iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What would you call it

Started by RMay, June 23, 2004, 04:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMay

What would the BF. be in a stack of lumber that is 10 ft. long , 6 1/2 ft. wide and 23.5 in. hi. it has 21 rows in it the lumber is 1 1/8 in. :-/ Would it be 1365 bf. or 1507 bf. ::)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Gilman

That's easy,
1365 bf if I was buying it, 1507 if I was selling it.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

beenthere

1365 if measured as 1" and just measuring the total width of the layers. However, if each board was scaled separately with a scale stick, it could be more, or less than the 1365 bf.  Its important to know as the scale stick can round down boards that fall below the 1/2 board foot mark, if I remember right. Same as board volume can drop between green and dry measurement if the width of boards green are over the 1/2 mark and rounded up, but shrink below the 1/2 mark when dry. If figured in when edging to width (or sawing the log), board width can be sawn to stay above the 1/2 mark and no volume is lost from drying.

( I thought I counted 21 layers on that truck.  :) )  I didn't guess real well on the 6 1/2 feet of width. I was thinking closer to 7'.  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Percy

Hi RMay
Not sure what you are up to but it sounds like the hardwood thing. I sold a load of birch last year, my guzzintas said 16,000 bdft at 1 inch even tho it was cut 1.25. Well my 16,000 turned into their(buyers, guys who write checks ;D)14,500 cause they hosed me on the widths(Anything under 5.25 wide was considered a 4 inch and so on up the ladder). I shudda read the fine print. When you find a buyer who plays by the rules( some of the rules are not in your/my favor), hang on to them as they are not all that common.. ;D ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

RMay

Beenthere it will be interesting to see what it scales per board ::) if 1/8 in would of been curf of the band the wood used in the cut would be 142 bf are more  ::)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

RMay

Percy I cut 1/4 in. over on the scale but with the curf of the band I will be off 1/16 in. in width :-/

Bibbyman

You can expect some "shrinkage" from the BF volume on the truck and what you are paid for – unless every board was real nice.  

Say you've got a board 10' long by 8" wide.  The grader may grade it #2comon at that size because of defects on edges, ends, etc.  But if he calls it an 8' board,  then trims an end (at least on the tally sheet),  the grade could go up to an FAS, and then the board will scale less but bring more.  Same way with widths.  Too much bark or defect on edge and the grader my buy an 8" wide as a 6" or 7".  

Also,  you may have had some below grade lumber and it was not bought or tallied at all.   We've had a few once in a while but the footage was accounted for but nothing paid.  

So you could have got screwed or the grader could be doing you a favor and looking for a higher grade board within a lower grade one.

It'd be real valuable to be able to stand with the grader and have them point out why they grade and measure the way they do.  Not likely the buyer will let you do this.

One thing Mary does when she delivers a load to the broker - she asks for a recept for how many BF of what she brought in.  Sometimes bundles and even whole truck loads are just lost on the lot.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

RMay

Bibby I got a invite to come stand with the grader. my last load was like that, I didn't have but 20 bf. of 3A & 5bf. of 3b out of 500bf. I may be grading out the 3a&3b to hard  ::)

sparks

\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

SwampDonkey

Why don't you use the calculators to the left of this thread, by the Toolbox icon? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!