iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husqy 353 20" bar, apparent spec change, can I use my old chain?

Started by LeeK, April 18, 2014, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeK

My husqy 353 needs a new 20" bar.  I just went to the Agway and took note that the husqvarna brand 20" bar now has the following specs: .325, .50, 80 links.  My old bar had 78 links.   The question is, should I buy the new 80-link bar and would my 78 link chain fit on it or can I find a bar that takes my old 78-link chain?  Whew.  If I bite the bullet and buy a new bar which won't take any of my old chains, should I take the opportunity to drop to 18", since I'm forced to buy new chain anyways? 
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 353, ported, xp top
2-Way Honda-Powered Splitter
'94 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4, 8' bed, inspected

webgal

Don't worry, you aren't locked in to the new drive link demands only because you want a 20" bar. Baileys and other vendors offer 20" bars that still take the 78dl. No need to buy an 80dl bar and dump your old chains.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

old guy

You could buy an 18" bar and shorten your chains to fit it, 20" is a smidge long for a 50cc anyway.

John

LeeK

I decided to buy an 18" husqy bar and one new 18" chain to get me through tomorrow.  I'll check bailey's for the 78 dl bar.  I've liked the 20" for limbing because I don't have to bend over so much, but I always wondered if pulling 20" of chain was a strain on the 353.  Now I get to try the 18". When I bought it, 20" was listed as within spec, but I didn't know much when I bought it.
Husqvarna 550xp

webgal

It's tough getting in a pinch  :D and having to have a new bar without your preferred specs. As you are doing now, you can always use your new 80dl bar for back up and when you have time to pick up the 78DL 20". Most local dealers can't begin to get into the selection that is available online these days.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

SawTroll

Quote from: LeeK on April 18, 2014, 01:49:35 PM
My husqy 353 needs a new 20" bar.  I just went to the Agway and took note that the husqvarna brand 20" bar now has the following specs: .325, .50, 80 links.  My old bar had 78 links.   The question is, should I buy the new 80-link bar and would my 78 link chain fit on it or can I find a bar that takes my old 78-link chain?  Whew.  If I bite the bullet and buy a new bar which won't take any of my old chains, should I take the opportunity to drop to 18", since I'm forced to buy new chain anyways?

Husky has changed the specs from 78 to 80dl for the 20" small mount .325 bars, and lengthened the bars accordingly, to make them closer to the called 20" length.

You can not use 78dl chain on those 80dl bars.

The 353 will be a better saw with an 18" bar, and 16" is even better!  ;)
Information collector.

kenskip1

With a 20 inch bar on that saw, something that has not been mentioned is the chain will be starving for oil.Unless someone  has a better suggestion I would limit the bar to 18 inches.Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

LeeK

OK, I guess I will buy spare chain(s) and stick with the 18" rig, seems to make sense.  I guess I should buy another saw, too, something bigger.  What should be the 2nd saw?
Husqvarna 550xp

SawTroll

Quote from: LeeK on April 22, 2014, 03:06:30 PM
OK, I guess I will buy spare chain(s) and stick with the 18" rig, seems to make sense.  I guess I should buy another saw, too, something bigger.  What should be the 2nd saw?

562xp - or go streight for a 70cc saw. It really depends on your needs.  :)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: kenskip1 on April 20, 2014, 08:10:02 PM
With a 20 inch bar on that saw, something that has not been mentioned is the chain will be starving for oil.Unless someone  has a better suggestion I would limit the bar to 18 inches.Ken

Ken the 353 would oil the 20" fine.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

celliott

Well if you really WANT a second saw....
You already have a good 50cc saw. I'd skip over a 60cc class saw and go right to a 70cc class. I have a 357xp and find myself running my 372 more often, the difference in weight VS power is negligible to ME. I'm actually considering selling my 357 and getting a good solid 50cc saw just to have a smaller, lighter saw.

That's just my opinion. Second saw, I'd get a 372xp if you want to stay with the Husqvarna brand Will run a 20" bar with authority, or longer if you choose.

With that being said, I haven't run a 562xp, although I'd like to, and compare it to my 357xp...
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

HolmenTree

My 562XP-18" is in a class of it's own for a 60cc, my little used [semi retired] 2006 372XP joins my 395XP with 24" and 36" bars.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

celliott

Quote from: HolmenTree on April 23, 2014, 08:46:02 PM
My 562XP-18" is in a class of it's own for a 60cc

So I've heard....
Really want to run one, but haven't had the opportunity. Yet.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

John Mc

Lee -

I guess you've already got your new bar and chain, but if you want to try my Jonsered 2152 w/16 bar, you are welcome to. It's basically the twin sister to your 353.  I like the balance, and the 16" bar seems well suited to the power of the saw for the type of cutting you and I do.

I also have a 357XP (also 16" bar, but this one wears a 3/8" pitch chain) you can try.  If this one were to die, I'd look hard at a Husky 562XP - though the cost is hard to justify for the amount of cutting I've been doing recently. IMO, anything bigger is just more weight to carry around for the size trees we are cutting.

For the others on here, Lee and I are co-owners (along with some other families in our area) of some woodland a few miles from each of our houses..  We cut mainly for firewood for personal use, and occasionally make a group effort of it with a few of the other co-owners. I'd guess the bulk of what we cut is under 12" diameter (a good bit of that is well under 12"), though we occasionally cut something bigger. (Lee, how often have you come close to using all of your 20" bar? I've got one for my 357XP that still looks brand new - on the rare occasions where it would make a difference, it's just not been worth swapping out bars.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

LeeK

John is right, the Hq 353 is a great model for the firewood cutting we are doing, as is its cousin the Jd 2152.  That said, I feel the need for a 2nd saw so I can keep working if saw#1 lunches out.  The previous advice by Holmentree to jump to the 70-class got me sweating, heartrate up, pupils dilating, I thinking of that bigass trunk lying horizontal and me with a 372 chuffing in my hands.  Whoa.  Gotta take a break.  Gotta catch my breath.
Husqvarna 550xp

Thank You Sponsors!