iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watched Salvaged an old pine log and it is sweet!!

Started by golddredger, April 13, 2014, 11:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golddredger

Took a motorcycle ride to the log jam outside town. You can cut fire wood at the spot but there is some big logs left over that the normal chainsaw owner cannot cut. They push them into piles and burn it all off. But the big logs do not burn well and I got there to late this year to check on them before the burn. I arrived and the smoke was still trickling from the piles. I wondered around and most of the logs where destroyed beyond use. Bit I can across this log that refused to burn and just had some light damage on the outside. These are all very old growth logs that have spent the last 40 years under water. No bark just solid tight ring logs. I went back the next weekend that was this last Saturday and loaded the log. The today my son and I cut that bad boy some with the Alaskan mill. It is awesome inside. Purple colors and some blue stain. But clean tight grain wood that is amazing. The saws are 895 Mcculloch for regular cutting and the Super Mcculloch 105 is on the mill frame. Great old saws! Enjoy the pictures. I am cutting them into 3.5" thick counter or bar tops.

Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

backwoods sawyer

Nice find on both the old log and old saws.
Looks like a good team with a fun project.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Those slabs should make someone very happy.  Congrats on the find.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Weekend_Sawyer

Very nice. Those are going to be some impressive table tops.

2 questions, how did you load it on your trailer and what kind of wood is it?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

golddredger

My trailer has a 12,000 pound winch on the tongue. We run that to a snatch block on the side of the trailer opposite the log. then the cable goes out and around the log and back up to the trailer. Parbuckling at it's finest! My son and I haul and load logs like this nearly everyday on this trailer. Works great and we can haul up to 9000 pounds. One of these days I will shoot a vid of us loading. But is it bad luck in my book to film when loading as that normally is when something bad happens. Just bad luck.

As for the wood I am not 100% sure what it is. Fir or pine. No bark so I am clueless. But the area it came from has Poderosa pine, Douglas fir, and a few others. So not sure. It is not as white of wood as my Poderosa logs are when cut. But this one has been soaking in water for years so I cannot be sure the color has not changed.
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I believe you saved that poor 'ol log at just the right time. Good catch.  fishin-smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Nice work!  nice yellow saw,(HP in reserve! 8))  Heck of a good finish too!   The ole parbuckle trick is a bonified go to way of getting them logs on. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!