iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Pine Logs For The First Time

Started by woodweasel, April 13, 2014, 11:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

Got a call from a fellow Who Has 6 1/2 acres of pine that he is clearing.He wants it cut into 6"x6" posts. I have never cut any pine.Called woodmizer and ordered some 4 degree blades as they advised.The one experience I had with
pine was with my old sawyer.He swore it messed up his machine.I suspect he had the wrong or no additives in his water. Any help from you piney wood boys
& girls would be appreciated :-\ :-\ ::) ;D

Kingcha

2 oz. of liquid Cascade per gallon of water or as the magicman says one glug.     have been cutting mainly pine and it works for me.   I have been using the standard 10 degree blade so far
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

pineywoods

Let's see, you in Texas, so probably loblolly pine. Fresh cut, 4 deg will work, but 10 deg is better. Water and soap, in extreme case diesel. Watch the blade where it exits the cut. Should be clean, if you see sap start to build up, do something... More water, squirt of diesel, in extreme case, stop the blade and scrape the crud off. Buildup on the  blade effectively reduces the set, results in dive or climb when you hit a knot..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

10° blades are the best for me.  I can not figure out why he wants 6X6 posts out of Pine unless it is for a log cabin.  Hopefully not fence posts.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Maybe they are knotty? only reason I could see why 4 degree is suggested from wmz.  7 to 10 degree should do it. A good mix of soap water and scrap as needed as piney mentioned.  Diesel works great if there is a good way of applying it to the blade.  I never wanted to put it through my pump, but have seen it done with no issues that I know of.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I saw mostly White Pine and have always used 10° Double-Hards and had good results!

I usually use water and dish soap but sometimes I use water and Pinesol!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wetdog

Two handfulls of Gojo hand cleaner to one jug of water works best for me on pine.

WoodenHead

I cut mostly pine (80-90%) of what I saw.  I use water and Pinesol -- a couple glugs.  Typically I use 10 degree blades except when the logs are frozen, then I use 9 degree.

For a 6x6 post I'll centre the pith in both dimensions.  Depending on the diameter of the log and what you want to do with the side lumber you can slice the logs up a number of ways.

Small Slick

Same as the other guys. I put pine sol into my jug, I went pretty heavy on the pine sol. I also ran the lube at a light splatter on the log (more than a drip for sure). Diesel in a squirt bottle cuts the pitch really well and only an occasional wiping off of the band is needed.

John

OffGrid973

Going to cut my first pines later this week...great advice guys, plan to use the multi glug method...ha ha
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I was at a mill recently and the sawyer used Scrubbing Bubbles for cleaning.  It worked well.  He said 409 also works.

We ought to make a list of all the concoctions that people use for cleaning.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

woodweasel

Thanks Guys,
       I'm glad I only bought 4 of the 4 degree blades from W.M. The rest I
got my regular 10 degree blades. Wanted to try them as the W.M. dealer
in East Texas as well as the main blade shop in Ind. recommended them.
Looks like blade of choice from  you guys is 10 degree on pine. I tend to believe you gents more so than the other ;D ;D ;D Thanks a Million
                                                                         Woodweasel :-[ :-[

Dave Shepard

I'm sawing white pine, so I don't know how that compares to yellow. I run 10° for most things, pine especially, and 4° for locust and frozen logs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!