iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring Dislikes

Started by Magicman, April 12, 2014, 10:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Spring is good but there are some dislikes, kinda like Jeff dislikes snakes.

Like Poison Ivy.

Fire Ants.

And little Sweetgum trees.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

for us, copperheads, rattlesnakes, scorpions, tarantulas, poison ivy, oak, sumac, ticks (we have had a bunch already)

the pros out way it though. turkey season, mushrooms, mulberries.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Coast Steve

-Cops, giving out free speeding tickets 8)
-Running over poor snakes in my driveway.
-Birds crashing into windows
-Gas and food prices go up.
-All the tourist come here!

DonT

What are fire ants? and what harm do they do? 

curdog

Quote from: DonT on April 12, 2014, 11:07:53 PM
What are fire ants? and what harm do they do?
They are ants sent to the south from the devil ;) they will cover your feet up if you accidentally stir up the mound. Then they will all bite your feet, seemingly all at once. Some of the mounds can be a few feet tall and have tens of thousands of ants. I'm sure we can send some up north so y'all won't miss out on the fun of fire ants. In nc if you use equipment in a county containing fire ants, then you're supposed to wash it before moving it to a non fire ant county.

JohnM

After the snow melts realizing how often the dog has done his business near the door in the backyard/drive. :-\  (I'll hold off on the pics.) :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

caveman

Oak pollen.  I guess we kind of need it but it sure messes up my sinuses.
Caveman
Caveman

Chuck White

Here, I guess the biggest culprit is MUD!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sprucebunny

Black flies.
At least you have a chance of seeing and avoiding fire ants.... black flies hunt you down and sneak into your ears. Bite your eyelids.... I end up looking like I've lost a boxing match  ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

red oaks lumber

i have no spring dislikes, anything after winter is a blessing :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

Seems like it does not last as long as it use to, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

lowpolyjoe

I'm thankful the temperatures have warmed up, but the allergies are starting to kick in  :(

goose63

No need to send the fire ants poured some diesel on the mound let it soak in set it on fire dug it up with pitch fork took a few days but I got em 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

And if you have hundreds of mounds?  Then what??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I don't know much about them fire ants. Saw a program and there were 1000's of them things floating down stream. Looked like a moving mound.
I try to keep the poison ivy stuff off my land. I am always fighting it at the edge of my woods.I got rid of it on a stone wall. Sprayed the vegetation killer right to it about 3 years steady. Ground was barren for 3 years. It it was green,it got sprayed. Did not bother to look what it was.
Them black flies are a bothersome critter. I have company and most are from a town or just don't go outside much and they have a fit as soon as they get out of thier cars.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

QuoteSaw a program and there were 1000's of them things floating down stream. Looked like a moving mound.
Yes, high water will flood them out of their nest and they climb up whatever is nearby.  As the water rises further, the ball of fire ants floats and bobs along with the water current.  It would be very unfortunate to tangle with an ant ball.

A friend of ours' wife died from multiple ant stings and not from an ant ball.  They got into the house and covered her while she was in her bed.

Magicman

Today's wind filled our drive way with White Oak pollen pods.

curdog

Fire ants are also rough on native wildlife, quail and other ground nesting birds get killed by fire ants pretty often. Here in western nc the biting flies aren't horrible, but eastern nc has yellow flies, horse flies and mosquitoes the size of a plane. The yellow flies will cover your truck and wait for you to open the door.
The worst part of spring is that it means we are just one step closer to summer, and I hate the humidity of the summer months. Winter can't come around quick enough.

redprospector

I dislike fire season. I hate it when a forest fire burns up 20,000 or more acres of forest land along with any homes and buildings in it's path.
I also dislike high winds (especially during fire season). We sometimes get winds between 60 and 80 mph. with higher gusts this time of year.
We don't have any poisonous snakes at 8600' elevation, but that sometimes makes one lax in observance when working at the lower levels.
Deer flies.
Ground hornets.
I guess that's about it.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Brucer

My only early spring dislike is the mud. However, it's just a warning that the black flies and mosquitoes are coming. And about the time they disappear, we'll have to worry about wild fires.

The black bears aren't out yet -- they had a great fall and are well fed. They'll come out, look at the snow, and head back to bed for a couple of weeks. I don't have a problem with them in any case. We have an understanding -- they stay out of my territory and I don't throw stuff at them ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sandhills

Typically as a farmer I like to see mud this time of year (I only farm dryland) but my big dislike right now is the 3' snow drifts in my driveway, this is the middle of April, didn't push hardly any snow all winter here and now when it should be 65* I have to push snow  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!