iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things That I have Learned Sawmilling

Started by WDH, April 16, 2014, 12:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I was for checking air dried boards, but with the kiln, I need to use the hammer attachment to get longer pins an inch into the lumber.  Can't do that with the pinless. 

I am bi-metered. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

backwoods sawyer

When worked in production mill we used wagner pin style with a slide hammer in the kilns and the wagner pinless to check random boards on the outfeed of the planner, and random test units, we also had an inline mioster meter with a drop out reject line as well.
The wagner pinless was by far the fastet and easiest to use. it gives a reading as soon as it is set down on a board and can take readings on 100 boards in two min. Took longer to do the paperwork on the test boards then to do the test.
Where the pin style took considerably longer to check a track full coming out of the kiln, we took four readings per unit, four units per cart, and twenty carts long, we had seven double track kilns side by side with three more double track kilns to handle the over run from these. On a hot summer day pulling and checking a freshly pulled kiln charge was a job you was glad to finish up and go to the office with ac to take care of the paperwork.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

OneWithWood

The Lignomat D is a pinless meter for 8/4 material.  I have one and use it for quick checks on stored material.  I have both a Delmorst R2000 with a slide hammer and a Delmhorst J2000.  They all get used.  Guess that makes me tri-metered...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

OWW,

I always knew that there was something unusual about you  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Thanks WDH. I almost ordered a $400 wagner pinless. I found a j2000 on craigslist and ordered the slide hammer to go with it.  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hackberry jake

Darn... I thought the j2000x was just a j2000 with a slide hammer. The range on the "x" is higher. It goes from 6-60% where the regular one goes from 6-40%. Oh well. I'm sure it'll be heads and tails above el cheapo POS.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Yep, the X version has a greater range and is well suited for use in a kiln situation.  A number of Forum members have the J-2000.  It will do nicely. 

Thank You Sponsors!