iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickie Hitch

Started by Magicman, April 10, 2014, 08:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

So after building the log arch, I found the need for having multiple hitch points on my tractor.  The reason being that the rake may or may not be attached and also I did not want to have to find a wrench whenever I needed to reverse the rake.  The arch does not present the load such as a trailer would so I drilled the hitch bolt and used a Lynch pin to secure it to either the tractor or the rake.

I drilled the hitch bolt to accept a ΒΌ" Lynch pin.

The hitch now snaps onto the tractor,

And onto either the forward or reverse position of the rake.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnM

Quote from: Magicman on April 10, 2014, 08:28:38 PM
And onto either the forward or reverse position of the rake.
Nicely done, MM.  I've got a ball on my logging winch and it'd be handy to do what you did so I could switch the ball to my box blade when needed.  I've never used a york rake and can't figure how or why you'd use one in reverse? ??? :P
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

You can only pull so much stuff so far before it needs pushing off down the hill or into a burn pile.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

When I saw the title of this thread my first thought was either Las Vegas or a shotgun was involved. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

shinnlinger

I bough a 4 ft chunk of "receiver tube" from a local welder and cut bits off it and welded them to implements that spend a lot of time on my tractor.  This way I can swap in different sized balls and even a winch I have toolessly w/out removing anything.  On my back blade, I initially had a ball set up something like yours to pull a medium sized dump trailer, but after a while it broke the main pivot bolt. I have since welded a chunk to "the red part" on yours so the weight is directly on the tractor vs the rake and pivot.

Here is a pic with the winch mounted...

YOu won't have any problems if you stick to pulling your arch but if I was running the show I know I would strap something too big to it at some point and break something.  I recall pulling a 16 ft flatbed trailer with a good sized load of pine on it down the road with my tractor once and for some reason thought it would be a good idea to coast down a small hill and pushed in the clutch.  Well as you probably know, tractor brakes, especially 25yo tractor brakes, are not up to stopping much more than the tractor and wowie what a ride!  I didn't dare release the clutch for fear of blowing  the motor and just white knuckled and puckered till the ride was over.  Higher revs and lower gears for me now going down hills!

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Magicman

Quote from: shinnlinger on April 11, 2014, 06:34:28 AMYOu won't have any problems if you stick to pulling your arch
True.  Nothing but the arch because it is the only thing on the hill with a ball hitch.
Quotemy first thought was either Las Vegas or a shotgun was involved
:D

21incher

Another quick and simple Magicman solution to an age old problem.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Don_Papenburg

Hey watch out who you are calling old. ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

elk42

Shinnlinger
Is that an auto of some kind on top of that structure.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GDinMaine

Everything, but the kitchen sink. Love it!

That's my kind of fabrication.  smiley_smash

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Clark

I thought this was going to be another post about your marriage!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: GDinMaine on April 13, 2014, 09:35:07 PM

When I pull into a new milling job and see a set up on the tractor like yours i don't no whether to be conserned or over joyed.
Could be he likes to work real hard or could be he has figured out how to not work hard :D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

GDinMaine

I could have spent $3000 on a logging winch, but I elected to fabricate the one pictured for $500 worth of parts.  No part of it was done without a specific goal or use in mind.  Works almost as well as the store-bought one, but sure beats not having one at all.

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on April 14, 2014, 01:05:07 AM
Quote from: GDinMaine on April 13, 2014, 09:35:07 PM

When I pull into a new milling job and see a set up on the tractor like yours i don't no whether to be conserned or over joyed.
Could be he likes to work real hard or could be he has figured out how to not work hard :D
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

thecfarm

Sometimes it's easier to build it your way. I have added a few things onto my tractor to make it easier for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

francismilker

The ingenuity here on FF blows me away sometimes. 8)

Nice job magic.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Magicman

Thanks all.  I had to switch it today and it was a "snap".   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!