iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buildup on blade when cutting WRC

Started by pine, April 13, 2014, 05:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pine

I have been fighting buildup on the blade when cutting WRC.  I have done the windshield washer fluid, the Pinesol and the dishsoap  mixture methods.  None have kept the buildup from occurring.  I have not used diesel as a fluid but have used it to clean up the blade after the fact as well as WD-40.  My flow rate is basically a small continuous flow (i.e. no discernable droblet size/amount)

Any WRC sawyers have any good ideas?

highleadtimber16

The only time I have this problem is when I have the water all the way off. What kind of mill?
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Board Cutter

Just cut some cedar today.  If anything, I usually cut back on my lube when cutting cedar, no real pitch to deal with.

As was asked above, what kind of mill, are your band wheels clean?

I use the pinesol and water for everything I cut and have never had a buildup issue.
TimberKing 2000, John Deere 970, Hitachi Excavator,

drobertson

Never sawn it, but reading the previous posts, I have to ask about the speed through the log?  Too slow could cause some issues,  I would like to hear more about this issue, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I saw a pine mill using Scrubbing Bubbles...not to expensive to try it and if it works, maybe water it down a bit to save money.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

backwoods sawyer

I run straight water with a good spray and the blades run shiny clean when milling WRC.
It can be abrasive to the cutting edges but usualy get high bft per saw as the feed speeds can be much higher then in dryer Doug fir.
Are your logs fresh or cured?
To clean build up off the saw, turn off water, spray-drissle a small amount of diesel on the saw, let it spin for a bit, turn the water back on, and in most cases it will flush the gunk off the saw. (For safety sake alway work from the back side of the saw) You don't want to just pour it on as to much will float a saw right off the wheel.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brucer

I use straight water in the summer, water and WW fluid in the fall and winter. I use a pretty good water flow with WRC or the blade tends to overheat.

WRC only makes up about 5% of my sawing, but I've never had buildup from it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

pine

Quote from: Board Cutter on April 13, 2014, 10:49:01 PM
As was asked above, what kind of mill, are your band wheels clean?
I use the pinesol and water for everything I cut and have never had a buildup issue.

Timberking
yes the band wheels are clean

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on April 14, 2014, 12:43:40 AM
Are your logs fresh or cured?
To clean build up off the saw, turn off water, spray-drissle a small amount of diesel on the saw, let it spin for a bit, turn the water back on, and in most cases it will flush the gunk off the saw. (For safety sake alway work from the back side of the saw) You don't want to just pour it on as to much will float a saw right off the wheel.

Wood is not real fresh but certainly not cured either.  About 6 months down.

5quarter

I cut a whack of WRC logs left over from a log home build. big and dry. Cut nice and straight with no Lube. I think I cleaned the blade once with a little diesel. These logs were peeled and clear as they can get.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

highleadtimber16

Another thing I've found is as the blade gets duller the sawdust gets finer. If the blade heats up at this point the fine sawdust sticks to it. Water is usually my solution though....
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

pine

I will turn the flow up higher than a slow stream and see what I get.  It just seemed really odd for WRC to be causing this amount of buildup and be so resistant to the liquid solutions I have been trying.

Thank You Sponsors!