iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

echo cs310?

Started by trapper, April 12, 2014, 12:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Anyone with experience with the little echo cs310?  Some times a little saw is handy and my poulan is getting tired.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Rob5073

I have one.  What do you want to know about it? 

ladylake

A cs310 is nice and light, a CS400 weighs a couple pounds more at  13# ready to cut and really cuts good.  A CS400 is my favorite around the mill, starts great, light, lots of power and reasonable .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Echo saws generally are very low on power, compared to the cc of the engine, and the weight of the saw.   ::)

Either they don't know how a two-cycle engine should be ported, or they don't respect their costumers enough to care......
Information collector.

ladylake

The fact is the from people that actually run them they have excellent power cc for cc but they do need their clogged up muffler opened up and limiter caps pulled and tuned right which takes less that 1/2 hour.  Best buy out there in saws right now.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

trapper

Rob5073 just looking for real world opinions of users.
ladylake the 400 is getting too close to my ms250
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

ZeroJunk

I have had a couple of Echos and they were well made and reliable. For most of us whether or not it will cut cookie a little slower doesn't amount to much in the scheme of things.

Rob5073

Quote from: trapper on April 12, 2014, 06:17:24 PM
Rob5073 just looking for real world opinions of users.
ladylake the 400 is getting too close to my ms250

Well it's a 30cc engine. Mine is a stock saw.    I've used it for trimming and limbing which it does well.  I've also used it to buck small diameter trees and branches for firewood.  It came with a safety chain and it cuts good.  The bar has a narrow profile which I guess is appropriate for this size saw.  Don't expect it to cut real fast but as long as the chain is sharp,  there should not be any issues.   It probably would help the little saw if the muffler was modified.  Everthing is plastic on the saw.  The saw is very easy to start out of the box and idles good.  I think it's a good little saw. 

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on April 12, 2014, 05:23:43 PM
The fact is the from people that actually run them they have excellent power cc for cc but they do need their clogged up muffler opened up and limiter caps pulled and tuned right which takes less that 1/2 hour.  Best buy out there in saws right now.   Steve

Take a good look at the porting of the cylinders..... ::)
Information collector.

Knute

I have a CS310. A nice little saw for limbing but not enough power for much over 6" diameter. I know I would have more power with the modifications, but haven't done it yet. Always starts easy.

sawguy21

Quote from: SawTroll on April 12, 2014, 10:06:52 PM

It was never intended to be a race saw. The big problem is overly lean settings out of the box, give it a tweak it will perform admirably.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ladylake

Quote from: SawTroll on April 12, 2014, 10:06:52 PM

Have you ever seen the porting as you've never owned one, at any rate they cut real good cc for cc.   Steve

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on April 12, 2014, 04:43:14 PM
Echo saws generally are very low on power, compared to the cc of the engine, and the weight of the saw.   ::)

Either they don't know how a two-cycle engine should be ported, or they don't respect their costumers enough to care......

SawTroll, I have to give you a little 40 year old history lesson on a wee little Echo 30cc CS-302 chainsaw :D :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

goose63

Now that's an eye opener very nice history lesson :P
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jiles

Quote from: SawTroll on April 12, 2014, 04:43:14 PM

I have  Stihl, Dolmar , Echo and Husqvarna saws.
When doing a comparison with the 40cc saws, I was surprised to find that the Echo 400 will pull an 18" bar better then any of the others. But that is only a 40cc comparison and I cannot comment on the others.
I might add that I rebuilt all these saws.
Satisfy needs before desires

HolmenTree

Quote from: goose63 on April 13, 2014, 05:33:41 PM
Now that's an eye opener very nice history lesson :P
Yes I thought it proves the point that Echo's are not under powered....especially a 40 year old one at only 30cc :D
This should answer the OP's question if the 30cc CS310 is "enough of a saw" :)

trapper

HolmenTree  liked both of your replys.  Wasnt worried too much about power.  looked at one today.  I think I will have my favorite dealer order one.  He mainly sells stihl and husky but is also an authorized echo dealer.  Liked the antivibe and the bar has 2 nuts where the stihl has 1 to hold it on.  I would have no problem buying where I looked at the saw but buying all my saw and lawn equipment where I do he gives me great service.  At times puts me ahead of other customers.

Jiles

Quote from: trapper on April 15, 2014, 12:08:03 AM
HolmenTree  liked both of your replys.  Wasnt worried too much about power.  looked at one today.  I think I will have my favorite dealer order one.  He mainly sells stihl and husky but is also an authorized echo dealer.  Liked the antivibe and the bar has 2 nuts where the stihl has 1 to hold it on.  I would have no problem buying where I looked at the saw but buying all my saw and lawn equipment where I do he gives me great service.  At times puts me ahead of other customers.
Personally, I wouldn't be bothered by only one bar nut.
I have owned a Stihl 200t for quite a while, and it is considered by many to be the best chainsaw ever made.
I have never had a problem with bar getting loose.
Satisfy needs before desires

ZeroJunk

I had a little CS345 for several years before I gave it to a friend who had a long battle with cancer and needed a light saw. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I worked up with that saw. I would have an 036 and  an MS660 sitting on the back of the truck and just leave them there until it got bigger than 16 inches. Only thing I ever did was lose the limiter on the high side. No muffler mod or anything.

I have six or eight saws coming and going all the time and all the Echos, Stihls, Huskys, Jreds, Dolmars, work fine. The only advantage to Stihl and Husky is that parts are everywhere. They will all run and do a good job until you are sick of them.

HolmenTree

Seeing Echo offers a 5 year consumer warranty and a 1 year commercial warranty they have to be a well built saw.

Also "Made in the U.S.A" :)

www.echo.ca/Products/Chain-Saws

trapper

My reason for echo over stihl only is  that I have a couple of extra bars and chains, some new for my poulan that will work on the echo but not on the stihl.  I like my stihls that I now have.

Thank You Sponsors!