iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flea Market Find! SACHS-DOLMAR 116si

Started by ReggieT, April 13, 2014, 03:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Looked on Craigslist late Friday night and saw this little rascal for dirt cheap.
It was being advertised from a guys booth @ a local flea market.
A couple of emails and directions and Saturday...I'm leaving with it!

Needs some carb adjustment, piston & cylinder looks great, good compression...a little TLC and it should make a decent runner! 8)

Anybody run or ever owned one of these?

Hilltop366

I sold a few of them in the 80's, the people that bought them liked them. I might still have a part or two somewhere, a top handle and a few gaskets come to mind.

I still have a 115 from back then and I may have enough pieces to make a another.

ReggieT

Quote from: Hilltop366 on April 13, 2014, 09:49:17 AM
I sold a few of them in the 80's, the people that bought them liked them. I might still have a part or two somewhere, a top handle and a few gaskets come to mind.

I still have a 115 from back then and I may have enough pieces to make a another.

Thanks I appreciate that.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

mad murdock

That is a nice saw you got yerself right there!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bandmiller2

I have one and its one fine saw. I had a friend that was a husky dealer he said he would rather have a used sachs than a new anything else. Parts may be hard to find. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ReggieT

What size bar would you guys run on it?
I'm thinking I'm gonna grab a 20" Sugihara & a 18" as well.

All with chisel chain! 8)

Pine Ridge

Bought one of them in probably 1988 or 1989, first new saw I ever bought.Good running saw,had an 18'' bar on mine.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

ReggieT

Well this little bugger is gonna need a cylinder/piston assembly...which I'be been slow walking down. :'(

charleswalton

I might can find you one,if you don't want to sell it?

Engineer

I don't know of any sponsors on here who are Dolmar dealers but I am going to put a plug in for MY regular dealer, The Cutting Edge in Greenwich NY.  Ask for Scott or Steve.  They may (should) have what you need for parts, as they are not only enthusiastic Dolmar dealers but fans and collectors as well.  Google them, and give 'em a call if you can't find what you are looking for otherwise.

Edit:  OK there's a couple including chainsawr.com.  And I guess you found what you were looking for.

ReggieT

Quote from: Engineer on May 07, 2014, 06:30:40 PM
I don't know of any sponsors on here who are Dolmar dealers but I am going to put a plug in for MY regular dealer, The Cutting Edge in Greenwich NY.  Ask for Scott or Steve.  They may (should) have what you need for parts, as they are not only enthusiastic Dolmar dealers but fans and collectors as well.  Google them, and give 'em a call if you can't find what you are looking for otherwise.

Edit:  OK there's a couple including chainsawr.com.  And I guess you found what you were looking for.
Hey, Thanks for the info & contact sources. I did order a air-filter, carb kit from Chainsawr.com & a piston from Northwoods...and a friend of mine from Aborsite sent me a sweet jug for $25 bucks.
The Tornado's did a real number in our area...there are 1000's of downed tree's...mostly Red Oak, Silver Maple, Pine & White Oak...a man could stack up firewood for a decade right now. :o
Folks are paying big $$$$ for tree removal & giving away the wood!! 8)

ReggieT

Well here's the finished product...kinda.
Has an older Windsor 16" hard-nose bar & semi-chisel chain that's razor sharp!

Thinking of grabbing a 18 or 20" Stihl Rollamtic ES light bar and a couple loops of of RSC and let her rip.
Strange thing though...it has Sachs Dolmar 116si on the pull cord housing & 120 on the metal that holds the bar on!!  ???

Guess the previous owner got strapped for parts and just slapped on what he could.
Anyway its got 116si guts now...and it flat out slings the chips and starts on about two pulls!
BTW...would you guys hang on to the hard-nose bar? I've never used one...heard they were great for plunge cuts. 8)

stihlsawer

I won't part with my 116si. Two pulls or less and it's eating!!
120si parts interchange with it; same stroke.

Trever
Trever Jones
Stihl 076 Super, 034, MS 260 PRO, MS 192T
Dolmar 116si
GB 44" lumber mill, Mini mill, Beam machine

ReggieT

Quote from: stihlsawer on August 22, 2014, 01:45:09 PM
I won't part with my 116si. Two pulls or less and it's eating!!
120si parts interchange with it; same stroke.

Trever
Travis, I hear ya! My saw Guru friend...says that the 16" bar is too small for it in his opinion because the power it has! I use to really miss my Stihl 034, but from everything I read this saw runs circles around it...of course it does have almost 4 cc's more and a tad less RPM's.
But...I'll see here in the long run...what bar would you run?

Oliver1655

Hard tipped bars are great when working with dirty wood & stumps.  You won't have to worry about messing up the sprocket with the dirt.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

clww

All the bars we use daily are hard nose.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ReggieT

Do you guys loose very much cutting speed with hard-nose bars as opposed to sprocket??? ??? :P

Thanks
Reg

sawguy21

Hard nose bars were fine in the old days with slower speed saws but rarely sell today except for special applications. I sold them to a dredging company cutting old pilings in the river, a sprocket nose won't live in those conditions.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ReggieT

Hey...having a bit of difficult time starting this saw...started on the 1st pull then zero...any ideas???
Running mid-grade ethanol-free fuel...

Started right up in the my Chainsaw Tech's shop! >:( :snowball:

Thanks for the feedback on the hard-nose bars.

David-L

ReggieT , I still have that 6400 jug and piston. Will that work on this saw. I picked up a 109 sachs and love it for brush work. Plenty of power and smooth. Also have a Sachs 116 with spark issues and the piston is scorn as well as the jug. Handles, covers ,etc are good. Interested.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

ReggieT

Thanks Dave,

I really appreciate that...just had my Saw Tech slam a new piston/cylinder kit on it...but I did find out they were notorious for module/spark issues.
But...I may touching bases with you on some parts...real soon.

Thanks
Reg

SawTroll

60cc, 3.1 kW, made 1986 - 1997, according to Acres site.
Information collector.

Hilltop366

After 26 years of use, my Sachs Dolmar LT-210 (line trimmer) finally quit, It had no spark so I started at the plug and worked my way back (with the kill switch unplugged) after removing plug boot and the spring clip and testing spark right from the wire end I had spark so I cut off 1/4 " of the plug wire and reinstalled the end and trimmed grass for 2 more hours.

I wonder how many coils get tossed without checking the plug wire end?

I hope you get your 116 sorted out!

Thank You Sponsors!