iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring Cleaning Drying Shed, where does it come from??

Started by Andy White, April 12, 2014, 06:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Spent today cleaning out the drying shed, after loading all my Red Oak into the kiln. Need room to saw and air dry my Walnut! What do you guys do with all the misc. sizes, lengths and kinds of lumber that accumulates in a short time? I kept every thing over 4' long  There are 2x, 1x and some dog boards that can be any thickness x width, and some 5" x5" x 12' posts. It's too good to burn, so I will keep it. I may have a "yard sale" and get rid of it all! What would you do???

Also installed a "speedometer " on the kiln, just for a visual when I walk by. Amazes me how little sun it takes to get HOT in there.

Next week us cutting time again!!!     Andy  8) 8) 8)
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

I assume that your sticker box is full.  Is there a local "retired woodworker's club"??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

we try only cutting the size we need at the time, if you don't stay on top of it you'll soon be buried.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ocklawahaboy

As I sit by the fire and digest the clams, there is wood stickered in every direction I look.  The yard sale idea has crossed my mind but I think it would sell better right off the mill.  Perhaps a sale where you had the mill running a bit and all the misc stuff stacked around for sale.

Magicman

Lumber is exactly what got me out of the lumber business and into the sawing business.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

Lynn,
I really didn't set out to be in the lumber business. After sawing for my drying shed, and then the kiln, things just kinda got away! Something about the dust, the sounds, and the smells of fresh sawn lumber makes me want to keep the Double Hards buried in a log! I guess this is the side effects of this sawing fever. Hope no cure is developed!! :o :o 8)   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

backwoods sawyer

Donate it to the local High school shop class. Take a tax dedution.
and make more for next spring ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chop Shop

I just figured everybody had a cheapo buddy that comes by every so often and grabs anything that looks useful for a couple a bucks!    :D

yukon cornelius

i try to make things out of my ends pieces and messed up lumber but it still accumulates quick. probably because almost all my cuts seem to be that way lol! ok not all. I doo like cutting obscure pieces just to see whats inside. usually I have no idea what its going to be until it sits on the work bench for a half hour or so.

I love those saw horse/table base things I want to replicate a set of those. they are fantastic.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Bill Gaiche

Can you make a rack that is up off the floor say 3'? Then stack more lumber under that which needs air dried. Or vice versa. Yeah, those are some nice horses for sure. bg

sealark37

The best, most reliable way to find a good use for this material is to burn it.  Then, every time you turn around in the shop you will need the stuff you burned.  There is a difference between a hoarder and a pack rat.     Regards, Clark

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: sealark37 on April 13, 2014, 11:03:05 AM
There is a difference between a hoarder and a pack rat.
and which one owns a sawmill?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chop Shop

When a hoarder dies, you just take chit to the dump.

When a pack rat dies, the rest of the pack shows up to find the treasures.

Thank You Sponsors!