iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Great Day at the Mill

Started by YellowHammer, April 12, 2014, 10:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Well, Spring showed up, finally, and the customers came out in waves to purchase wood.  It was an exceptionally beautiful day, bright and clear, and as I was walking down the driveway I snapped this photo. 

Customers everywhere (9 vehicles when I took this photo although you can't see them all), people having a good time just chatting, buying wood, swapping stories and enjoying the weather.  Some were neighbors from just down from the road, and others came from further away, Birmingham and Nashville.  One guy drove 4 hours with his wife and dog, and said he'd been waiting all winter to visit. At one point, we had to fire up the second credit card machine, but nobody was in a hurry and nobody got cranky.

Here's a few pics of wood that the customers bought.  Some nice curly cherry

And some very bright clean maple (special thanks to WDH for helping me trying to figure out how to assembly line dry maple without ruining it).

And some cedar for someone's new porch

I think my next business investment will be a Porta Potty.   :D
One of the big reasons a day like this is possible is from all the great information and friends I have made on the Forum.  Thanks again folks, and come visit anytime.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

jamesamd

Good for You YH 8)
I hope it continues,all summer long!

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

TimGA

Yellowhammer, 
            What a beautiful day and great start, great looking wood and nice looking place I can see why people are coming. wishing you a great year.
                              Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

customsawyer

Very happy for you. It sure is nice to sit back and see some of your work paying off.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Good luck with sales. and I think the nile will pay off  8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Beautifully prepared wood.  You must be living right to get curly cherry like that  ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

You betcha!  that looks like a great day! Happy for you for sure!   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

That's what sawing is all about!!  I hope you have more days like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

congratulations on a good day . Sure is nice looking wood !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

pine

Congratulations and hope your sales continue at a good pace.

Peter Drouin

I got to get a Nile set up and running:D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Peter,

Yellowjammer's Nyle kiln has already been paid for many times over, I suspect  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on April 14, 2014, 07:45:42 AM
Peter,

Yellowjammer's Nyle kiln has already been paid for many times over, I suspect  ;D.
smiley_thumbsup
i bought one of the first of this model from Nyle, and after several years of use it's still cranks out a load of kiln dried about every week.  I think its only been turned off a total of three days since it was installed.

A good kiln is like a printing press, it just makes money.

25 years ago, I got into building high end houses, and among other things, would do all the woodwork, cabinets, flooring, and even furniture in the houses.  I could never find the quality and quantities of wood I needed, so started this operation just to supply myself with lumber.  The first house I built had kitchen cabinets made from some white oak trees that I cleared where the kitchen now stands, and it was a great selling point.  About 12 years ago, we bought a 150 acre cattle farm and built the house and other buildings you see in the photo and liked the area so much we decided to stay.  We also decided to get out of the housing business, so we had to make a decision to get out of the lumber side also or start selling on the open market, which is what we did.
So that's when Hobby Hardwood Alabama was born, and we've been doing it ever since. 

It wasn't until I found this forum a few years ago that I realized that there were other people as sawdust crazy and workaholic as me, and I've been glad to be part of it ever since.   8)
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!