iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is forestry a viable career for me?

Started by Akdoiron, April 13, 2014, 08:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akdoiron

Hey everyone, got a question here that has been nagging on my mind, I am new here so hopefully this is not a controversial subject and i don't stir up anything bad, but when i was asking questions on job/future forestry related questions and someone told me before i consider a career in the forest service to read this book http://www.amazon.com/The-Tinder-Box-Politically-Destroyed/dp/098277348X/ref=cm_rdp_product

Now I dont have the time currently finishing up high school to read that book, so i looked up a brief synopsis of this, I was and am aware that forest service, blm etc are not like they are when they were created (what gov't agency is) but it got me thinking,

and before i continue let me say my plans are to attend next year a 4-year school with plans towards a major in forestry and minor in either wildland or wildlife mgmt, im an outdoorsman thru-and thru if its not trail work im doing its farming, working with my hands, backpacking, hunting, shooting and hiking, nothing else i love doing better. And office jobs are not for me

anyways as I am new to all this forest service affirmative action stuff, i am obviously aware of how bad politically correct notions get in this country, but strictly speaking, is a career in the forest service still a viable option for someone wholey commited to outdoor work, hard work and fullfilling work, starting from college but hopefully with experience as well. Or has it become to the point where its a quota fill basis with no opportunities for a career that you could favorably retire from?

any advice is needed, whether constructive criticism or helpful tips.

Thanks for your time,

-Adam

Ron Scott

I've read  "The Tinder Box" after spending 38 years in the USFS. It is worth reading by anyone wanting to be employed by the USFS so that they are aware of the cultural change and its history and what brought the change about in the 6th circuit of California. The USFS is a diverse organization without discrimination to sex, age, and race and strives for political correctness. Females are a large part of its work force. 

I wouldn't let "The Tinder Box" scare one away from seeking employment in the USFS if that is their desire.
~Ron

Clark

First off, the FS isn't the only game in town if you want to practice forestry. It is one of many.

I worked several seasonal positions with the FS during college. The final straw was when my boss, the district silviculturist, told me that if he were in my position he wouldn't even consider the FS as a potential long-term employer. I have since worked many contracts for the FS and it has continued to validate his advice. I should write him a letter and thank him.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

BaldBob

As much as you seem to love the outdoors, you should keep in mind that if you go to work as a Forester or wildlife bio for the USFS or BLM, after not too many years most of your time will be spent in administrative tasks rather than in the field. That's less the case in private industry or consulting, but its still likely to be there. I also have a great love of the outdoors, so after some years with first the USFS and then the BLM, I jumped to private industry. Even so, for the last ten years or so of my career managing private timberland, I had to make special effort to schedule some time in the field to remind myself that trees don't grow in computers. I am reminded of the wisdom of a fellow I worked with on a forest inventory crew one summer during college. He greatly loved the outdoors, but had chosen to seek a career in Dentistry. When I asked him about the apparent inconsistency between his career choice and his love of the outdoors, he replied " I want to be sure that I have the time and money to truly enjoy the outdoors."

Ron Wenrich

As stated, its government work isn't the only game in town.  But, being a forester isn't the only game in the wood industry.  Being a good logger gets you in the woods more than a forester will.  Same goes for a forest technician.  The technician often collects forest data for the forester to digest. 

The logger doesn't require a degree, but I would recommend it.  The technician also uses a 2 year degree.  A 4 year degree opens more doors.  Which road you chose is up to you.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

KBforester

I have a friend who graduated 7 years ago, and went right into the FS under a student career employment position. She is stuck in an office. That wasn't the plan. She can't find a position that would get her in the woods.

As a young forester myself, at the moment, I can't really recommend becoming a forester. I love forestry and silviculture, but my outlook on the future of the woods industry is pretty bleak. Maybe it will change, but I don't think things are looking too good right now.
Trees are good.

pappy19

I had a professor in Forestry School at La. Tech, ask our class why we wanted to become foresters. Everyone in that class said it was because they liked to be in the woods and enjoyed the outdoors. The Prof said we better change majors to business or insurance since those were the folks that made enough money to enjoy the outdoors. Some of my classmates finally did change their major to something other than forestry, but I stuck with it. My first forestry position after graduation, was with the US Forest Service. Even back then, in the late 1960's and 1970's, the emphyasis was on "multiple use management" and common sense use of the resources. While it was a gradual change, a big change did occur in the late 80's and more so in the 90's. The wako environmental groups stopped every timber sale in the US on public lands, regardless of the need to thin and harvest. It all came back to haunt the public when we have such monster fires that take everything including stream protection and winter habitat for wildlife. Sorry to get on a soap box here, but the above is just the tip of the tree terminal when it comes to working for the Forest Service now. No one in the Forest Service knows how to manage timber any more and certainly do not know or learn proper logging methods. One shovel of dirt in a stream and you are shut down. Now if you are into global climate research and tree rings, you may be on the right path. Changing habitat, riparian protection and the public use, or even recreation on public lands for the baby boomer bunch that are all retiring. Whatever, if you love to be in the woods and enjoy outdoor activities, don't become a forester, become an engineer, or go into insurance and play alot of golf.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

KBforester

If you do stick with forestry, get the heck out of California. Biggest PITA place to do forestry ever.
Trees are good.

petefrom bearswamp

When I was on my way to Wanakena NY to the NYS Ranger school with two friends in 1958, one of my friends father who was taking us after hearing us talk said boys don't be a forester for the money, do it for the love of the profession.
He was a grad of the  college of forestry at Syracuse.
I have never been sorry and made a pretty good living, met a lot of very nice people and managed many small and not too small (for here) wood lots.
Go for it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

pappy19

If it was 1958 again, there's no question about it, but today, you must be more of an environmentalist and attorney rather than have much true forestry knowledge. Who needs silviculture when the feds don't harvest timber any more? You might get lucky and land a job with private industry or with a state agency that still manage timber, but forget the feds.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Akdoiron

thanks for the info guys, got a bit to chew on, i have always been good with working with my hands (aka mechanically inclined) and engeneering or construction is another aspect i can put in my back-up, i got my class schedule today. its only pre-forestry just 1 class in it, FOR 101, then i have BIO 181 as well, so it will give me a taste of it. I have a passion for it, and not in it for the money, but i am not disvaluing the importance for money, id just rather enjoy my area of study than not.

Thank You Sponsors!