iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crazy grouse

Started by ladylake, April 13, 2014, 06:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

This little grouse has been following me around like a little puppy for the last 3 days.  Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

The Roughed Grouse goes through a "stupid stage" a few times a year.

First in the Spring, "mating time"!  smiley_love

Then again in the Fall, when the grapes are ripe.  smiley_alcoholic_01
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

lowpolyjoe

that's great.   good to have some company, right?   :)

Dave Shepard

I have been hearing them drumming for the last few days. I had one trying to move into my garage a couple of years ago.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brucer

We call them "fool hens" around here -- for a good reason.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

trapper

Quote from: Brucer on April 14, 2014, 01:20:05 AM
You talking spruce hen or ruffed grouse?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

petefrom bearswamp

Probably blue grouse
Dumber than a box of rocks.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Shotgun

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on April 14, 2014, 04:08:12 PM
Probably blue grouse
Dumber than a box of rocks.

Known as 'spruce grouse' in Michigan. 
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

petefrom bearswamp

Hate to be technical
Blue Grouse Dendragapus obscuris
Spruce grouse Dendragapus canadensis
Both are dumb
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Forgot to mention
Ruffed grouse is an altogether different genus
Bonasa umbellus
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Shotgun

Pete, 'technical' is good.  Thanks for your input.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

ladylake

I'll just call him crazy, he's still around today.  I took that pic from 2 feet away.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dgdrls

Good looking little fellow, Enjoy his company.

DGDrls

WDH

Gonna start calling you the Bird Man  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 14, 2014, 10:50:10 PM
Gonna start calling you the Bird Man  :D.

Sounds good....I'm looking for some new material.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

When I was living in Alaska, the "fool hen" was the Ptarmagin.

If you were patient, you could get them with a stick!

No matter how you look at it, a grouse is a good meal!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

Quote from: trapper on April 14, 2014, 09:58:32 AM
Quote from: Brucer on April 14, 2014, 01:20:05 AM
You talking spruce hen or ruffed grouse?

Ruffed grouse. The only kind we see around here.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WDH

Don't be grousing about it  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ST Ranch

A good meal - Yes, BUT I hate the d--n things at this time of the year!

It seems whenever I am doing forestry work at this time of year, especialy in thicker brush, they stay hidden until you almost step on them and then they flush out of the bush and scare the B-Jesus out of you.
Tom 
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

SwampDonkey

Yes, I remember those western blue grouse on the islands off the BC coast. The boys would bring in sling shots, and get the marbles out of paint cans to sling them silly birds. ;D

Ruffed grouse in the deep woods here are stupid like spruce grouse. But around the settlements and farms here, you can't get within 1/4 mile of one. Vrooom! Well an exaggeration, but they are a whole lot more alert and smart.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

hardtailjohn

We had one that would fly in your window when you drove by a few years ago....we called it "Cato"... (Inspector Clouseau reference) because we would always be looking for it when we got to that stretch of road. Scared the heck out of a few friends as well as us a time or two!!  I think it wound up in someone's kettle one day.
John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbUD7FRStbY
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

WmFritz

Quote from: ST Ranch on April 15, 2014, 11:34:25 AM
A good meal - Yes, BUT I hate the d--n things at this time of the year!

It seems whenever I am doing forestry work at this time of year, especialy in thicker brush, they stay hidden until you almost step on them and then they flush out of the bush and scare the B-Jesus out of you.
Tom

I've gone into the woods deer hunting before dawn and sat under pine trees that had a grouse roosting in it. When daylight came and that bugger launched... I'd about come out of my boots.  :D :D   It's happened more then once.

I've even had them land above me in a tree and made mental notes to myself to remember he's up there. Never fails... they always blast off just as I'm dozing off.  :o :o
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Roxie

Hardtailjohn, naming the grouse Cato was hilarious, but the accompanying video of the Clouseau and Cato made me laugh till I cried.  Thank you!   :D :D :D
Say when

SwampDonkey

Yes, I have all the original Pink Panther movies as a set, they are a good laugh. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!