iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 664

Started by KWood255, April 13, 2014, 08:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWood255

Hello fella's. I looked at a 1980(?) Clark 664 today. It had the 3-53 replaced with a 4-53, with the Allison tranny. Tires are about 20%, and it has one set of chains (worn). Also comes with a real nice snow blade. Overall, the skidder looks alright, but definetly has seen some use in her days. Apparently it sat indoors for over 15 years after the 3-53 failed.

The owner changed a few hoses and all the fluids. He did a nice job modifying the rad cradle to accept the extra length of the 4-53. Unfortunatley, looks like some engine oil has been for forced out of the dipstick tube. Not sure why yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Any idea on its worth?  Thanks.

treeslayer2003

no clark came with a Allison, it should have a clark tranny.
if oil comes out dipstick tube then the breather is plugged.
i'd like to see pics of the engine and mounts, that swap is not easy.

mad murdock

If the mods were done nicely, it should really snort!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

KWood255

Also, can somebody clarify the transmission for me please. There is a Hi/Low lever left of the seat, directly next to the forward/reverse lever.

There is a plunger type shaft that is disconnected, but is accessable near the centre of the skidder, under the seat area. I understand this is a travel gear.

I ran the skidder today in both hi/low range. There was no shifting observed when traveling. Is this a multi speed transmission, or simply a single speed with hi and low ranges?

Thanks again. Really miss my TJ about now....

treeslayer2003

yes, high-low, forward-neutral-reverse to the left of the seat. the travel range selector is commonly unhooked to prevent operators from using it as the machine is difficult to control at such high travel speed. you can go from low to high in work range under full power and you should. do not change direction under power.

KWood255

Perfect. Thank you. Seems like tons of power with the 4-53!  Will decide tomorrow if she comes home or not.

coxy

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on April 13, 2014, 10:21:25 PM
yes, high-low, forward-neutral-reverse to the left of the seat. the travel range selector is commonly unhooked to prevent operators from using it as the machine is difficult to control at such high travel speed. you can go from low to high in work range under full power and you should. do not change direction under power.
you can go from high to low or low to high with out coming to a stop or slowing down

treeslayer2003

yes, although you obviously wouldn't go high to low full power, you can if the tractor has lugged down pulling a heavy load. think of it this way, your pump is supplying max pressure to the clutches at wide open throttle, why would you want to decrease pressure by slowing the engine while upshifting under load? I know this is the recommendation for the older clarks and funk powershifts.

NS logging

If the modifications you mentioned were done properly and it was "tinkered up" as you mention, I predict you won't miss that timberjack at all.  Just remember, that first step is a little higher.  Other than that, I think you have graduated to a cadillac

KWood255

Thanks for the info fella's. Still waiting to confirm the oil issue. My concern is the possibility of a bad compression ring etc, causing blow-by. If this is the case, costs will go up in a hurry.

Hopefully the fix is much easier, hoping for answers in the next day or so. Any suggestions on a reasonable price for a machine like this?  Looks to be in pretty fair shape, poor tires aside.

treeslayer2003

the breather tubes are stopped up, even if it is wore out that is why the dipstick tube leaks.
5-10 thousand depending on condition. unless its grapple.

RKH Logging

I paid $5000.00 for my 666.

RKH Logging

my tires are also poor but i got a full spare and a brand new set of ring chains never installed with the machine, for no additional cost.

Thank You Sponsors!