iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Bye Bye XP

Started by Ianab, April 11, 2014, 05:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Well, I've finally switched my "daily driver" PC from XP to Kubuntu.

A few tweaks and it's all good.

Don't worry, I've not gone crazy and bought a new PC or anything silly like that. It's a dumpster dived Core 2 PC. Replace dodgy hard disk, drop in some more Ram, and it's good to go.

Anyway, if you are still running XP, there are options. (Other than giving Bill G more $$)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

My new system is being delivered today... so they say.

Maybe I'll give your suggestion a try on the old(2007) system. Not so brave to give it a go before.
Just too many unknown's in my mind.

Thanks for the suggestion, but really have no idea what Kubuntu is or how to do the "tweaks" that likely would be needed. I'll need to do some searching.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

my daily driver is also an XP  :(
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

luvmexfood

Recently had to purchase a new Laptop and got Windows 8. I can best describe it as "it totally sucks".
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

beenthere

I hear that Windows 8.1 is better...  and I hope that is true.
However, I plan to switch the new computer to Google Chrome ASAP.
Waiting for a monitor to fire up the new Win 8.1 computer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Quote from: luvmexfood on April 11, 2014, 04:48:16 PM
Recently had to purchase a new Laptop and got Windows 8. I can best describe it as "it totally sucks".

http://www.classicshell.net/

Classic shell is a free program that you can load on win 8.x. It gives you a normal desktop, shortcuts, start menu etc.  Load that and you have a machine that looks like XP or Win7.

Win 8 is actually quite a good OS, fast, stable etc. It's just the touch screen interface really sucks on a desktop PC

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

luvmexfood

I read something about that the other day. Going to install it next time I can get somewhere with free wifi. Can only get dial-up here. Downloaded open office and have to remove some of the nusciance programs it also downloaded.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Al_Smith

I am also waiting on an HD monitor to arrive.

I've had a new Dell for about 6 months with Win 8 I've been reclutant to use because I can navigate XP fairly well .My son who is an IT guru assures me with the patch it's not that bad . Unfortunately  his father is almost computor illiterate .

Now I've heard if you use a high speed gaming mouse Win 8 works a lot better .If that is factual though I can't really attest to .

Evidently Tiger direct is a secondary shipper because the patch cables came in from Ill. and they are in Fla .Hard to say where the monitor will come from

thecfarm

I learned on XP. Those poor support people when I was on the learn.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Win 3.0 for me ,then ME then XP.

I don't know it's a mind set I guess .I could program an ABB robot to ice a cake and a PC gives me fits .Go figure that one . :D

thecfarm

I use to play with Fanuc robots. Motor man too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I finally fired up the Dell with that wonder of wonders Win 8 .They must have stayed up nights making it as user unfriendly  as they could .They were successfull  at their task too .

However I am typing this post on the good old XP pro on the good old computor .I don't need to have a masters degree in computor science on that one .What on earth were they thinking ?

thecfarm

That is exactly what happened. Someone was thinking too much. I like the KISS factor.

Mooseherder

Here is an online tutorial for people who like visual learning on windows 8 and 8.1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVEvbKg6JNI

dgdrls

beenthere

Quote from: Ianab on April 11, 2014, 05:33:47 PM
Quote from: luvmexfood on April 11, 2014, 04:48:16 PM

http://www.classicshell.net/

Classic shell is a free program that you can load on win 8.x. It gives you a normal desktop, shortcuts, start menu etc.  Load that and you have a machine that looks like XP or Win7.

Win 8 is actually quite a good OS, fast, stable etc. It's just the touch screen interface really sucks on a desktop PC

Ian

Ian
Many thanks for that suggestion. Really comforting to have the old XP format to work on Win 8.1 when looking at files and moving them around. Has been a real blessing.  smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

If/when my laptop with XP fails, and if Win 8 doesn't run my programs, it will promptly get a low level format and XP installed.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

Nice video
Christopher Plummer didnt like the role and called the movie the sound of mucous.
My wife uses her xp machine all the time but not on the web.
Should she be worried?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ianab

QuoteMy wife uses her xp machine all the time but not on the web.
Should she be worried?

If you aren't browsing the web or opening emails, then the security risk is very small. Basically you can keep using it as long as you want / the machine lasts.

Ian

SwampDonkey

Heck during the 2000 scar concerning computer clocks, there was still lots of Windows 3.1 users and the world didn't fall into chaos. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

My goodness that 2000 thing sent the suvivalists into over drive .They bought grocerys galore,weapons amunition you name it .It was like a feeding frenzy for sharks .All for naught .I was slightly amused . :D 8) :D

SwampDonkey

It just proved there are some 'not so bright' people in this world. ;D

thecfarm

I worked at a good size company. They would throw 10's of 1,000's of dollars at a problem just to make sure it would work if the higher ups said to make sure that works for corporate office.  ::)

Al_Smith

FWIW for those who don't know actually xp isn't going away for large corperate users .They are paying for the support .

Problem being many programs such as machine operations ,inventory etc were set up for XP and are  not compatable for Win 7 or 8 .Looks like Billy Gates has them by the short hairs at least for a while .

Now we're not talking thousands of dollars ,billions .How about that for planed obsolescence  >:(

Warbird

Funny management story about the whole Y2K scare...  first, there was some need for concern on critical systems but yes, I agree.  Many blew it WAY out of proportion.

So the story is that some foreign executive manager for a major airlines (China or Korea if memory serves) told all of his managers that they would have every single aircraft computer updated and that all of them would be be on the planes, in the air, at the stroke of midnight heading into the new millennium.

Talk about incentive to do a good job.  LOL