iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

breaking band blades

Started by ammonbarnes, April 19, 2014, 12:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ammonbarnes

Recently I have been breaking blades on my logmaster lm4 of the last 5blades 4 have broke before they even started to dull. So I guess I am asking if anyone has had similar problems or if I just got a superior pack of blades

Dan_Shade

welcome to the forum, Ammon.

a few things that could cause problems:
1. band wheel out of round
2. blade guide making band work harden.
3. using blade too long
4.bad blade welds

I'm sure others will chime in.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

kelLOGg

5. Too much band tension. I reduced the tension on my bands just to the point of flutter onset. Made a big difference: now when a band breaks I find many small gullet cracks suggesting so many trips around the wheels have flexed the band to the point of breaking.

6. Remove drive belt tension when returning from the cut will reduce trips around the wheels. (I'm still working on this one. My belt hops off the wheel about 1 out of 5 times when I do this because I have a belt tensioner - not a clutch.)

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

ladylake

Worn belts would break them the fastest but I think you have steel wheels.
Guide wheel flange too close behind the band the band will break them fast also, for sure at higher feed rates. I run 1/4 behind as Cooks recommends.
Make sure your tracking is right, with the blade tensioned and the guide roller not touching the blade should track in the same place when turned forward or backwards. 
It could be a bad batch of blades, I had one box where every one broke after the first sharpening, it was the blades as the next box worked fine.   
                                                       Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

TimGA

All of the above.
    Did something happen, slab hit guide wheel, bad blade break just prior to this rash of blades breaking?
    You stated blades not dull. How long actually run?  If these are new blades sounds like maybe bad batch, if sharpened maybe run to long before sharpening.
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

bandmiller2

Before I did anything drastic I would try a different brand or lot of bands. Sounds like a problem with the bands. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

I'd also check how far the flange is behind the band as if too close that will break bands fast when sawing at a good feed rate.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

drobertson

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 19, 2014, 06:41:41 AM
Before I did anything drastic I would try a different brand or lot of bands. Sounds like a problem with the bands. Frank C.
This is what I am thinking as well,  it was several years ago, but I had 5 of 12 new blades go at around 300 bdft.
Have not had this problem since.  With the exception of the occasional breakage that occurs from time to time,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ammonbarnes.  How long have you been sawing with that Logmaster?  Just wondering if this breaking is a recent occurrence or ongoing?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ammonbarnes

Thanks I been running my logmaster for about 2 years before that I ran a little mizer and never broke a blade so Its little different having them pop I did order a new pack of blades from another company so I will check the guide rollers and bandwheel alignment but I am pretty sure they are ok thanks again

Thank You Sponsors!