iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favoring White Oak regeneration

Started by Farmer Jim, April 17, 2014, 04:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Jim

What size clearing around mature White Oaks would boost regeneration chances? The info I've read is saying they are shade intolerant. Thank you, Jim
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

curdog

I took a hardwood class with the feds a few months back, and they were saying opening up the canopy between 30-40%. Any less and you would not get enough light hitting the forest floor and anymore would promote more shade intolerant species. It makes since to me. Some of the best oak regen we have is in loblolly stands that have been thinned. Fourth row thinning gives about the optimal sunlight for oaks. You will be better off to allow the oak regen to get a couple feet tall before releasing them (3-4 feet).

Silvanus

To encourage oak regeneration without also encouraging competition, you probably want to thin from below.  Reduce the low shade from understory trees and shade tolerant saplings.  Maintain an oak canopy to provide a seed source.  The tough part in a lot of areas is keeping the deer off your oak regeneration.  So its not so much creating gaps initially, that comes later, but, reducing competition and increasing light infiltration throughout.
"There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot."  -AL

Bushwhacker14

Are you guys seeing a shortage of white oak suitable for Bourbon barrels in Kentucky, Missouri, etc.?  ???

Farmer Jim

Thanks for the help. We don't have a lot of white oak, but there are a few spots I can implement this advice.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

thecfarm

Bushwhacker14,welcome to the forum. What is your interest with wood?  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!