iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pest Alerts

Started by Ron Scott, April 11, 2014, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

~Ron

petefrom bearswamp

Good lord, we forest owners everywhere are doomed.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WmFritz

The biggest things I took away from those reports were, Do not transport firewood and if you see an infestation, report it.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

chain

I have noticed many trucks transporting logs and other fresh-cut wood products from in and out of State. In fact, from the extreme south and eastern part of Missouri I've seen log, RR tie, and pallet trucks, etc.  from Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee. So to me, firewood transporting is insignificant when compared to thousands of tons of fresh logs and manufactured wood being hauled around nearly every work day.

beenthere

They need to show some action items when these "pests" hit, and firewood is the straw man that is easiest to hit on. IMO

Makes little common sense to me.

Like the action taken when/where EAB is discovered. Throw up the quarantine on the county and then admit that the EAB has likely been there already for 3-4 years. The horse has long left the barn, so closing the barn door will do no good. But closing the barn door just "feels good" to some.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Grow red cedar, black locust, honey locust, sweetgum, invest in resistance breeding, find the predator/pest of the pest and introduce that if it won't cause a worse problem. The answers we have gotten so far center on blame and not on solutions.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

petefrom bearswamp

Beenthere I agree.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Shotgun

Monday mornings are always good.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

chain

Noticed on the 'Oak Wilt' recommendations, "not to move firewood" from infected oak-wilt trees..what's that telling us?  Not going to happen. As again, what's the difference in removing 100,000 bd. ft. of red oak wilt infected logs from the forest 30 miles to a mill, and wood products from such hauled to where ever?

Here's an interesting rec from a "Oak-Decline" management Guideline in Missouri, 2002. Among several recs was to avoid pruning or thinning red oak during the growing season, do not log red oak from April-June when bark is loose. Now, here's the catch 22..."In Missouri, felling before mid-July will prevent the maturation of the Two-lined Chestnut Borer, which are sensitive to rapid drying of cambium and adjacent tissues."  ???What will it be, control wilt or the borer?

So, you may see, there's little the forester, manager, or logger can do about the situation once Red-Oak decline and borer are present. I prefer logging in fall-winter only.

Roxie

This week's Lancaster Farmer has an article on Thousand Cankers Disease, and our county is now under quarantine.  No walnut out of the county, and no firewood of any kind, because they claim that walnut firewood is hard to identify from general hardwood. 

Say when

jrose1970

Hey Fellers,
  I saw a big pretty hemlock dying in North Carolina around Murphy the other day. They are still healthy in our part of East Tennessee. It is a shame.
  The next county over from ours is quarintined for Emerald Ash Bore. They say it will kill all of the ashes. It came over from China in a wooden pallet. Ain't free trade and globalization wonderful. But don't move firewood. LOL
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

Thank You Sponsors!