iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Designing my Blade Guard

Started by Rougespear, April 15, 2014, 11:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

Howdy all,

I'm building a linn-style mill and I'm wondering if there are any opinions on preference with regards to blade guard design.  I just order a sheet of 14ga metal and in a week or so I will begin fabbing guards up.  I prefer the "circular-style" guards like the WM LT-40 for two reasons: (1) I don't have a metal brake, and (2) visual preference.  That being said, I've also seen many companies utilize a "square-styled" guard, that hinge outward individually, left and right.  While the hinge location for the square guards seems logical, the only hinge design I can think of for the circle-style guards is having the whole guard (both sides connected) swing upward for blade changes (I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it).

So does anyone have any suggestions on style and hinge location options?

Thanks all!
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

thecfarm

I have a Thomas,with the square guards. Mine are hinged on the top. There is a T handle that holds them so called closed. Than when I need to open them the T handle is used to hold the guards up and open.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ga Mtn Man

Most Wood-Mizer mills have the squared off design to allow for hinging.  The only ones that don't are the LT40 and LT50. The reason for that is those mills are still using the old two-post design that traps the blade guard behind the post.

I have had mills with and without hinged blade covers and, given a choice, I'd take the hinged ones any day.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

21incher

On my mill they are round and it takes 2 nuts to remove each end. It would be much quicker to change the blade if they were hinged plus you wouldn't have to worry about loosing the nuts in the saw dust.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!