iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portage & Main or Crown Royal

Started by blczech, April 15, 2014, 08:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blczech

I have been doing a fair amount of reach on gasification stoves. Trying to figure out which brand would be the best. The Crown Royal is 409 stainless, not sure if that is a pro or a con. Lookingfor any good info and any experince with hoaving them

sawguy21

For a moment I thought we were discussing whiskey. :D Welcome.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

boilerman101

I've been burning a Central Boiler Eclassic 2400 since 2010. Been a great furnace and have had no issues. Very easy on wood. They have led the way in OWF gassifiers. You might want to check out this video and consider one of these as well.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/rwL01iW36MA?rel=0&modestbranding=1&autoplay=1

Roger2561

Like Boilerman101, I too have the Central Boiler OWB.  Mine is the E-Classic 1400.  This is my 3rd season heating with it and I've been very happy with the way it operates.  I'm heating 3000sqft and my domestic hot-water using about around 7 to 7 1/2 cord of wood.  The past couple of years due to the temperatures being on the warm side I used 6 to 6 1/2 cord of wood.  I keep my home at 70 degrees 24/7.  The only room that's kept cooler is my bedroom, 70 degrees is too hot to sleep.  I put wood in it every 12 hours.  I have never filled the firebox completely full even with the brutal weather we experienced this year.  I hope this helps and good luck with your search.  Roger     
Roger

gspren

I like my P&M but it isn't a gasser. Centrals and P&M gassers seem to get good reviews while I haven't heard much about Crown Royal. As to the stainless it depends on design, stainless will tend to move and buckle more during temperature changes which is more stressful to the welds.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Corley5

I don't know anything about P&M but had a Crown Royal.  Given the choice I'd go with the P&M.  There's a thread here somewhere about it.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

LittleJohn

Had the same thought at first
Quote from: sawguy21 on April 15, 2014, 11:22:25 PM
For a moment I thought we were discussing whiskey. :D Welcome.

Old man runs a eClassic 2400 gasser - took 20 pulp wood cords this year, heating to 70f (inslab) totalling about 7k sf, in EC Minnesota (top 5 winter for SNOW, Days below zero, ETC).  Hopefully next year is less CORDS.  Only minor issues with OWB, and they were all related back to obvious OPERATER ERROR

blczech

is there any good advise/tips on firing the stove up and size logs, split or not split. Thanks so far for the info

beenthere

Quote from: blczech on April 18, 2014, 11:38:36 AM
is there any good advise/tips on firing the stove up and size logs, split or not split. Thanks so far for the info

Where are you located?  Go to profile and fill in some info for us, as it will help respond to questions. ;)

Which stove ?  Or just any stove in general? 

And what woods do you have available? And will your firewood be seasoned, and for what period of time seasoning?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gearbox

I have a older Crown Royal 7300 and have had very few issues . I will say that there support at the factory has been top notch .
Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Brleclaire

When my dad was looking at OWB's he was deciding whether to get a stainless or not. My brother who is metallurgical engineer said not to because you will get cracking at the weld joints after awhile due to the thermal expansion and contraction and went into a big long(one sided) conversation about the crystalline structure of different metal, my dad just stood shaking his head yes cause he didn't clue what all them big words meant. He also said that the stainless is a poorer conducter of heat then regular metal.  We know a couple of people that have bought stainless OWB's  and sure enough after a couple of heating seasons the welds started to weep from small cracks. So if given the choice I would stay away from the stainless steel boilers.

thecfarm

There is a thread somewhere on here on all the SS and boiler steel Debate,which is also as good as the Blade Lube Debate and the Oil Debate too. :D Lots of options and opinions and diffeant ways of doing something.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

I have taken a few courses in metallurgy but do not claim to be a metallurgist. Stainless is a poor conductor of heat but it will still make the water hot, the problem is that the areas where the fire heats the most won't conduct the heat to the sides, the hot spots expand more than the surrounding areas and you get cracks UNLESS the design allows for it. The perfect solution would be stainless clad with copper like a frying pan, the copper spreads the heat. Clad with a nice thick layer of gold would also work.  ;D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!