iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lt 40 horsepower/ insurance question???

Started by reswire, April 15, 2014, 07:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Quote from: LittleJohn on April 16, 2014, 11:03:39 AM
OK I feel like I have to chime in; or should I say I am ashamed of what the old man is running an old WM LT40G18  :o -> wait for it, yes it has a 18HP Kohler Engine.

The LT40G18 is what my FIL (SAGRAP here on the FF) has, bought it new in 1992.

Works fine, however it is slower than my mill, but it'll cut right along with the best of them albeit a little slower!

Quote from: ammonbarnes on April 16, 2014, 11:07:45 AM
I have a logmaster lm4 with a 51 hp diesel I can cut anything but I had a guy stop and he was admiring that I could cut cottonwood wet or dry as he had an lt 40 and he said his mill couldn't handle cottonwood but i have never used a lt 40 so that's all by hearsay my two cents and that's probably all its worth is go big as you can go

I don't understand why he couldn't cut the Cottonwood, I've cut Poplar/Cottonwood hybrid on my mill with absolutely no issues!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Yes cottonwood cut easy either wet or dry, if he has trouble something is not right with his mill.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

red oaks lumber

the biggest thing about more hp ,you can saw alot faster. time = money
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

36 coupe

If you say sawmill to an insurance agent he will drop you like a hot horse shoe.

thecfarm

Sawmill Insurance??,sponsor on the left. They claim to talk sawmill.
Margeson and associates.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

I am going to post a short video of what a properly aligned mill with the right blades and a couple of ponies can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q_lwnVIuRq0

All I am saying  is  that you are going to have trouble doing this at this speed with a 24hp gas powered mill.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

Do you have electricity at the mill? Where I used to work we bought an electric chainsaw for cutting the slabs and side lumber on long timber jobs. So much easier than trying to start a gas saw all the time, especially when it was 95° and the saw wouldn't start the second time. It would be silly for bucking logs or trimming butt flares, but for boards it saved a lot of time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ozarkgem

Quote from: customsawyer on April 15, 2014, 09:30:33 PM
I am confident that a 55hp LT70 will out saw a mill with a 24hp gas engine. The same way that I am confident the big mill I cut for, with a 9" wide blade and 200 hp elec. will out saw the LT70. The extra hp lets you push larger stiffer blades at higher rates before you start to lose blade speed. The loss of blade speed is where your waves come from.
9 inch wide blade. Got any pics of the mill?

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

customsawyer

Dave I have a great electric chain saw but the rpm's are to slow and it can't keep up with what I am pushing back there.

Ozarkgem I don't have any pics but I can tell you that thing will flat eat a log up in no time at all. It makes me look like I am standing still. It is set up on a 17°angle so you don't have to drag anything back as it all just falls off of the cant. Small things like this just speed up the operation that much faster. I have actually thought about putting in a concrete pad that would have my mill sitting on that same angle going down to a conveyer belt so there is nothing to drag back. Trouble is my pockets are only so deep.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

A WMs band is parallel to the bed, and those 17° mills are 90° to the bed. How would you turn the log? I would think it would fall into the conveyor most times. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Larry

Quote from: reswire on April 15, 2014, 07:58:42 PM
NEW ISSUE!!!!

Woodmizer and another finance company I have spoken with, both require insurance on the balance of a loan (necessary evil).  Any ideas of how to get a decent insurance company or quote?  I haven't called my insurance agent yet,,, I think he'll believe I've flipped insuring a sawmill!!!  What should I expect for an amount per year?

When I think of the price banks and insurance companies extract, that gives me cause for second thoughts.

I might try to work something out where I could somehow finance myself and self insure.  Buy the 29 HP and if lots of work/money comes your way move on up than. 

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

barbender

Nice video, Jake! I would agree with others that there is a limit for each size of band, as far as how fast it can be pushed. We could put an .045" ×1 1/4" on that 200 HP electric mill, and push it to the max and the motor would never bog. The blade wouldn't keep up, though. On the other hand, if you drove that blade with a 4 HP engine you could never achieve a workable feed speed before bogging the engine. Bogging engine=wavy cuts. Actually anything that causes your blade speed to drop causes waves. I have a 40 HP diesel on my mill, with .045" and .055" bands, good and sharp, I can push it until the engine is beginning to bog down a bit, and I'm still cutting straight. If I had more power I think I could feed it faster yet. All of that said, I think anything over 24 horse will cut well with 1 1/4" bands. My first mill had a 13 horse Honda ::) It cut just fine, but I sawed mostly smaller logs with it.
Too many irons in the fire

customsawyer

Dave you are now figuring out why I haven't done it. :D

Barbender I agree with what you said. The point I am trying to make is that the more Hp the more blade you can push. Thus the more production. I run 1¾X55 blades and if I could figure out how to get more blade on my mill I think I could even gain more.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

davey duck

We have a sawmill insurance guy on the sidebar,he is in Horseheads ,NY
David G.Fleming

YoungStump

I could watch those wide band mills scream back and forth all day, visited an local Amish mill recently they run an 8" wide vertical band head rig with a circular mill style handset carriage, let me tell you those guys weren't messing around they kept that thing flying back and forth without missing a beat!
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

MAI

Reswire,
I would be happy to speak with you regarding band saw insurance.  As a sponsor on the Forum, this is one of our specialty lines of insurance.  Check out our new website.

Please let me know if I can help you.

Thank you,

DJ,
Margeson & Associates 

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: customsawyer on April 16, 2014, 08:49:04 PM
I am going to post a short video of what a properly aligned mill with the right blades and a couple of ponies can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q_lwnVIuRq0

All I am saying  is  that you are going to have trouble doing this at this speed with a 24hp gas powered mill.

Well, two helpers, conveyor tables and an edger help a lot too.  ;) I'm more jealous of the two-plane clamp and vertical backstops though... And when I saw JSwigga's TK with the chain turners, I DanG near cried..  :'(

Nice operation you got going there Jake.

Dave Shepard

I like seeing the whole slab or board coming off with the dragback. Here you go guys, get this outta my way, I've got sawing to do!  :D

customsawyer

Just to rock the boat a little. When I first started milling I had a LT40 super with the 42hp Kabota. Then I  bought the LT70 62hp perkapiller to replace it with, I ran the exact same size blades (1½X.055X10°)from one mill to the other for over a year. The only difference  was the size of the blade wheels and the horse power. The LT70 increased production by more than 2000 bf per day.
Food for thought.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ladylake

Lots of other things besides HP increase production, better log handling with the 70, did you have the same help and real good set with the 40.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

ladylake

customsawyer

There was only one other thing that helped in the production and that was a log deck. Everything else like hired help, edger, logs was the same. It was even done on the same site.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ladylake

The log deck, faster hydraulics and chain turner maybe made up about half of the increase, the rest hp.   Steve

customsawyer

The hydraulics on both mills was the same.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!