CU. IN. 38HP at 2,750 RPM
Transmision Mercedes Benz all- syncromesh 4 forward and 4 reverse

Axles 4- Wheel drive with high-built planitary-type axles at front and rear: Front axle drive can be switched on and off during operation. Differential lock in both axles
gearmatic model 9 winch
these are just some of the specs, seems to be a very advanced little machine for its time period hope you enjoy! ;D
Precision Firewood & Logging

mad murdock

That Gafner MB411 sounds a lot similar to the size of the Garrett model 10, except the inch is larger. The model 10 I think had an 8A.  Last guy could always do like Gafner did, pick a favorite tractor and modify it into a skidder. You cold save some $$ and buy a 2wd tractor, since you would probably be making the rear tires of the tractor, the front tires of a skidder.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

I actually just found a guy that has the model 4000ms right in Brooklyn ct! Bought it locally a few years ago and uses it to pull firewood on occasion. Can't believe theirs one this close to me.

Reddog

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 20, 2014, 01:51:10 PM
I have an issue of Sawmill and Woodlot that has a couple of Holder tractor in it with Farmi type winches. They would be a great step in between a tractor and skidder. They had three point hitch and FELs.

Seeing the EU and UK use the Articulated Orchard tractors with a 3 point skidwinch or forwarder trailer for thinning and small site work also.
Also a few of the orchard tractors have reversible operators stations.

But I would guess the 60+ hp Articulated orchard tractor with a cab to be $50K or more.

logman81

After talking with the guy that has the mini skidder he is think about getting something a little bigger and selling the mini. I told him I'd be interested in it if he does. I'd like to have it to do small jobs and TSI work. I could haul it with my one ton pickup and trailer, no trucking cost!

BEEMERS

If you get it..please post start to finish in photos...maybe Im a little more into it than most....but I do have IRON MULE belt buckle!!

logman81

Absolutely Beemer I'm going to do my best to get it. He's going to think about it for a bit. He's looking for a 440 size machine. Only does firewood so the machine isn't worked hard. I like these small skidders their so handy. If I get it I'll restore it and used it on small jobs pulling firewood and small logs and use the tj on larger lots when needed.

barbender

I think you could almost haul it in the back of a one ton pickup ;D
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

No it's a little bigger then that, weighs a little over 10,000 lbs and is 5ft wide and 15ft long. But I could move it with my pick and trailer pretty easy.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

logman81

logman81

Here's a few pictures he sent to me of the gafner skidder nice little skidder!

Maine logger88

That's cool! Is that a #9 winch? What's it have for a motor?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

chester_tree _farmah

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

logman81

It's suppose to have a 12,000lb line pull tug master winch I'm not sure if that's what it has. Doesn't look to be a gearmatic. It has a 3 cyl Perkins diesel. Your welcome these rare machine need to be preserved and saved I think.

Maine logger88

That must be a similar motor to what a 135 Massey has
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mad murdock

The small 'mules were built on the Massey tractor. Gafner just took the front end off and put the back axles on. We had a 4501 forwarder which had the 3 cyl Perkins. Very easy on fuel. Great machines.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

John Woodworth

Barbender the Mountain logger your talking about is the Mdl. T Mountain Logger, a real cute little skidder, a little bigger than the Garrett 10 but built a lot huskier.
The Garrett 10 and 15 are not about the same size the 10 is about 2/3 the size of the 15, the early 15's used the same mdl 8 Gearmatic, later mdl 9 really not that much diffrence.
Antoher thing i'll through in I just Picked up a complete 172 Ford Industrial with Trans, hasent been ran for a while so when I see what shape it's in will probably be for sale.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

logman81

Yes I think the gafner skidders also used some of the Massey parts.

BEEMERS

The first mules were built on a massey ferguson tractor.The later mules were on a Ford.Mines a ford.Its a 4501 originally a ford 3 cyl. but later repowered with a 4 cylinder.later when they bought out Pettibone they gained the means to build it all in house.Then they got bought by Valmet around 1989.
Id love to get that little skidder,it looks awesome.

logman81

Hay beemers that's some good info! I'm going to do everything in my power to get that skidder it's the perfect little firewood skidder!

BEEMERS

There are some very old Iron Mule brochures on Ebay right now...the Forwarders..They are pretty neat also.My photos show the later Ford based machine....and they have they last incarnation of the mule for sale after they bought out Pettibone and made their own machine with neither ford Nor Massey.  Its a nice one for $37,500
Its the big one a 5510. I just typed in..Iron Mule.

Thank You Sponsors!